Olympic Women's Finals - Isi 5.05 WR, Stuczynski 4.80

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
PVCookieman
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent
Lifetime Best: 16-6
Favorite Vaulter: Earl Bell

Re: Live Updates from Women's Finals - Discuss here only!

Unread postby PVCookieman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:37 pm

sooch90 wrote:I watched it too. I'm extremely pissed at NBC. They showed the video of Isi and 2 vaults (of Steiner and Stuczynski) before switching to women's discus and then beach volleyball. They did not show the world record! Ridiculous garbage

I'm confident they are just manipulating their program format.....luring people on to watch later, and later. I hope they wouldn't show a piece on an athlete like they just showed on her, then limit the event coverage to what we just saw. If they do, they ARE losers.

The Bahamian link had MUCH more coverage on the live broadcast.

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:39 pm

What? Does NBC or the "webgods" think that the couple hundred or so of us are the only ones interested in the pole vault? GEEZ! I can't even find a web page that has the finals videos. Oh well, maybe tomorrow. By the way Becca, and Bruce and the rest of you who contributed to the updates, thanks. Shame on me, but I was driving up I-94 reading your posts on my PDA. I'm guessing it wasn't the most safe thing in the world to do at 70MPH.............but hey? This is Olympic pole vaulting we're talking about here. Later...........Mike

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:21 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=ap-insidetherings&prov=ap&type=lgns

“She must respect me and … know her position,” she said. “Now she knows it.”
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:28 pm

Yeah, it looks like anyone watching on the west coast cans safely go to dinner and maybe catch a movie after that 10-minute segment and not miss anything. :mad:

Yep... 7:45-7:50 and 10:45-10:50, then probably another 5 minutes somewhere around midnight. :no:

BobbyMoVault
PV Newbie
Expertise: College Vaulter, High School Coach, Fan

Unread postby BobbyMoVault » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:56 pm

I just finished watching the womens pole vault finals and i was extremely impressed with Jen. However i didn't like how her coach acted towards her afterwards...it was almost as if he was disappointed in her. I mean she has only been vaulting for 4 years, was facing the best woman vaulter in history, and won a silver medal. In my opinion she did great!
"Pole vaulting is 90% mental...The other half is physical."

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:16 am

She finished 4¾ inches below her PR in the biggest meet of her career. He was disappointed in her performance. And I'm sure she was too. But I suspect that he knows her well enough to know what she needs to hear. I don't think this is gonna make her all weepy. I imagine it's gonna make her mad, and make her work that much harder.

jcoover
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Nicholas Panozzo

Unread postby jcoover » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:17 am

BobbyMoVault wrote:I just finished watching the womens pole vault finals and i was extremely impressed with Jen. However i didn't like how her coach acted towards her afterwards...it was almost as if he was disappointed in her. I mean she has only been vaulting for 4 years, was facing the best woman vaulter in history, and won a silver medal. In my opinion she did great!

I agree 100%. When you face the defending world indoor and outdoor champ, olympic champ, WR holder (from only a few weeks ago no less) etc. etc. I dunno what you can expect really. Jenn did great in jumping fairly close to her PR and earning a silver medal. Not sure how she was expected to PR by 15cm and set a world record on the biggest stage in history. I think she deserved some congratulations, and it saddened me to watch her walk away from her coach looking disappointed in herself. That's just not right. Look at how encouraging the gymnastics coaches are, even when their athletes make mistakes. They recognize the amount of time and work that the athlete has dedicated to their dreams and how proud they are of the athlete for that. I wish Jenn would have been able to walk away from the conversation feeling as if she did a fantastic job, which she did.
"We can, by God, let our demons loose and just wail on!" - John L Parker

kmonty51
PV Fan

Unread postby kmonty51 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:24 am

I'm glad someone else felt the way I do about that lecture Stuzinski got from her coach after the event was over. He said a couple good things at the end, but man, who wants to dedicate themselves to four more years of training when winning silver gets that kind of response? I've always felt good coaching is partially about knowing when to be tough and when to build your athlete up. Maybe I just don't understand the psychological aspects of coaching at that level...?

Hey Souleman - don't be driving like that. I teach kids to drive on that same highway. Pull over, then watch, buddy. Besides, I'd hate to miss out on some of those e-mails we've exchanged if you got crunched!!
"How old would ya be if ya didn't know how old ya was?" - Satchel Paige

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:26 am

Here's today's AllSport.ru Isinterview...

21:27 18.08.2008 - Athletics - Olympic Athletics Tournament
Yelena Isinbaeva: Winning without a world record wouldn’t make me so a very very happy

Today, August 18th, in Beijing at the Olympic light-athletics tournament Yelena Isinbaeva became a double Olympic champion and 24-fold world record breaker in the women’s pole vault. She gave all the details of her victory to the special correspondent of the Agency of Sport Information "All Sport", after appearing in the mixed zone with a pink plush dolphin in her hands.

- Lena, what’s the significance of the little dolphin?
- This is my little talisman, which brings me luck.

- Do you still collect dolphins?
- Well, probably I’m too grown up now to collect dolphins. I just like them very much – I have them here (showing a ring), and here (showing her earrings)… It would be simpler to say where I don’t have them.

- What was most difficult today?
- Probably keeping my emotions under control. I wanted to quickly get into battle, but like always, I had to wait a bit longer the other participants to come in. The anticipation was a little wearisome. But in other respects – everything was just wonderful!

- Today you won after just two jumps - at 4.70 and 4.85 m. Was this easy or difficult?
- Those jumps were easy. Frankly, I hadn’t expected to win so quickly. I thought that there would be some competition or that something unexpected would happen. And hardly anything happened – I was already at 4.95 and the Olympic champion, and I’d barely used my first two attempts (laughing).

- But was there any doubt?
- No. I was very confident. And I knew that, if not everyone, then very many, believed in me. Indeed, you believed in me, right? Thank you!

- Before the Olympics, you suggested that to win in Beijing, you’d need to set a world record. But today, 4.85 sufficed for gold. Why were you mistaken?
- Well, I was still talking about my victory. Because without a world record, winning wouldn’t make me so very-very happy. In fact, my primary goal was to set a world record at the Olympics. I’ve wanted this since 2004, since the Games in Athens. I understand that people think in categories: Isinbaeva - world record. And if Isinbaeva won without a world record – it’s not a victory.

- Describe all three of your jumps at 5.05.
- On the first attempt the standards were a little too far back, I didn’t get on the pole strongly, barely touched the bar with my chest - and it fell. On the second, I ran poorly, extended my steps, the pole stood up - and I basically fell flat on the bar. But on the third, my coach Vitaly Afanasevich Petrov and I adjusted the standards, adjusted my run, I took a deep breath, went - and made it.

- Was everything as simple as you’ve described?
- Well, how simple… Only the tale is simple. I can’t convey what was going on inside me. Inside everything was boiling, I was quivering outside, but I tried to control myself, and not show what was happening.

- If you’re going to win the Olympic Games with a world record, weren’t you afraid of using up all your emotions in your two prior world records this season?
- Not at all! On the contrary, these were such shots at my rivals.

- Which of your three Olympic Games was the most difficult?
- I can’t say that they were difficult… In Sydney in 2000, I didn’t even get past qualifications, although I went there for a medal (laughing). In Athens in 2004 my chances for victory were put at perhaps 80 percent to 20. Some still thought another sportswoman would win. But in Beijing 100 percent of the people were already certain of my victory; no one had any doubt. And psychologically - entirely psychologically - these Olympics were the most difficult. Because I’ve became, for example, more widely recognized. Here I don’t go around in the Olympic village. I’ve sat in my room from August 14th until today.

- Who brought food to your room?
- Well, I’ve actually been to the dining room. I pull down my baseball cap; wear dark glasses, trying to remain anonymous. But at the same time, I think going around alone like this, trying to deflect attention, draws it instead, and I simply look ridiculous.

- How did you feel about your coach’s demeanor today?
- Strangely (laughing). After 4.85 he behaved as if I hadn’t yet won the Olympics – quiet and imperturbable. I was rejoicing: we won, we did it! I began to smile, and blow kisses… But he said: calm down, you still have to jump the world record, so relax and get yourself together! This conversation was right before my third attempt at 4.95.

- At this time you didn’t cover yourself with a towel, but with a blanket. Wasn’t it hot?
- Oy, very hot. But it helped.

- What were you thinking about at this point?
- Nothing extraneous. I tried to gather all my strength into a fist and remember the jumps I’d done in Rome and Monaco – for the world records.

- What thoughts were going through your head today, when it was in the air at five meters?
- So, yet another record, the 24th! I was already counting (laughing). Although, of course, today’s record is quite unique. Winning the Olympics with a world record - this is so cool!

- Would you call your current jumping technique ideal?
- Well-l-l… No. Let the answer be - no. But I’m still okay with it. (laughing) But I really liked my 5.05 jump.

- After this victory and record your patience was phenomenal – you spent more than an hour in the mixed zone! Is this sincerity or professionalism?
- It’s all from my heart! I really appreciate that so many people are waiting for me, sometimes for several hours. They come to the stadiums for me, and the press conferences. It means I’m not such a bad person. Every journalist makes me a little more popular in his country. Thanks for my PR! (laughing)

- You train a lot in Ukraine, and your coach is from there. Do you already consider it your second homeland?
- Oh, I have so many connections with Ukraine! For example, I now have a boyfriend from Ukraine - Artem. But will I move there? I’d rather bring Artem to Russia.

- You’re the Russian team captain for Athletics. Will we see you in the stands tomorrow, with a Russian flag, supporting your fellow countrymen?
- Of course! Although I'm not sure that I’ll be able to watch the competition. I’m afraid most of the time I’ll have to give out autographs. It may be that my only salvation will be the VIP-grandstand. (laughing)

- You’ll keep jumping until London-2012?
- Yes, of course. This is my goal, at least. I want to win in London with a world record - and leave with a clear conscience.

Hopefully we'll hear a bit more from her now that the she's done with the "big meet" of the year. I understand she's been laying low to maintain focus, but it's been awfully frustrating for me. :crying:

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:11 am

gymnastsrock wrote:And women's uneven bars finished finished about a half hour ago. An American (Nastia Liukin) and a Chinese(He Kexin) tied! They broke the tie with execution scores, so the (most likely) underage Chinese girl will be taking home the gold, and another (most likely) underage Chinese girl wil get bronze. I am so upset! Nastia's routine was much much better.

Umm yeah, I came here for women's pole vault final results not to have the gymnastic results ruined for me.
wo xi huan cheng gan tiao.

patchdoggydogg
PV Nerd

Re: Olympic Women's Finals - Isi 5.05 WR, Stuczynski 4.80

Unread postby patchdoggydogg » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:12 am

Interesting take on Jenn & Rick Suhr and his post-meet reaction from one of the leading web sites on the pole vault, letsrun.com:

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read. ... ad=2631633

gjb
PV Newbie

Re: Olympic Women's Finals - Isi 5.05 WR, Stuczynski 4.80

Unread postby gjb » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:20 am

Jenn's coach should never have lectured her the way he did after winning the silver medal. There is a time and place to break down her performance and that was not the time for her coach to do so, especially on television and an international audience. The coach should have congratulated her more enthusiatisticly and just enjoy the momement. Her coach owes her an apology which I doubt will happen.

Return to “Pole Vault - International”