Running

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Running

Unread postby bvpv07 » Mon May 09, 2005 10:48 pm

This is more of a training question, but during the summer, how long is too long of a run for aerobic exercise? When I'm not injured :o , I have a 3.5 - 4.5 mile route that I like to do through my neighborhood 3 times a week or so, and then another that is about 2.5 miles. I obviously don't want these to be detrimental to my runway speed. What length do you guys suggest?

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Mon May 09, 2005 11:09 pm

Well long distance running over long periods of time is almost always going to cause you to lose some runway speed isn't it?

bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Tue May 10, 2005 2:40 am

Alright, I know that. However, if I will also be doing some sprint training and enjoy using running as a cardiovascular exercise while not in season, then what is the best length & frequency that I should be going for? Or, how about this: What can I get away with doing without totally screwing up my run/stride?

scubastevesgirly
PV Pro

Unread postby scubastevesgirly » Tue May 10, 2005 10:43 am

so...this is just my opinion, and may have no validity, but I don't think long distance running will hurt your runway speed as long as you go back to only doing sprints/core/strength stuff a few months prior to competition.

I usually do a mix of distance and speed endurance, just b/c it keeps you in shape and i find it hard to do quality sprinting on my own.

But come late August, I'm back to sprints only, and I think it's workin' out ok (we don't start vault practice until november usually).

PVFLA
PV Beginner

Unread postby PVFLA » Tue May 10, 2005 11:22 am

Have you ever tried Fartlek training?
Here is a brief explination - http://www.coolrunning.com.au/expert/1997c002.shtml
This is just my opinion but i think it might solve your training issue. It gives you the best of both worlds. you get to go on distance runs and get some speed workout in at the same time. Let me know what you think, and if anyone else has an opinion on using Fartlek for off-season training i'd love to here it.

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Tue May 10, 2005 5:15 pm

i personally dont think running under 5 miles affects ur runway speed at all. if u do speed work as well as that i think it would help u out actualyl.. but iunno. i kno a kid who runs sprint workouts when he runs.. is fast at sprints too btu on the runway im alot faster than he is adn im an 800 runner.
i run, therefore im buff.

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Tue May 10, 2005 5:17 pm

if ur too lazy to read the link, fartleks are just interval training, just with longer distances.
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

scubastevesgirly
PV Pro

Unread postby scubastevesgirly » Tue May 10, 2005 6:59 pm

there seem to be a lot of ppl who run the 800 and PV...interesting combination...

There's a couple gals in our conference who run the 800 and PV real well...maybe I should take up the 800 ;)

Jennapv
PV Fan

Unread postby Jennapv » Tue May 10, 2005 10:57 pm

I do the same thing over the summers...just keep it to 5 miles or less a session and just put in a couple speed or plyo workouts once and a while.

Nothing wrong with extra cardio!

If you were doing 100mpw THEN you'd have something to worry about...
"Twenty more, Cass."

Peepers PV
PV Pro

Unread postby Peepers PV » Wed May 11, 2005 12:23 am

There are benefits to doing distance training for power athletes, and the greatest effects of these are seen in sprinters whose races are 30+ seconds.

What happens:
In endurance activities your muscles need more oxygen, so you actually recruit a type of fast twitch muscle fiber (FTa), and slowly turn it into a slow twitch muscle fiber (ST). Your FTa fibers respond by increasing the number and size of the mitochondria, increasing its lactic acid tolerance. Thus, a ST fiber from FTa has been created.

The pure sprinting fibers of FTb (these are the one's vaulters use mainly) are then recruited to replace the FTa fibers which are now ST.

Awesome, how does this help me?
This training method, if done properly slowly creates a greater FTa fiber concentration than if you had simply done power training. this is mainly because your FTa fibers are now more capable of handling lactic acid, allowing you to train pure speed (FTb) harder because you will not fatigue as easily in workouts (in sprinting, this is due to creating more lactic acid than your muscles can effectively clear). The result is a higher concentration of FTa fibers and little to no change in FTb fiber concentration.

Think of it this way: any cardio you do will only help you finish a sprint workout so that you can more effectively train your sprinting muscles. Just be sure to ease off the mileage when you want to get serious, otherwise the adaptations mentioned above won't have time to take place.

I hope this helps someone, and feel free to add/correct anything, as I don't exactly have a masters in this :P.
"look, you either join the team and go to practice or do drugs- that's just how it is! it's track or crack!" - mikey

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Wed May 11, 2005 2:29 am

It is impossible to have 100% FTa or ST, i think the max is somewhere around 80%, so no1 out there worry that u over train for your event. The diffrence from fast twitch and slow twitch is not only about how many mitochindria but how fast the electrical impulse is sent from your motor nerves to the actaully contraction of the skelatel muscles. A slow twitch muscle responds in abou .1 second, while fast twitch is about .012s. If your worried about over training with LSD or Long intervals, just remeber to try to always end ur workout with a fast paced exercise, whether it be pole runs or a couple 100s.

And this is what i wanna major in :P lol
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

BadMotherVaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter, Volunteer High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.35
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson, Jeff Hartwig

running

Unread postby BadMotherVaulter » Sun May 15, 2005 4:30 pm

well personally i run cross country and stuff and over the summer i put in 50-60 mile weeks. Anything UNDER 5 miles is kinda wasteful unless its all out.

But since in my earlier years i was a sprinter, i can attest to the fact that long distance running can affect your approach. When you run distance your muscles develop in a totally different way than sprinting muscles.

I used to be able to run 12 second 100 meter dashes (I'm slow anyway) and now i probably can't come anywhere close to that. My runway speed has been affected but i work around it, it's not that big of a deal.

I think if you do a mix of long distance work and good quality sprint work, you'll be fine.
suck it up.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”