German Raphael Holzdeppe

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Who else, Bubka.

German Raphael Holzdeppe

Unread postby superpipe » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:22 am

I personally didn't know much about him until getting to watch all of his jumps at the Olympics. This guy is, by far, the BEST technical pro vaulter out there today. Unreal! Finally a pro using the Petrov/Bubka model nearly as close as Bubka. He's gonna blow way up in the coming years. Love watching him. Seems his biggest issue was "leaning forward" at his plant/take-off, but overall, the guy uses the Bubka model the best I've seen any "modern day" pro. As he cleans his technique up more and gets faster and stronger, he'll get on stiffer poles to blow off the top like Bubka. Very excited to see him in the coming years. Personally, I think he's got the best shot at beating the WR since he's the only guy using the Bubka model to near "completeness". So tired of seeing so many pros using "tuck and shoot" and a ridiculous locked out bottom arm. Raphael Holzdeppe is a breath of fresh air. Love it! His approach run mechanics are some of the best as well.
Chris Mitchell
MitchellPro Vault Club

wurster490
PV Whiz
Lifetime Best: 5.51m

Re: German Raphael Holzdeppe

Unread postby wurster490 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:35 am

He is already one of the fastest guys on the runway. I think he's like 9.6-9.7 when he's at this best. Bjorn is surprisingly the slowest at just over 9mps.

Return to “Pole Vault - International”