Daegu Wild Card: Lázaro Borges

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Daegu Wild Card: Lázaro Borges

Unread postby VaultPurple » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:15 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yygN40lO ... dded#at=14

He looks to be coming into form at the perfect time of the year. Yes his run is absolutely atrocious, but i could easily see a 5.85 jump out of him if not a 5.90 if he put everything together perfect. He had good height over everything, just seemed like he couldn't tell where the bar was.

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Re: Daegu Wild Card: Lázaro Borges

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:04 pm

This is the first time I have really seen video of him. I have to disagree with you. His run is unorthodox, but not absolutely atrocious.

You see what he is doing at first to me it resembles a LJ and TJ run up. Efficient for the vault probably not, but notice once he gets inside 5 lefts or so to go. Honestly this is some of the best postural running and execution of a takeoff from a running and jumping perspective out there. His posture on left foot contact is impressive. This young man is a pure Long Jumper learning to pole vault IMO.

Lets take a closer look. he does a skip start into 10 lefts not textbook, but notice the tip it doesn't drop a ton he keeps it relatively high. Take the pole out of his hand and he looks like a LJ/TJ in many of their approaches. The transition from last right to last left is mind boggling how good he does this with a pole. Most want to drive into the box thus causing them to lean backwards and sink upon left foot contact, he stays over his feet and moves his truck through the takeoff. He sets up the transfer of energy into the pole so well. You call his run up atrocious. I call it unique, but when it matters most he is in perfect position to load the pole with energy I have not seen many better. Look at 37 seconds and as a vaulter try to mimic that. This is where as vaulters most to all fail they are sinking he is raising before contact with the back of the box. When he hits the left leg their is no slack or sinking, he hits it stiff and is rising. He is springing off the ground like a LJ, he is not trying to jump by pushing. He is in optimal position to support the impact of the pole.

I'll say it now based off watching this video next year he will be one of the top 3 guys to beat based off speed and posture at takeoff alone in 2012 and beyond. The rest of his jump is pretty sound too. I have no clue what length or stiffness poles he is on. So unless he is only jumping on 5 meter poles and has not moved to 5.10's or 5.20's or can not rotate a stiff enough pole in relation to body weight, he will give everyone a run for their money in 2012. Impressive!

wurster490
PV Whiz
Lifetime Best: 5.51m

Unread postby wurster490 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:52 pm

He is a super powerful pretty small guy. I jumped with him this year in Brazil and he was on a 5m 16.0 or 15.5 when he jumped 5.70 there and nearly made 5.75.

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:36 pm

Pretty impressive indeed what he does at the end of the run. Would he be able to generate more speed or be in a better position if he ran "normal" from the start?

ADTF Academy wrote:This is the first time I have really seen video of him. I have to disagree with you. His run is unorthodox, but not absolutely atrocious.

You see what he is doing at first to me it resembles a LJ and TJ run up. Efficient for the vault probably not, but notice once he gets inside 5 lefts or so to go. Honestly this is some of the best postural running and execution of a takeoff from a running and jumping perspective out there. His posture on left foot contact is impressive. This young man is a pure Long Jumper learning to pole vault IMO.

Lets take a closer look. he does a skip start into 10 lefts not textbook, but notice the tip it doesn't drop a ton he keeps it relatively high. Take the pole out of his hand and he looks like a LJ/TJ in many of their approaches. The transition from last right to last left is mind boggling how good he does this with a pole. Most want to drive into the box thus causing them to lean backwards and sink upon left foot contact, he stays over his feet and moves his truck through the takeoff. He sets up the transfer of energy into the pole so well. You call his run up atrocious. I call it unique, but when it matters most he is in perfect position to load the pole with energy I have not seen many better. Look at 37 seconds and as a vaulter try to mimic that. This is where as vaulters most to all fail they are sinking he is raising before contact with the back of the box. When he hits the left leg their is no slack or sinking, he hits it stiff and is rising. He is springing off the ground like a LJ, he is not trying to jump by pushing. He is in optimal position to support the impact of the pole.

I'll say it now based off watching this video next year he will be one of the top 3 guys to beat based off speed and posture at takeoff alone in 2012 and beyond. The rest of his jump is pretty sound too. I have no clue what length or stiffness poles he is on. So unless he is only jumping on 5 meter poles and has not moved to 5.10's or 5.20's or can not rotate a stiff enough pole in relation to body weight, he will give everyone a run for their money in 2012. Impressive!
Chris Milton

timmac-pv
PV Wannabe
Expertise: College vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.25
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Maxin Tarasov

Unread postby timmac-pv » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:53 pm

In my opinion his run would look a lot better if someone taught him how to carry a pole properly, he carrys it way too low from the start which means instead of the pole feeling light in his carry there is constant weight pulling his torso forwards, so to compensate he needs to hold his torso back which then causes a slower stride and over striding throughout the run.

This run also effects the take off too and although he already gets nice and high at take off with his left arm i think he could be better with this especially if he had a narrower grip. The problem with a wider grip is it causes the vaulter to block (his 575 jump shows this with lack of penetration) the pole more often which in turn causes a lot of other things detrimental to the movement of the pole into the pit.

I could keep stating other factors but the main thing is that his run is determining how well he vaults and if he can cure his run he could quite easily jump 6m. Better technical run will also mean he can use stiffer poles, 5m 15.5 poles are quite soft and illustrate that his technique is lacking to use stiffer poles.

He is a very powerful runner and if he fixed his technique in the run to be anywhere near Bubkas he could be a more prolific vaulter amongst the other professionals.

Got a lot of talent but talent only gets you so far.

good luck to him

here is another clip of him from a year ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9kc1ehL0cE
his run is a little different here but still a bad pole carry, hope his coach does something about this!

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:05 pm

The difference between video posted first at time line around 37 secs and video posted by timmac-pv at around 2:47 and 4:16 are way different in position and posture. In the 2nd video posted he is low almost in a sinking position in the first video (5.75) he is upright and tall. Also it appears to me if you look at grip width it has been reduced if you notice 2nd video at time line around 6:40 and the width it seems closer in the 5.75 video posted.

Would better pole carry and drop help...... Of course. Do we know any stats on him? Height and Weight. yes a 5 meter 15.0 sounds small unless he is 165 pounds than that is roughly a 195-200 pound pole and not bad for body weight. How much does he weight and whats the flex comparison to body weight. Was he on a 15.0 in the 2nd video posted and 14.0 in the 5.75 video? We are not sure unless someone knows the stats from the meet. If he is 190 pounds and on a 15.0 than maybe you have a point. I am not even 100% sure what his speed is on the runway. I hope they are doing biomechanical data on the runways at the World Championships for prelims and finals. If I get the data I'll be sure to post the speeds he is hitting at takeoff. Yes pole carry is off affecting runway speed, but posture at takeoff is excellent in the 5.75 video posted.

wurster490
PV Whiz
Lifetime Best: 5.51m

Unread postby wurster490 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:30 pm

He's a small guy. Probably about 5'8''-9 if I were to guess. And I think he would weigh somewhere in the 160-65 range.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:18 am

Tilastopaja lists him as 178cm/70kg which is about 5'10 154lbs

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:46 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Tilastopaja lists him as 178cm/70kg which is about 5'10 154lbs

Therefore a 15.0 is decently stiff..... :)

timmac-pv
PV Wannabe
Expertise: College vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.25
Favorite Vaulter: Maxin Tarasov

Unread postby timmac-pv » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:21 pm

I agree ADFT, looking forward to his future developement!

airstryke4life
PV Beginner
Expertise: Ex-Pro, Fan, Parent, High-school Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.64
Favorite Vaulter: Danny Ecker

Unread postby airstryke4life » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:19 pm

Well at Jock-grim, on that real fast, real nice run-way, he was rolling and on his 5m 14.0.

wtfisup
PV Fan
Expertise: calmer than you are
Lifetime Best: 4.69m
Favorite Vaulter: Alan Webb

In Borges We Trust.

Unread postby wtfisup » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:42 am

This dude is gonna make it rain in the final. I'm not saying he can knock off Renaud but the human spring is loaded up. Ever since I heard about him blazing in Jock-grim, I'm a fan. Viva La-zaro!
"P" to tha mutha "V" "Dude, you going to the store?"

Return to “Pole Vault - International”