Feofanova vs. Isinbayeva

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
roger/over
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; University Coach; Masters Vaulter; PV Stats
Lifetime Best: 4.60 at 44
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragila

Feofanova vs. Isinbayeva

Unread postby roger/over » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:38 pm

Rainbowgirl’s post of the European Championships results on Friday, showing Svetlana Feofanova winning at 4.75m (trailing only Jenn Suhr at 4.89 and Fabiana Murer at 4.85 in this year's rankings) caused me to wonder how Feofanova had fared, over the years, against compatriot Yelena Isinbayeva. Not the first time I had wondered, but this time I looked up some data on the comparison. I’ll share with you what I found.

When I checked my file of national records improvements, I found that Isinbayeva had bettered the Russian outdoor record 14 times, while Feofanova had improved the record 9 times and tied it another. On the indoor record, though, Feofanova has improved the record 14 times, while Isinbayeva 13. Interesting, because I had thought Isinbayeva even more successful indoors. There’s some possibility of error in this comparison, since I’ve accumulated the file as I learned of record changes over the years and might have missed some.

For a more comprehensive look at the comparison, I turned, as I almost always do, to Mirko Jalava’s website <tilastopaja.org>. There, in his biography section, he makes it possible in each vaulter’s bio to find a comprehensive summary of that vaulter’s meet placings against any other vaulter of your selection. Great!

For Feofanova vs. Isinbayeva, Mirko shows a total of 83 competitions from 1999 to 2010, with Isinbayeva placing higher in 50 of these, Feofanova in 31, and 2 tied. A slightly more detailed comparison, because all data seemed to reflect a sharp change in their competitions near the end of the 2003 season, indeed shows Feofanova placing higher, 27 to 10, in their contests from 1999 to 2003 and Isinbayeva higher, 40 to 4, in those from 2004 to the present.

Clearly, Isinbayeva holds an overall advantage. I think, though, that it is equally clear that Feofanova deserves plaudits for continuing her own vaulting aspirations and accomplishments despite losing her one-time position as her country’s leader. Her win over Isinbayeva in the 2010 World Indoor Championships was the first in over two years. Way to hang tough, Svetlana!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Feofanova vs. Isinbayeva

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:17 pm

roger/over wrote:Clearly, Isinbayeva holds an overall advantage. I think, though, that it is equally clear that Feofanova deserves plaudits for continuing her own vaulting aspirations and accomplishments despite losing her one-time position as her country’s leader. Her win over Isinbayeva in the 2010 World Indoor Championships was the first in over two years. Way to hang tough, Svetlana!

Not only was Feofanova her county's leader, she has also held a few World Records and won several major championships. She does deserve major props for sticking in there despite being under the HUGE shadow of Isinbayeva. Feofanova had no way of knowing that Isi would break down and take a year off, I am glad that Feofanova hung in there and continues to perform at a high level. I'd love to her her get back in the 4.80+ range!

slvr1969
PV Whiz
Favorite Vaulter: Yelena Isinbayeva

Unread postby slvr1969 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:12 pm

With a injured ego will Yelena be the same vaulter or better?

roger/over
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; University Coach; Masters Vaulter; PV Stats
Lifetime Best: 4.60 at 44
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragila

Unread postby roger/over » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Feofanova Records

As you will have noted above, rainbowgirl reported that,

“Not only was Feofanova her country's leader, she has also held a few World Records and won several major championships.”

To add a few specifics, I can supply the following, as usual owing much of the information to Mirko Jalava <tilastopaja.org>:

Feofanova Major Championships

World Championships Gold 2003
World Championships Silver 2001
World Championships Bronze 2007
World Indoor Championships Gold 2003
World Indoor Championships Silver 2001, 2010
World Indoor Championships Bronze Medalist 2004, 2005
Olympics Silver 2004
Olympics Bronze 2008
European Championships Gold 2002, 2010
European Indoor Championships Gold 2002, 2007

World Records (WR) and World Bests (WIR. WOB)

Until 1 January 2000, World Records could only be set outdoors. Prior to that date, best indoor marks were classified as World Indoor Records. As of 1 January 2000, World Records are the best performances, indoors or out. Best indoor marks, if inferior to the World Record, are still World Indoor Records. Outdoor marks, if inferior to the World Record are only classified as World Outdoor Best.

Indoor Records

4.64i* Svetlana Feofanova (RUS) 2/11/01 Dortmund WR
4.71i* Svetlana Feofanova (RUS) 2/03/02 Stuttgart WIR
4.72i* Svetlana Feofanova (RUS) 2/06/02 Stockholm WIR
4.73i* Svetlana Feofanova (RUS) 2/10/02 Ghent WIR
4.74i* Svetlana Feofanova (RUS) 2/24/02 Lievin WIR
4.75i* Svetlana Feofanova (RUS) 3/03/02 Vienna WIR
4.76i* Svetlana Feofanova (RUS) 2/2/03 Glasgow WIR
4.77i* Svetlana Feofanova (RUS) 2/21/03 Birmingham WIR
4.80i* Svetlana Feofanova (RUS) 3/16/03 Birmingham WIR
4.85i* Svetlana Feofanova (RUS) 2/22/04 Athína WR

Outdoor Record

4.88* Svetlana Feofanova (RUS) 7/4/04 Iráklio WR

It’s worth noting, I think, that Feofanova’s WR of 2001 interrupted what would have been a sequence of 8 WRs by Stacy Dragila and her WR of 2004 similarly interrupted a sequence of 19 WRs by Yelena Isinbayeva. This suggests strongly that Feofanova’s record tally might have been considerably higher, except for the misfortune of her career overlapping that of two of history’s four vaulters most productive in world records. (The other two top WR holders were Emma George, with 15, and Daniela Bartok, with 9.)

Return to “Pole Vault - International”