pole vault speed camp

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

pole vault speed camp

Unread postby bjvando » Thu May 01, 2003 2:26 pm

hello everyone, I had a brain storm the other day and thought that there arent any "speed camps" for pole vaulting. you know teaching the dynmaics of the run, pole carry, take off, and the strength that is needed to get to that bigger pole. A camp that builds confidence and understanding in the run of athletes that may not have a coach that has any idea what their doing.

I have a few questions:
1.) How many people would be interested? (High school or College Level)
2.) Would coaches want their kids to go to such a camp?
3.) Is it even a good idea?
4.) Would it be worth the kids time? ( the camp running anywhere from 4- 6 weeks)

any feedback (negative or positive) would be greatly appreciated

thanks, jump high.....
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

TeddyVault
PV Fan

Speed vs. Vaulting.

Unread postby TeddyVault » Thu May 01, 2003 2:57 pm

four to six weeks? Are you talking about like a session or two a week? I would think that something like a day camp to teach some principles and progressions would be great. Then a few weeks later another day camp to guage progress/gains would be good. Also, this second camp would re-install some of the principles from the first and then build on them.
Some of this happens at regular vaulting camps... But, often times there seems more emphasis on the vaulting aspect, not as much on the speed. It would be tough to work on speed for a camp and jump well for more than one session. Pure speed burns a body out pretty fast.
Interesting idea, I'm curious to see what others think of it.
Cheers
Maybe I wasn't supposed to eat those paint chips?

theflyingkorean
PV Follower

Unread postby theflyingkorean » Thu May 01, 2003 10:26 pm

I would be interested. I think that 4-6 weeks is a stretch, just as long as the athletes know the things they should work on, I'm sure that those dedicated enough to go would be dedicated enough to train from the workouts.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”