Who's coming to Portland to watch World Indoors?

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Who's coming to Portland to watch World Indoors?

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:49 am

The format this year is to have PV-only (no other events) on Thu night, March 17th.

Another interesting change in format is that they're apparently going to alternate between Men's and Women's attempts - both on the same runway and pit! I'm not too sure how well that will work. Won't there be delays between attempts as the raise the standards up and down? :confused:

But it should be an interesting way to do it (and apparently doesn't contravene IAAF rules).

Here's another novel thing they're doing:
Medal Ceremonies
As a part of our efforts to bring the sport to the public, we proposed to the IAAF
Council in the spring of 2015 to move the medal ceremonies from within the
competition timetable to our post-competition fan festival celebration in
Pioneer Courthouse Square

Tickets for the entire 4-day event are quite costly - $225 to $385. But if you're just interested in PV, then you just need to buy a $30 ticket for Fri AM, and then you get into the PV event for free! That's what I did. :idea:

Who else will be there?

I'd love to chat with anyone here on PVP, so please IM me if you want to meet up - before, after, or during the event.

Or look for me in the Beer Garden in Pioneer Courthouse Square! :D

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

73-vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Fan, Parent, High School Coach

Re: Who's coming to Portland to watch World Indoors?

Unread postby 73-vaulter » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:01 pm

I hope that I don't sound too desperate, but I would like to meet you.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:41 pm

OK, I'd like to meet you too!

I'll PM you seat #s when I get them (they're still in the mail). Should be fun.
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:46 am

I'm going. Did the same and bought the cheap ticket for FRI morning to get into the THU vault session.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:43 pm

achtungpv wrote: ... bought the cheap ticket for FRI morning to get into the THU vault session.

I PM'd you my seat #. It would be great to meet you!

Kirk

Wan
PV Pro
Expertise: None (apart from 35 years of following)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Ren. Lavillenie, Phil. Collet

Unread postby Wan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:41 pm

KirkB wrote:Another interesting change in format is that they're apparently going to alternate between Men's and Women's attempts - both on the same runway and pit! I'm not too sure how well that will work. Won't there be delays between attempts as the raise the standards up and down? :confused:

Hi Kirk.
Don't think it'll bother the raises.. if Women rise to 5.00 (and maybe a little bit more, I'll hope so like everyone here), Men won't begin at a such height (may be 5.40 for start in the final)...

Wan
PV Pro
Expertise: None (apart from 35 years of following)
Favorite Vaulter: Ren. Lavillenie, Phil. Collet

Unread postby Wan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:59 pm

But if you mean putting pole vault tries on the friday like hammer throwing (for security reasons) I agree for your interrogations... :dazed:

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:11 pm

KirkB wrote:Another interesting change in format is that they're apparently going to alternate between Men's and Women's attempts - both on the same runway and pit! I'm not too sure how well that will work. Won't there be delays between attempts as the raise the standards up and down? :confused:

I found some more details here: http://portland2016.com/ and it now makes more sense ...
Immediately after the opening declaration, we will shine a spotlight on the pole vault with special introductions for each of the 12 men’s and women’s finalists. The men’s and women’s pole vaulters will alternate jumps on runways situated on either side of the infield.

What I had read earlier seemed to imply that both men and women were on the same runway and pit. It must have been published by someone not in-the-know. I should not have believed everything I read (even from an official IAAF source). :confused:

Anyway, that should be exciting - to watch both men and women together, but on separate runways and pits!

Kirk

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:53 pm

I can confirm there are definitely two runways.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:10 pm

PORTLAND, Ore. – A limited supply of free tickets to the Opening Ceremonies and Pole Vault competition at the IAAF World Indoor Championships Portland 2016 at the Oregon Convention Center will be made available to the public at 10:00 a.m. (Pacific) tomorrow, Friday, March 4.

Spectators may claim up to four tickets by visiting Portland2016.com/tickets, selecting the “Buy Tickets Here” button and choosing Session 1 for the IAAF World Indoor Championships Portland 2016. Alternatively, customers may call Tickets West at +1-800-992-8499. Tickets are expected to sell out quickly since customers who have already purchased tickets to other sessions have already been seated.

The Opening Ceremonies will begin at 6:00 p.m. on March 17 at the Oregon Convention Center with a group of 50 children from Playworks, a non-profit organization serving more than 15,000 students from 31 low-income schools in the greater Portland area, carrying flags of each participating federation into the stadium and distributing them to spectators.

A traditional flag parade follows, in which all of the participating federations will be announced as their flag is carried around the track by a local student or volunteer. There will also be welcome addresses from IAAF President Sebastian Coe and TrackTown USA President Vin Lananna, with the opening declaration delivered by Portland Mayor Charlie Hales.

The Pole Vault competition begins immediately after the conclusion of the Opening Ceremonies. The 12 men’s and women’s finalists will alternate jumps on separate runways on either side of the infield until the gold, silver and bronze medalists are determined.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:11 pm

I made an unofficial Facebook Event for those attending! https://www.facebook.com/events/1687231588225385/ Come join and invite all of your friends! Facebook only let me invite 500 :(

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:02 pm

KirkB wrote:
achtungpv wrote: ... bought the cheap ticket for FRI morning to get into the THU vault session.

I PM'd you my seat #. It would be great to meet you!

Kirk

ahhh, just saw this unfortunately!.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

Return to “Pole Vault - International”