Quad injury

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Quad injury

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:15 am

help, i pulled my quad on sunday and states is in 6 days, i have been streching no vaulting and iceing and weight training and muscle rub, is there andy ideas how to help my quad out, or what i should do if its hurting still at states? thanks
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

MillerTime
PV Whiz

Re: Quad injury

Unread postby MillerTime » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:07 pm

polevaulter08nw wrote:help, i pulled my quad on sunday and states is in 6 days, i have been streching no vaulting and iceing and weight training and muscle rub, is there andy ideas how to help my quad out, or what i should do if its hurting still at states? thanks

dang i hope someone replies, im having the same problem. i just iced it and stretched it every day untill the meet. it still hurt during the meet, but after each jump, i stretched the hell out of it. i got on my stomach and my coach pulled my leg almost to my head, i did that after each jump. it still hurt, but didnt seem to get any worse, and i vaulted through the pain. that might be all you can do.
heyhey

polevaulter08nw
PV Master

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:38 pm

i did vault through it not having a good showing at states, but yeah my quad is almost better, but now i can only squat like 155, which is like almost 80 pounds less. but a really good thing to help your quad that i found out is to get a heat pack and either sleep with it or use it for like 2 or 3 hours. You can go to the trainer after school and they should have heat pads.
Indiana University '13

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:13 pm

polevaulter08nw wrote:i did vault through it not having a good showing at states, but yeah my quad is almost better, but now i can only squat like 155, which is like almost 80 pounds less. but a really good thing to help your quad that i found out is to get a heat pack and either sleep with it or use it for like 2 or 3 hours. You can go to the trainer after school and they should have heat pads.

Don't sleep with a heat pack on, you are just asking for a god burn.

bvpv07
PV Great
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:20 pm

Or even one of those "wrap it on" heating packs (like the thermacare ones). I made that mistake once and I'll never make it again...I got various interjections about the way my calf appeared: "Wow! Did a jellyfish sting you!" *it kind of looked like the suckers on the tentacles, I guess* "Dude! Did you get cleated? Or did a dirt bike just run you over?!"

Ya, not the most realistic causes...it was quite anticlimatic when I said that I got burned by a heating pad. :o
Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars

Barto
PV Great

Unread postby Barto » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:51 am

Don't over stretch an injury. The best thing to do is just ice it until the meet and then warm up as thoroughly as possible.

polevaulter08nw
PV Master

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:07 pm

i gues i should qlarify my idea of a heating pack and icing and all that, the heat pack the my trainer uses is rapped in a big pad so i doesn't get too hot on your w/e your heating, and then heated water pack that i have is also rapped in a layered cover and you out t in the microwavr ( the one that i have) for like 50 seconds and then it warms the muscle and ease the tension from the strain, for like 45 mins. The icing as i was told by my coach and trainer is for when the muscle was recently pulled, like up to 3 days after it was pulled, and then it is only so the muscle doesn't swell if it is really baddly injured. Icing it until a competition and then streching does help, but it doesn't release the tension in the muscle, so it is still tight. Yes, streching does help alot and i steched it alot, but when i strain and muscle (quad) andi try to strech, after the first sting of pain i never can feel it strech again. just trying to clearify and put my idea out there correctly. thanks
Indiana University '13

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:54 pm

polevaulter08nw wrote:i gues i should qlarify my idea of a heating pack and icing and all that, the heat pack the my trainer uses is rapped in a big pad so i doesn't get too hot on your w/e your heating, and then heated water pack that i have is also rapped in a layered cover and you out t in the microwavr ( the one that i have) for like 50 seconds and then it warms the muscle and ease the tension from the strain, for like 45 mins. The icing as i was told by my coach and trainer is for when the muscle was recently pulled, like up to 3 days after it was pulled, and then it is only so the muscle doesn't swell if it is really baddly injured. Icing it until a competition and then streching does help, but it doesn't release the tension in the muscle, so it is still tight. Yes, streching does help alot and i steched it alot, but when i strain and muscle (quad) andi try to strech, after the first sting of pain i never can feel it strech again. just trying to clearify and put my idea out there correctly. thanks

You still don't want to sleep with one of those on. That's dangerous.

polevaulter08nw
PV Master

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:02 am

yes, i tried, but i left out, that with the one that i have it won't stay hot, i totaly agree with you on the danger part! but a heating pad isn't bad a releasing muscle tension is it?
Indiana University '13

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”