WC Men Finals - What a competition!

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
atlegu
PV Whiz
Expertise: Parent, former high school vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 3,70
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sondre and Simen Guttormsen

Re: WC Men Finals - What a competition!

Unread postby atlegu » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:25 am

Two pole breaks in one competition !

Hope it is just bad luck that both poles seems to be Pacer Carbon.

wurster490
PV Whiz
Lifetime Best: 5.51m

Unread postby wurster490 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:06 am

Both poles that broke were the grey (weave) carbons which have a history of breaking. Lukasz, Malte, Jeremy, and Derek are jumping on the old fx carbons and Pawel on the new black fx carbons, which are the more reliable carbons. Didenkow is on the weaves...I'd be changing for the next season if I were him. Lewis learned his lession indoors with the weaves and I wouldn't like to see Didenkow having the same bad luck.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:46 am

Hey

I have been looking at the men's vaults from YouTube…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJYUxI7p_FQ

would appreciate some help…..

Anyone at the meet (stadium) that can tell me the distance from the side of the javelin run up ….to the back of the box of that vault runway…

If you look at the videos.. you will see the yellow timer in the foreground , and the red? Flag holder in the back ground..

Tomorrow is a day off.. Mark, Yoo Kim?? Anyone with access.. ?? I would appreciate the info.. and want to use it in a paper I'm doing for the Merida, Mexico conference.

Thanks

dj

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:42 pm

Tough break for Lavillenie though. He is still clearly the highest jumping pole vaulter in the world and I think under the right circumstances he has a world record up his sleeve. He just proves that style points don't matter in the vault. He like a foot over 5.90 he was just out of control. Id really love to see his runway speed on that last jump!

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:07 pm

hye

Wojciechowski and Lavillenie both look to be two feet/60cm farther out than Borges at six steps..…

I think Lavillenie is definitely fast but still "out"… which causes a slight stretch.. slight stretch means the hips are not in the optimum position at takeoff..

The end result of the "stretch" is the inability to "up" impulse stronger, or at all, at the takeoff…

.. low center of mass.. flat takeoff.. big bend(to shorten the cord enough to move to vertical).. everything (grip, pole, speed, technique) worked for a successful jump… this time..

I loved the way all three attacked and competed… all three can turn that into higher jumps in the future...

i truly believe there are more than one jumper out there that can jump a world record.. the pieces just have to be put together..

dj

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:03 pm

Oh good, I'm glad America is not the only country that fired all of their proofreaders...

http://www.morethanthegames.co.uk/athle ... world-best

DAEGU: Lewis feeling like his belong with pole vaulting's world best

Posted: Tuesday 30th August 2011 | 7:19

From Tom Reynolds, Sportsbeat, in Daegu

STEVEN Lewis believes he is inching closer to cracking the pole vault podium after a solid performance at the World Athletics Championships.

CONTENT: Steven Lewis finished ninth in his second world pole vault final - two years ago he came seventh (Reuters)

Lewis jumped a season's best 5.65 metre to finish ninth in Daegu - the same height that earned him a seventh position in Berlin two years ago.

However, after a mixed season, the British number one insisted he had no complaints with the performance, although near optimum conditions for pole vaulting was a gilt-edged opportunity to break his 5.72m personal best.

But he claims to have learned some valuable lessons watching an exciting tussle for medals, with Poland's Pawel Wojciechowski jumping a world leading 5.90m to edge out Cuba's Lázaro Borges for gold in a thrilling final.

"I jumped a season’s best, so I’m pretty happy," said Lewis, who prepared for the World Championships at a training camp funded by Aviva - supporters of British athletes since 1999.

"Then I changed onto the biggest pole that I have ever used in a competition and I was like ‘today’s my day for at least 5.75m.’

"I was feeling really confident but just I caught it with my legs on my third and final attempt and that was that.

"It was mad final to watch, I'm just imagining now what it’ll be like next year for London 2012 because I am so close to be jumping at those heights and being in the mix for medals."

Lewis, a former world youth and Commonwealth Games bronze medallist, is already planning his winter training schedule, with a successful indoor season a critical springboard to his Olympic campaign.

"I was just one bar away from being in the comp at 5.85 and that’s really important for me to realise I am only 10 centimetres away from mixing it with these guys," he added.

"These athletes are guys I have grown up with and I feel like I'm pretty close to them.

"I'm kind of disappointed with ninth but I’ll try and take all the positives away from this."

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:06 am

One thing I just noticed that bodes well for the future is the amount of young vaulters in the final. Quite a few would be college age in the US including the gold medalist. The medalists were 22, 25, & 25. Hopefully they'll keep on improving. Now, if the US men could just have an youth movement...
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

PVPhD
PV Fan
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, USATF Biomechanist
Lifetime Best: 4.67 m
Favorite Vaulter: Mike McGinnis

Unread postby PVPhD » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:27 am

One thing I just noticed that bodes well for the future is the amount of young vaulters in the final. Quite a few would be college age in the US including the gold medalist. The medalists were 22, 25, & 25. Hopefully they'll keep on improving. Now, if the US men could just have an youth movement...

Interesting that the men's medalist's are relatively young, as Achtungpv noted. Their average age is 24. The women's medalists, on the other hand, are much older in athletic terms - 30, 29, and 31. Their average age is 30. Not sure if this has any significance, but it is an interesting bit of information.

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:02 pm

It is good for the sport since most top vaulters set their final PR in their 30's. The USA just needs a few young guns to step up. But the only way you can really train full time out of college is if you graduate jumping 5.80 and pick up some type of sponsor.

atlegu
PV Whiz

Unread postby atlegu » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:48 pm

It is good for the sport since most top vaulters set their final PR in their 30's.

That is true, but most Non-american is much closer to their final PR when they are 23 than the american's (haven done a real statistical analysis, but looked at all the 5.90 and above vaulters).

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:04 pm

atlegu wrote:That is true, but most Non-american is much closer to their final PR when they are 23 than the american's (haven done a real statistical analysis, but looked at all the 5.90 and above vaulters).

I did this a long time ago...like maybe '01 or so. IIRC, at the time, non-US vaulters with a PR of at least 5.90 first jumped 5.80 at an average age of 23 and their PR came at 25. US vaulters with at least a 5.90 PR first jumped 5.80 on average at age 27 and PR'd at 28.

Jumping a PR at over 30 is definitely an anomaly and actually pretty rare in the late 20s. Jumping 5.80+ is very hard on the body so it's really difficult to keep it up over a long period of time.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

atlegu
PV Whiz

Unread postby atlegu » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:25 am

I did this a long time ago...like maybe '01 or so. IIRC, at the time, non-US vaulters with a PR of at least 5.90 first jumped 5.80 at an average age of 23 and their PR came at 25. US vaulters with at least a 5.90 PR first jumped 5.80 on average at age 27 and PR'd at 28.

That was my impression as well. We can of course debate whether this is good (for the US vaulters) or not. The good thing of course is that all the US-vaulters have at least a bachelor degree when they jump high. I will guess that most of the non-us does not have any education at all (except for high school). I have always meant that the best would be something in between. I think athletes should study, but I can't understand how is it possible to attend a top university, follow normal progression and at the same time live like a top athlete (actually AchtungPV implicitly says it is not possible).

Return to “Pole Vault - International”