Istanbul Predictions

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
PVstorm84
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School Coach, Parent, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.83m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Giuseppe Gibilisco

Istanbul Predictions

Unread postby PVstorm84 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:57 am

Hi everyone. It is that time again. Time for your predictions on what will go down in Istanbul. Let's get down to it. I'll list your contendors:

1) Brad Walker - Can BW replicate his eye-poppin, 5.20m pole-cappin form we saw in Reno and Albuquerque? We havent seen BW step off of the boards yet this year, and considering all of his 5.90m+ jumps (besides jock grim) were on flat runways, you have to give the man with the 'fro some good odds on this track.

2) Renaud Lavellenie - Renaud has demonstrated that he learned nothing from his two pole explosions, and he's still crankin back and blowin out of the top. But RL has also "frenched out" in all of his major competitions so far, and hasn't come up with a gold yet. Can he sneak in a holder and replicate Galfione's gold from Japan?

3) Bjorn Otto - The middle-aged prince of Germany has shown tremendous form this season. As discussed in another forum, BO will likely be shedding a few ounces of clothing weight alone with his German uni. The Reich of Otto comes into Istanbul thirsty for hardware, and it's hard to exile him (Neurenburg style) from any discussion of the podium.

4) Dimitri Starodubsev - Unless his coach petitions to set out a 4" box at takeoff for Dimitri to jump off of, I don't see DS Dubsteb contending.

5) Malte Mohr - The big gangle is always "right there" in these things, but has trouble closing. His 5.87m was impressive, but did Bjorn's 5.92m and subsequent "double guns" celebration toward the back of the runway ruin MM for 2012 indoor?

6) Steven Lewis - The prettiest man in the competition comes in hot in more ways than one. He's got several 5.60's, a 5.72 and a 5.77... I noticed he has been running 16 strides. Will he back that noise up and leg out two more strides in Istanbul, or even bring it back to a RL 20 stepper and blow our minds?

7) The Others - Holzdeppe, Dilla, Filipidis - Don't see any of these two young boys, or the drug cheat KF factoring in.

Well that's it y'all... take your picks....

HA! You thought I forgot!

#1 in your hearts) Lazaro "LZB" Borges - (The Boards, El Cubano, Fidel's Flyer, The Human Victory Cigar, The Human Spring) - I'm not even going to write up a preview for LZB... We all know he's a loose cannon just waiting to be lit with the end of the cigar he's already puffing on at the back of the runway. 5.90m is in the cards, and he's ice cold in championships (WC'11, PanAms) and high pressure situations (Jock Grim).

Thank you, and please make your predictions:

Mine:

1) Brad Walker
2) LZB
3) The Fifth Reich
In LZB We Trust.

joebro391
PV Follower
Expertise: Current College Vaulter (Samford University)
Lifetime Best: 15'6
Favorite Vaulter: Duplantis, Borges, Bubka

Re: Istanbul Predictions

Unread postby joebro391 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:02 pm

HAHAHAHA, that right-up is amazing. -6P

mine:

1) Lavillenie
*Lavillenie has a habit of cruising 5.90 pretty consistently and doesn't seem to be bothered by his recent hand-injury...so he's my favorite. As stated above, hasn't really come through in pressure situations, but I think he's learning so he's my favorite for the Win this season.

2) Walker
*Walker...very proud to be an american this season haha. He seems to be "on a mission" right now, and if he can find the right pole in Istanbul, we could see a new AR.

3) Bjorn
*Otto just seems ON this season. Don't have much to go on for him since I've never really followed him, but if he doesn't let the pressure get to him, he could easily be top 3

Honorable mention:
Borges
*Borges is a big-meet jumper but hasn't really put up a huge make and I think it's cause Indoor is just not a huge concern of his...though he's still my favorite vaulter. So he's my honorable mention!

-6P
PR: 15'6 !!PETROV/6.40 MODEL!! http://www.youtube.com/user/joebro391

wtfisup
PV Fan
Expertise: calmer than you are
Lifetime Best: 4.69m
Favorite Vaulter: Alan Webb

Unread postby wtfisup » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:04 pm

The Numbers are in and I've checked my charts...

Based on my calculations (double checked)

1) Björn Identity: "in-it-to-win-it" and "run whatcha brung" mentality + a possible chance of no baggies, no blause. I've got my Turkish Lira on this Kraut and the heat he's bringing to the "bul" Istan that is.

2) Flahva Lav: Bend it like a horse shoe and point those golden slippers towards the sky. Hard to argue the numbers on this pole ballerina, he'll show up, pirouette at the mid and roll those 20's like baguette's dough....with a barrett.

3) LZ mutha Lovin' B. Come on, Cubans don't go to the big dance and sit in the corner...They own the floor son! Plus the odds of Borges on Boards is possible. Could be a NPN (no pole needed) Like in Jock Grim. Havanna is gonna burn the mid-night oil over this one.

Dark Horse: Bradley Skywalker, when he's on..well- shows over...may the force be with you my son.

-6.1P
"P" to tha mutha "V" "Dude, you going to the store?"

rmba
PV Newbie
Expertise: Parent/Fan
Favorite Vaulter: Elizabeth Baral

Unread postby rmba » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:30 pm

My Istanbul predictions are quite different:

(1) Yelena Isinbayeva
(2) Holly Bleasdale
(3) Yarisley Silva

(and Alana Boyd a good chance to sneak with one of the medals).

old vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Vaulter. High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 13'4
Favorite Vaulter: Jeremy McGrath

Unread postby old vaulter » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:30 pm

Love it...love it all

My predictions

Lucas Bradley Skywalker Gold....he smokes bars like a cuban....a cuban he will dominate

Otto Silver.... consistent solid marks all season...the Jedi will be just a little too much

lavinielae.....laveniell.....renault.....ah crap, the frenchie in third

Out

airstryke4life
PV Beginner
Expertise: Ex-Pro, Fan, Parent, High-school Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.64
Favorite Vaulter: Danny Ecker

Unread postby airstryke4life » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:47 pm

Old Vaulter…I know what you're saying because you're right.

In this pole vaulting world of Padawans, Sith Lords, and Jedi Masters, Björn Otto is without question the Brobi-wan Kenobi of the group.
Out of all the vaulter's sitting in the Mos Eisley Cantina bar stools, the midichlorian count of Björn is off the charts, and possibly provides a clue into explaining Björn's unknown and unspoken whereabouts as a child.

Was Björn Otto a student of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant? Perhaps rubbing elbows with the likes a young Anikan Skywalker, Yoda, and of course the most powerful Jedi of all, Samuel L? Is it a coincidence that two of the greatest pole vaulters in the world are of Jedi origins? Bradley Skywalker's storied lineage speaks for itself, and all points of data are pointing towards Björn as being one of the preservers of the Jedi order as well.

Therefore, my Predictions…

1. Bradley Skywalker
- Let's get real, when your ancestors are the likes of Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker, not even a disgruntled Wookie is going to spoil this party.

2. Björn Ultimatum
- The above mentioned explains the past and the potential of Björn. The only question in everyone's mind is whether or not this Jedi can prove his Björn Supremacy.

3. LZB
- The only thing holding back the native of Raxus Prime and probable great, great, great grandnephew of Han Solo is the absence of a board runway. If runway was anywhere close to that of Jock-Grim, I wouldn't bother listing "predictions", it would be an outright lock for LZB. With boards, Sergey should just FedEx the gold to Havana.

DARK HORSE: Danny Ecker
- Let's face it, nobody, and I mean nobody, ever asks danny for Credentials, Qualifying Marks, or a Starting Height. I wouldn't be surprised to see Danny at the back of the runway after passing to the winning height, come rip-roaring down, and turn some jedi-wanabes world's upside down.

A.

palm1234
PV Nerd
Expertise: low
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby palm1234 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:57 pm

I am a bit surprised, so nobody sees Starodubsev with a medal ?

old vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Vaulter. High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 13'4
Favorite Vaulter: Jeremy McGrath

Unread postby old vaulter » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:49 pm

its not that.....its that he isnt that easy to make fun of.......LOL

may the force be with you .....and all americans this weekend

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:06 am

palm1234 wrote:I am a bit surprised, so nobody sees Starodubsev with a medal ?

His big jumps have all been in his home facility, and it was clearly demonstrated on YouTube that he wasn't jumping on a legal runway on either of his 5.90 jumps. His best outside of there this year is 5.72m. He is certainly capable of big heights, and will likely contend for a medal, but I wouldn't consider him a favorite.

PVstorm84
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School Coach, Parent, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.83m
Favorite Vaulter: Giuseppe Gibilisco

Unread postby PVstorm84 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:53 am

StarubDubstep is the reverse LZB. He lets any legal runway ruin him, instead of "being the boards". I don't see him being a factor outside of his training facility in the Russian Mountains.

Also, OldVaulter is correct, he is virtually TTP (TrashTalkProof) at the moment. Let's hope he brings a stupid haircut or something tomorrow so that changes.
In LZB We Trust.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:37 am

Any more predictions for the women? Can Bleasdale give Isi a run for her money? Isi did diss her in the press...

Muzgar15
PV Fan
Expertise: 19-year old vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.11 m
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Muzgar15 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:42 am

Any non-american internet streams for the pole vault final? Eurosport is going live at 17.45 Istanbul time.

Return to “Pole Vault - International”