Another young New Zealand Vaulter

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
dougb
PV Whiz
Expertise: elite vaulter - Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.4 m
Favorite Vaulter: Feofanova

Another young New Zealand Vaulter

Unread postby dougb » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:52 pm

http://www.athletics.org.nz/Article.aspx?ID=7291

15/11/2010 4:06:02 p.m.
AUCKLAND
Athletics, Mt Smart Stadium – 13 November 2010
Nicholas Southgate lived up to his expectations, he predicted last week, in the pole vault at the battle of the regions meeting on Saturday.
The 16 year old not only qualified for the world youth championships in Lille France next year but also claimed the New Zealand M16 record.
Southgate cleared 4.75m on his second attempt, for the world championships qualifier. He then had the bar raised to 4.80m which he was successful at, also on his second attempt, for the New Zealand record.
The national M16 champion said that the 4.80m clearance came as a big surprise for him.
“I was aiming for the 4.75m for the world youth standard, the next height is just an added bonus really,” he said.
“Apparently I was well over it, I’m happy with the jump and I just go on from there,” said Southgate.
He had one attempt at 5.00m, but was unsuccessful.
“My next goal is 4.90m which is the standard for a New Zealand M17 record and by the time of the world youths 5.00m would be perfect,” he said.
The older I get, The better I was.

Return to “Pole Vault - International”