Sky's the limit for Sarina athletes (Australia)

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Sky's the limit for Sarina athletes (Australia)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:47 am

http://www.dailymercury.com.au/localspo ... ubsection=

Sky's the limit for Sarina athletes

WHO would have thought that Sarina would be the home of the north’s only pole vaulting squad?
Sarina coach Paul Hallett, who has been coaching all aspects of athletics for the past 32 years, has decided to turn his hand to the pole vault.

When Hallett’s son Luke, qualified for the national under 17 development squad as a decathlete, he soon found that coaches for the pole vault, one of the events in the decathlon, were few and far between.

Having vaulted in England in his younger years, Hallett realised it was up to him.

After only three training sessions Luke was vaulting over the national qualifying standard for his age.

Soon other athletes were also showing an interest so Hallett decided to put a squad together.
The majority of training can be done locally but the only pole vaulting mats in the north are situated at Townsville, which means a lengthy trip each time any actual vaulting is done.

This, coupled with the fact that a cheap vaulting pole is worth around $500, means that this event is certainly for the dedicated athlete. However, anyone 14 years or over who is experienced in athletics or gymnastics, preferably both, and would like to find out more about becoming a pole vaulter, should contact Paul Hallett on 49540748, keeping in mind that numbers in the squad are limited.

Another event unique to the Sarina club is the hammer throw.

Sarina has the only full-sized hammer cage in the district with Bowen and Clermont clubs the nearest outside Townsville. Athletes 14 years to veterans can compete in hammer at a number of carnivals through the season and at senior club days at the Sarina oval.

The club has all the equipment needed and offers free coaching to its members.

For further information please contact Ken Dickson on 49432234.

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Re: Sky's the limit for Sarina athletes (Australia)

Unread postby theczar » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:36 pm

It's been 3 years since my last post on this site, and roughly the same amount of time from the last time I picked up a pole. I've since graduated college and started my career. My career ended up taking me to Queensland, Australia, where I've been living for the last year. On a whim, I decided to look up pole vault clubs nearby. I should tell you, that pole vaulting is an extremely uncommon sport down here, due to strict government policies and ridiculous insurance rates. I was surprised to find that the only pole vault club within a 500km radius was 30 min from the town I live in. And I found it here on polevaultpower via google. Looks like I'm going to be getting back in to coaching at the Sarina Athletics Club! Hopefully I'll be posting a bit more often again, this time with questions about kids I'm teaching.

Lookout, polevaultpower! theczar is back!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:34 am

Welcome back!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:09 am

Yes indeed welcome to OZ - it is a bit different here. But don't forget to order a copy of Beginner to Bubka 2 plus the dvd. There are a couple of good vault coaches in Queensland. One Ray Boyd - dual Olympian, former commonwealth champion - coaching hs daughter Alana -4 th ranked in the world last year and son Matt - 5.35. A good guy -Spirit rep - who will do anything to help. I am probably 2500 miles away!! :D
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - International”