Summer workouts

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
lakesidepv
PV Wannabe

Summer workouts

Unread postby lakesidepv » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:09 pm

I'm looking to setup a weekly summer workout program for my kids. I want to include lifting, running, plyos, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions? About 2-3 days/week. We're going to start up in mid-June.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Re: Summer workouts

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:37 pm

lakesidepv wrote:I'm looking to setup a weekly summer workout program for my kids. I want to include lifting, running, plyos, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions? About 2-3 days/week. We're going to start up in mid-June.

if possible make them lift on their own time, on the off days. if not, lift before you run, always. On days that you lift (should be everyone other day, usually 2-3 days a week), dont do as hard a workout on the track or you might get strains and pulls along the way. On days i lift, if i do anything i just form run, do a few plyos, and pop ups. On days you dont lift, either do your running sets or come out and do some vaulting. Try not to be tired when you are vaulting because its dangerous and you will be lazy, making yourself do it the wrong way. Im always stressed with what my workout should be during the week, because while i want to vault i know that weight room work will get you stronger. My suggestion is during the summer, make sure you lift 3 times a week and stay in good running condition, not excellent, however. Just build as much strength as possible, because once the season starts we all know you cut down on lifting time, and thats when you start real vault workouts. Just a suggestion, theres tons of them out there, good luck!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”