Hooker injures adductor

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Hooker injures adductor

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:26 am

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sp ... -ei6e.html

Hooker in doubt for world titles
John Salvado
August 12, 2009 - 5:54PM
Reigning Olympic pole vault champion Steve Hooker faces a race against time to be fit for the world athletics championships after suffering a thigh injury.

Hooker suffered a grade one tear in the adductor muscle in his right leg during a training session in the German city of Leverkusen on Monday.

Speaking on Wednesday, he rated himself at best only a 50 per cent chance of being fit for the qualifying round on August 20.

But he will continue to have around-the-clock treatment in a bid to compete in Berlin.

Hooker, 27, was the outright gold medal favourite for the world title, having been beaten only twice since his unforgettable Olympic triumph in Beijing 12 months ago.

It's another serious blow the Australian team, who are already without both of their reigning world champions - 400m hurdler Jana Rawlinson (back) and 50km walker Nathan Deakes (hamstring) - due to injury.

Hooker was named Australian team captain at a function on Wednesday.

Olympic pole vault silver medallist Yevgeny Lukyanenko of Russia is a definite non-starter in Berlin, having pulled out last month due to serious illness.

The championships begin in the German capital on Saturday.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: Hooker injures adductor

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:35 am

BTW, grade one is the least severe type, grade three is the most serious.

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:44 am

I feel that as long as he doesn't hurt it again before or during the competition then i feel that he will be able to jump 5.80 no problem. But man, what is up with everyone being injured this year!?
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:03 pm

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/w ... -eih2.html

World title hopes torn as captain Hooker pulls thigh muscle in training
Dan Silkstone in Berlin
August 13, 2009 - 12:04AM
IT WAS supposed to be one of the proudest days of Steve Hooker's life but the Beijing gold medallist - unveiled on Tuesday as captain of Australia's athletics team - looked gutted as he announced he was in danger of missing the world championships with a thigh injury.

The bad news threw the Australian camp into turmoil three days before competition begins in Berlin. A tear of the adductor muscle in his right thigh, sustained at training on Monday, has Hooker pessimistic about his chances of competing next week.

''I am 50-50 at best,'' Hooker said of his chances of reaching the runway and adding a world championship gold to the Olympic one he snared last year.

''It's the weirdest thing, I've never had an injury anything like this before.''

Hooker had laid low during the past 24 hours, sparking speculation he was battling a recurrence of the knee soreness that plagued him earlier this year. The truth was even more worrying: an adductor muscle torn at the pre-championships team camp. ''On Monday night in Leverkusen, I was just going through a normal eight-step pole vault drill and I just felt it go when I took off,'' he said. ''It's just such bad timing.''

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:05 pm

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/inj ... 51382.html

Hooker initially believed the injury was only minor but the pain worsened and an MRI scan on Tuesday night after the team arrived in Berlin confirmed it was more serious.

The grade-one tear requires up to a month to heal but that is a luxury Hooker cannot afford. ''I'm giving myself every chance and until I go out there to compete or I withdraw. That's the mentality I have to have if I am to have any chance of going out there and being competitive,'' he said. ''I've got to stay positive, keep thinking about the final and what it is going to take to jump high.''

Coach Alex Parnov said he could not believe his charge's bad luck in sustaining a debilitating injury on the eve of competition and at a time when Hooker was in absolutely top shape. Internal testing had shown in the days before the injury that Hooker was faster on the runway than ever and was poised for an eyecatching performance. ''It's just very frustrating,'' Parnov said.

Even if he is able to make the start list next Thursday, Hooker will not have been able to complete any training for more than a week and will be severely underdone in his preparation. In the lead-up to the championships he will be limited to gentle walking exercises while his rivals - including emerging French contender Renaud Lavillenie - fine-tune their preparations.

The news is a serious blow to Australia's medal chances. Hooker has enjoyed a golden year in which he was defeated only once, and continued with a string of clearances above the six-metre mark across the early northern hemisphere season.

It culminated with a personal best and Australian record of 6.06 metres set in Boston in February.

Many had wondered aloud whether the 27-year-old might be the man to finally break Sergei Bubka's world record of 6.15 metres and whether Berlin's Olympic Stadium might be an excellent place to do it. That prospect appears a forlorn hope now. Hooker is the most identifiable face of the Australian team and athletics officials had been hoping to piggyback on his success to usher in a new era for the sport.

Yesterday at the official team function, the pole vaulter was named as the captain of a team rebranded as the Australian Flame, a new moniker designed to highlight the sport's central role in the four-yearly Olympic showcase.

Hooker said he was still desperate to compete and would only pull out if there was a risk of making the injury worse. But while he spoke about the need for optimism, the devastation he felt was writ large on his face. Asked how late he could leave the decision to compete, he said: ''One minute before it starts.''

Team doctors have been icing the injury constantly since Monday and will begin aggressive physiotherapy today. Hooker will also have regular injections of a homeopathic remedy into the area underneath his right thigh in an attempt to speed up knitting of the torn muscle fibres.

''The first five days are crucial and if we get that right then, the athlete that Steve is - I'm confident he'll be able to compete,'' said high-performance director Eric Hollingsworth. Hollingsworth said the potential loss of Hooker - a popular leader among the team - would not distract other competitors. ''I think they are all so focused on their own preparation that it won't be a problem,'' he said. ''But we've got to make sure now that not only does he help lead them but they support him through this difficult time that he has got.''

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:41 pm

:crying:
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:24 am

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... nT-eOphOpQ

Olympic pole vault champ Hooker '50-50' for worlds
(AFP) – 5 hours ago
SYDNEY — Olympic pole vault champion Steve Hooker is rated a '50-50' chance of competing at the Berlin world track and field championships after he was injured in training, Athletics Australia said on Thursday.
Hooker, the Australian team captain, strained an adductor muscle in his right leg on Monday, with scans revealing a grade one tear, AA said in a statement.
"I was training and did a take off and felt something in my adductor," Hooker said in the statement.
"The injury took place ten days before qualifying so I guess at this point I am a 50/50 (per cent chance) at best of competing.
"We are going to do whatever we can to treat it aggressively and get me in as good of a position as we can before the qualifying round."
Hooker, 27, said he would work with team medical staff and his coach Alex Parnov to give himself the best possible chance of being fit for competition ahead of the qualifying round of the pole vault on August 20.
"It is going to be a day-by-day process to figure out where we are at," Hooker said.
"I am getting a series of injections over this week and I definitely won?t be doing any pole vaulting before the qualifying to test it out. If it comes down to it, the first time I will be jumping will be in the qualifying."
Hooker said his main concern was the risk of greater injury.
"If I can go out there with a level of confidence that I am not going to make the injury worse, then I will go out there and jump."
Hooker is viewed as Australia's best chance to add a world title to his impressive resume in Berlin.
He set an Olympic record of 5.96 metres and became Australia's first-ever field gold medallist when he won in Beijing last August.
Hooker is the second-highest vaulter of all time behind the six-time world champion Sergey Bubka (6.15m) with a best clearance of 6.06m in Boston last year.
The 12th IAAF World Championships get underway in Berlin on Saturday.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:27 am

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 22,00.html

Steve Hooker rated 50-50 to compete Berlin
Font Size:DecreaseIncreasePrint Page:Print
August 13, 2009

Article from: Agence France-Presse
STEVE Hooker has two very important jobs to perform in the upcoming days at the world athletics championships.

Clearly, the first is to do everything possible to overcome a torn thigh muscle in time for the qualifying round of the pole vault on August 20.

That will mean around-the-clock medical treatment to the grade one adductor tear he suffered during a routine training session on Monday.

Although he rates his chances of competing in Berlin as “50-50 at best”, Hooker is prepared to give himself until the last minute to get the injury right.

“I'm going to think that I'm going to go out there and compete,” he said.

“And that's the mentality I'm going to have to have of being competitive - there's no choice.

“You've got to stay positive, keep looking towards the final and thinking about what it's going to take to jump high.”

The second role for Hooker to fulfil in Berlin is as captain of the newly-rebranded Australian Flame.
And the Olympic champion can see no reason why the two can't be complementary.

“For me (the captaincy) gives me something else to focus on,” said the 27-year-old Hooker.

“I can try and help the other guys compete as well as they can and give them advice and lead them in a way I wouldn't have been able to if I was 100 per cent focused on my competition.

“So in that sense it's an opportunity.”

Hooker says it's up to the 46 team members to define what their new moniker of the Australian Flame really means.

“As a group we need to look out for each other, create a culture that makes people want to be a member of this team, that makes people look up to us and think it's something to aspire to,” he said.

“That's up to us, how we act, how we conduct ourselves in the field of competition ... how we look after each other and how we make each other feel as a member of the team.”

AAP

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:05 pm

http://www.runnerstribe.com/worldchamps ... icles4.php
Steve Hooker Interview - Injured
© 2009 The Runner's Tribe, all rights reserved. Published Thursday August 13, 2009

Brought to you by Edward Ovadia who is in Berlin with official IAAF accreditation covering the championships for Runnerstribe.com

Runnerstribe: Steve, we heard you had an injury recently, how's it coming along?

Steve Hooker: Well I had an MRI last night, which found a bit of tear in my right adductor, so it's going to be hard work to get back for the qualifying round, but the aim is to get back there and see how it goes.

RT: When did you hurt yourself, how did it happen?

SH: It was in training, on Monday.

RT: So you're still not sure if you'll compete at all?

SH: Yeah, if I'm not 100% right by the time the qualifying round comes around, I won't be competing, it's not worth risking it.

More...

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:07 pm

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 88,00.html

Australia's other main gold medal hope, Steve Hooker, has taken some positive steps in his race against time to recover from a thigh injury.

The Olympic pole vault champion is now rated a 70 per cent chance of competing next week after getting through a series of exercises yesterday including hopping and lateral movement drills.

He will have another injection in his adductor tomorrow to accelerate the healing process. The qualifying round for the pole vault is on Thursday morning.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:50 am

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 88,00.html

Injured Steve Hooker on thin ice

Scott Gullan
August 17, 2009 07:44pm
A DEATH or glory strategy will be employed by Steve Hooker should he recover from his thigh injury in time for Thursday's pole vault qualifying.

The gold medal favourite is slowly improving but admitted yesterday he still won't know if he is going to compete in the world championships until probably an hour before the event.

Hooker suffered a tear to his adductor in a training mishap in Cologne last week.

The injury normally has a 21-day healing period yet the Australian team captain is trying to make it happen inside 10 days.

"The situation is moving forward as well as it possibly could and I am making progress every day," Hooker said.

"I have done my course of injections that I was going to have and I'm probably better odds than I first gave myself when I first arrived in Berlin.

"I was 50-50 then and maybe I have moved up to 60-40 now."

Should he get on the runway, the reigning Olympic champion will raise the bar to the automatic qualifying height of 5.65m to get straight into the final.

"If I do jump that is (jumping less) what is going to happen, particularly in the qualifying round anyway," Hooker said.

"I'll probably put the pole a bit higher and try and just get one jump out because after the qualifying round it is 56 hours before the final and that's a lot of time in healing."

Hooker, who became the second highest vaulter in history when he cleared 6.06m in February, has increased his workload in training in recent days but won't pick up a pole until the qualifying round.

"It is going to be a last-minute decision as to whether I jump and I am not going to make that decision today or tomorrow," he said.

"I've just got to do everything I can to try and get myself to the line.

"In training I have been doing easy accelerations up to maybe 60 or 70 per cent and I put on spikes for the first time yesterday but once again it was very easy stuff."

After going to the Olympic Stadium on the first two nights of competition, the 27-year-old admits watching Usain Bolt's amazing world record got his competitive juices flowing.

"While it has been frustrating I have at least enjoyed a bit of a different experience," Hooker said.

"I have been out to the track the last couple of nights and they have been really great nights of athletics.

"I have enjoyed having a little bit less pressure on my competition and a little bit less focus on it.

"I'm just trying to make the most of the experince of being here, of being the team captain and hopefully that works out as a positive when I do jump.

"I really want to compete, especially after being at the stadium last night and feeling the atmosphere. Emotionally I really want to compete but at the end of the day you have to make the smart decision as well.

"This is also about my long-term health and being able to jump for a long time for Australia. If I feel like I am going to go out there and tear my adductor off then I'm not going to go out and do that."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:39 am

A few extra snippets from the Aussie press

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/hoo ... 29947.html

Yesterday, he said he gave himself at least a 60 per cent chance of competing, less than the 70 per cent figure suggested by head coach Eric Hollingsworth two days ago. ''I think he is being optimistic with that,'' he said.

The Australian has resumed light training in the past 48 hours, including running, and will give himself as long as possible to make the decision. He is likely to arrive at the stadium ready to compete on Thursday and see how his thigh feels in the warm-up.

''It's frustrating,'' he said. ''It really is a case of bad luck.

''I didn't feel like there was any warning signs before the injury … for it to happen 10 days before the qualifying round is pretty disappointing after what I felt was a pretty good preparation.''

Taking off will be the big problem. Hooker is walking and jogging without pain now but will not have attempted a jump and does not know whether his body can handle it.

Return to “Pole Vault - International”