Swing Up Faster and Stronger with Better Technique and Timing

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
advath
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have coached a 13' high school girl, 17' high school boy, NCAA Champion and number 1 HS sprinters

Swing Up Faster and Stronger with Better Technique and Timing

Unread postby advath » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:54 am

. Pole Vault Swing Up Rack
Watch "Pole Vault Swing Up Workout" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/NfptY9HR6k4
Swing Up Faster & Stronger with better Technique and Timing
Made so the coach can push the vaulter using the rear push bar teaching the vaulter to use their leg swing and hip rise correctly.
Made in the USA!
IN USE AT USA OLYMPIC TRAINING CENTER!
order online, School PO's or call (818) 261-4493 to order at:
http://www.advantageathletics.com/polevault/rack.htm
Watch "Pole Vault Swing Up Rack" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/h5-e4Vh_1Mc
FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/AdvantageAthletics/
Instagram #swinguprack https://www.instagram.com/polevaults/
REVIEWS:
Michelle Rivera:
" It really helped with getting the feel for getting inverted. Not to mention getting me super strong "
Brian Marston (MS Biomechanics):
"We used the Rack every week in our training. It was essential to shoulder and upper body strength as well as technique to get upside down on the pole."
Francis M Reiter:
"Good tool to start building those rockback muscles. Especially good for kids not quite strong enough to just muscle thru this drill. By keeping shoulders in place shoulders stay down and butt goes up!"
Captain J Sprinkles: "When Tim had me use this, way back in the day, It was functional from any hanging position honestly.
I know it helped me understand and develop that middle phase of the swing. I was no technical genius, but I knew every time we went to the "Rack" I was in for one hell of a workout that would make me a better jumper!. Fantastic piece of equipment and training aide. It will help any athlete develop the strength and feeling of what needs to happen from take off through the swing phase."
When Joshua Fuller was asked, "What happened to your vaults after training on the rack for 1 season?"
Josh said, "Foot and a half PR"
Dr. Mark Walsh (PhD Biomechanics)
"Better vaulters get their hips above their heads and the swing up rack works the muscles that get you upside down. And it works those muscles in the same range of motion that occurs during the vault. "
Melissa Estete: 13'3/4" in high school "The Swing Up Rack is really a great tool for vaulters because it helps you practice getting inverted and building that strength without having to set foot on the runway. This is one of the key drills my team and I did to become better technicians. I absolutely recommend it!"Image

We take school PO's.

***NOW THAT KIRKB (below) HAS TRIED IT***
***HE IS NOW SELLING THE POLE VAULT SWING UP RACK***
Last edited by advath on Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 12 times in total.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: How to make your swing up stronger

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:36 pm

advath wrote: This is how to make your swing up stronger.

Stronger or faster? I think "faster" is more important than "stronger". I agree that you must become stronger in order to become faster, but from the vid, I see a very SLOW swing up.

This is way too slow to suggest that it simulates how a swing "really looks and feels". Way too slow. Do you have a better vaulter that can show a faster motion using your device? :confused:

advath wrote: This is what it really looks and feels like to keep your center of mass rising after "the tap".

I agree with keeping your COM rising (Agapit's Theory of Continuous Motion), but what do you mean by "the tap"? I am not aware of a "tap" in the accepted PV vernacular, but I have heard of a few pundits that [incorrectly] refer to it. :confused:

advath wrote: Keeping your center of mass rising keeps the pole compressed (lever length short) and rotating around the pole tip (box).

You lost me. Keeping constant pressure on the pole compresses it (more and more) and rotates the pole (because of the shorter lever length, as you say), but I don't see how raising the COM does this.

Please expound.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

advath
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have coached a 13' high school girl, 17' high school boy, NCAA Champion and number 1 HS sprinters

Unread postby advath » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:45 pm

Hi Kirk.
Thanks for the qurstions.
Strength leads to speed. If you don't have the strength you won't have the speed. The 46 year old decathlete demonstrated 2 techniques in the video. 1: For speed he did a trail leg swing into a pike all the way to the bar then extended out. 2: He did the inversion up and down in an extended position creating more resistance to build strength.
This exercise was a key part of the training for high school pole vaulters Tom Parker 17' and Melissa Astete 13' 1"
The "Tap" is demonstrated in Web page above.
Denis Hohlev NCAA pole vault champion was very good at the tap. http://www.advantageathletics.com/polevault/kholev.htm
While training with Advantage Athletics Mike Tully taught me and out team the "Tap". Mike got his PB vault during that time when he was 32 years old. He said that was the only time he went past vertical when inverted.

advath
PV Whiz

Unread postby advath » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:57 pm

For every action there is an equil and opposite reaction
Shorter levers rotate faster than longer levers.
The vaulters center of mass raises from the "tap" position (or full body extension top hand to trail for to pole tip) to full extension inverted ( feet, top hand, hips, shoulders, pole tip).

When the pole vaulter tucks in (horizontal movement) that allows the pole to recoil. There is no opposite reaction of the pole recoiling. My contention is if the pole vaulter can develop the strength to keep the center of mass rising, the vaulter cn complete the inversion in an extended position with both legs over the top hand (in the we same amount of time as the tuck) rather than tucked where the pole vaulter has to split their legs reaching past their top hand with their lead leg to counter balance their top hand being in front of their shoulders.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:18 pm

advath wrote: My contention is if the pole vaulter can develop the strength to keep the center of mass rising, the vaulter can complete the inversion in an extended position with both legs over the top hand (in the same amount of time as the tuck) rather than tucked ...

:yes:

I'm with you on this. And I agree that gut strength is essential to perform this technique.

In addition, consider some more highbar drills (perhaps without the device) where the focus is more on SPEED and less on STRENGTH.

Ironically, I would have expected that a Masters vaulter would have enough core strength by his age to then just work on his swing speed. Whereas a much younger vaulter (HS) needs to first work on his STRENGTH, and THEN his SPEED. I know I'm generalizing.

But I think even a younger vaulter should work on his SPEED too - since the speed of his swing will determine how quickly he can invert - without as much of a tuck (if it's a slower swing).

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:55 pm

KirkB wrote: ... consider some more highbar drills (perhaps without the device) where the focus is more on SPEED and less on STRENGTH.

Or better yet, consider modifying your device so that it stops the backwards swing further back - at maybe about a 60 degree angle from vertical.

I think this would simulate a real-world vault more closely. :idea:

I realize that this would cost more to make, but the way it is now, it's a pure STRENGTH device, and really doesn't allow the vaulter to practise SWINGING.

Kirk

advath
PV Whiz

Unread postby advath » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:21 am

I have seen countless pole vaulted able to do all the swing up exercises on the rings and bars and still cannot get inverted on a pole.

Kirk you still haven't gone to the Web page in Advantage Athletics and clicked that video link.

Check out the versitility. It can be used manually to power the pole vaulter through most of the swing and help the pole vaulter swing faster! Or help the pole vaulter get inverted when they can't on a bar or a pole.

https://youtu.be/kPPYKywwA18

I'll add this to the first post

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:11 pm

advath wrote: Kirk you still haven't gone to the Web page in Advantage Athletics and clicked that video link.

Check out the versatility. It can be used manually to power the pole vaulter through most of the swing and help the pole vaulter swing faster! Or help the pole vaulter get inverted when they can't on a bar or a pole.

I suspect that your device is more useful than what's shown in your vids.

In your first vid, you showed a Masters vaulter that swung way too slow. i.e. he was not demoing real-world PV swing technique. :no:

In your latest vid, you show a young vaulter that swings with the trail leg tucked from the get go. It may not be his fault. It may be the fault of the height of the device. But either way, he was not demoing real-world PV swing technique either. :no:

Maybe your device works well, but your marketing vids need a makeover. Maybe you need better on-camera talent? :D

Kirk

advath
PV Whiz

Unread postby advath » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:07 pm

advath
PV Whiz

Unread postby advath » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:17 pm

In your latest vid, you show a young vaulter that swings with the trail leg tucked from the get go. It may not be his fault. It may be the fault of the height of the device. But either way, he was not demoing real-world PV swing technique either.

OMG!!! The first half the rack hangs from the only bar they have at Notre Dame HS. It's low. He has to bend his trail leg to work on building swing strength. Look at thee second half like I said above to see the rack being used to help the pole vaulter swing faster.

Why are you so hostile? The record of high school boy 17' and high school girl that trained on this speaks for itself.
Last edited by advath on Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

advath
PV Whiz

Unread postby advath » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:20 pm

In your first vid, you showed a Masters vaulter that swung way too slow. i.e. he was not demoing real-world PV swing technique.

Do your sprinters always train full speed?

I sure hope not!

advath
PV Whiz

Unread postby advath » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:37 pm

In your latest vid, you show a young vaulter that swings with the trail leg tucked from the get go. It may not be his fault. It may be the fault of the height of the device. But either way, he was not demoing real-world PV swing technique either.

OMG!!! The first half the rack hangs from the only bar they have at Notre Dame HS. It's low. He has to bend his trail leg to work on building swing strength. Look at thee second half like I said above to see the rack being used to help the pole vaulter swing faster.

Why are you so hostile? The record of high school boy 17' and high school girl 13' 1" that trained on this speaks for itself.

Want more read the reviews and testamonials in the Advantage Athletics Facebook page.
Last edited by advath on Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”