WIC Results - Suhr 4.90 CR, Lavillenie 6.02CR

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

WIC Results - Suhr 4.90 CR, Lavillenie 6.02CR

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:09 pm

Men: http://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-w ... sultheader
GOLD Lavillenie 6.02 CR
SILVER Kendricks 5.80
BRONZE Lisek 5.75

Women: http://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-w ... sultheader
GOLD Suhr 4.90 CR
SILVER Morris 4.85
BRONZE Stefanidi 4.80

Athlete Quotes
DAY 1 – Thursday, March 17
MEN’S POLE VAULT
GOLD: Renaud Lavillenie (FRA), 6.02/19-9, Championships record
On the competition:
“I had a good mark, anytime you can jump above 6 meters, it is good. Obviously, the world record is not easy. But, it was great to be here and get the championships record and to win. That in itself is a great accomplishment. I have plenty of time to get the world record.”
On his second world-record attempt in which he dropped into the vaulting box:
“As I was in my rise, my foot hit the bar, and what I could see with my eyes (the box coming towards me), I was a little afraid, but I was able to manage it and fall safely. It’s not so often I do something like that, but pole vault is sometimes very dangerous and intense, but that’s why we love it.”
“My shape right now says a lot, you know, a couple months ago I had trouble with my knee and ankle, and just had to look for what would fix and what would make me better and better.
SILVER: Sam Kendricks (USA), 5.80/19-½
“My goal coming into the competition was to be competitive and consistent at the important heights. And going to the outdoor season, this medal gives me confidence, gives me placement, that can bolster my performance and push me beyond the limits.”
BRONZE: Piotr Lisek (POL), 5.75/18-10½
“I don’t know why I do the yell. I was thinking about stopping it, but I can’t. Everyone knows it’s me when I do it. (When the crowd yelled back at me), it was amazing. It was so great. Having the kids right there on the track and everyone so close was great. The energy was amazing. Everything was so great.”
(TIED) FOURTH: Shawn Barber (CAN), 5.75/18-10½
“I felt slow and dead on the runway until the last few attempts. Then I felt my feet finally got under me. I’m not upset. The goal was to get on the podium, which I didn’t achieve, but it got me fired up for the outdoor season. I feel like I have a good base now, having understood what I’ve done wrong.”
WOMEN’S POLE VAULT
GOLD: Jenn Suhr (USA), 4.90/16-¾, Championships Record
It was great to complete my indoor season with the World Indoor title, and I’ve jumped a Championships record today, a world record earlier. But I still feel like there is so much more in me in terms of performance, so I strive to do better.
(About competition strategy) I hate to skip heights, but it’s something you have to do in the pole vault. My coach and husband was making the calls on that and I just had to trust him.
(About the event presentation) I love the way the competition was set up. Having the crowd so close, being able to feel the energy… especially, being in the U.S., we definitely could feel that home-field advantage. It’s especially good that it has happened in the Olympic year, because with the Olympics so close, you don’t want to be too stressed out at this point. I’m planning to open my outdoor season over the next couple of weeks. Somewhere south, maybe in Florida, definitely not in New York (Jenn’s home state). And then I’m going to take a little time off.
SILVER: Sandi Morris (USA), 4.85/15-11
Competing professionally is a whole different ball game, but I still get to have fun and love it to death.
This is the year of the women’s pole vault movement… we’re going to start seeing more girls jump higher heights at younger ages – like Eliza [McCartney]. She jumped a 4.80m and she’s 19. That’s unheard of
The crowd was amazing; they really knew what was going on.
It was so great to be able to make eye contact and acknowledge the girls’ presence [watching on the track]. I actually pulled a rose out and threw it to the girls.
BRONZE: Ekaterini Stefanidi (GRE), 4.80/15-9
This season has been crazy. All the girls have been jumping so well. Coming into the competition, I wanted to get close to my personal best (4.90m), and coming within 10 centimeters feels good. In pole vault, sometimes you just need some luck. And today, I didn’t have it while Sandi did. Sometimes after the competition, you regret your decisions on skipped heights, for example. Today I don’t feel this way at all.
It was fun having the audience so close and kinds watching us from the track. As for jumping at the same time with the guys, sometimes we had to wait for them to jump and we didn’t really have a chance to watch them.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: WIC Results - Suhr 4.90 CR, Lavillenie 6.02CR

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:10 pm

Recap and quotes from USATF:

Suhr breaks championship record, Americans take home medals as pole vault takes center stage at Portland 2016
PORTLAND, Oregon -- In the greatest women’s pole vault competition in track & field history, it was a picture-perfect Jenn Suhr who added World Indoor gold to her Olympic title with a perfect card through 4.90m/16-0.75.

Suhr (Fredonia, New York) took only four vaults in the competition as Team USA swept the pole vault for the first time at World Indoors since Russia did it in 2003. Sandi Morris won silver with a 4.85, equaling the best-ever height for place.

After easily clearing 4.60m/15-1 and 4.75m/15-7, and passing on the heights in between, Suhr sailed over 4.85. A first-attempt clearance at 4.90/16-0.75 broke the meet record of 4.86, set by Yelena Isinbaeva of Russia in 2004.

Morris (Greenville, South Carolina) made her first three bars before just nicking the crossbar at 4.75m/15-7, a height she easily cleared on her second attempt. She had first-attempt clearances at 4.80 and 4.85 before missing twice at 4.90m/16-0.75 and once at 4.95m/ on her way to earning silver. Her 4.85 equaled the best-ever height for place.

In the men’s competition, France’s Renaud Lavillenie cleared a IAAF World Indoor Championships record at 5.90m/19-4.25, picking up the gold medal.

In the U.S.’s highest placing since Brad Walker’s silver in 2008, Team USA’s Sam Kendricks (Oxford, Mississippi) cleared four bars with ease before missing his first attempt at 5.80m/19-0.25. He then passed until the bar saw 5.85m/19-2.25 where he missed his first attempt them passed again. The bar at 5.90m/19-4.25 proved too tough to overcome, with Kendricks claiming second place.

Mike Arnold (Carson City, Nevada), competing on his first World team, finished in eighth place after clearing three bars, with a final clearance of 5.65m/18-6.50.

Competition continues Friday at the Oregon Convention Center where 6,924 attended Friday’s opening session. The women’s pentathlon begins at 11:15 a.m. (PT). A full event schedule can be found here.

Tickets are still available on Portland2016.com. Join the conversation with USATF on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram using the hashtag #Portland2016.

Fans can watch the IAAF World Indoor Championships on NBCSN with USATF.TV’s The Cool Down following daily NBCSN coverage.

TV Coverage
Friday
11:15 a.m.-2:45 p.m. — NBC Sports Live Extra
5-9 p.m. — NBC Sports Live Extra
9:30-11 p.m. — NBCSN (tape-delayed)
Saturday
11 a.m.-2 p.m. — NBC Sports Live Extra
5-8 p.m. — NBC Sports Live Extra
6:30-8 p.m. — NBCSN (live)
Sunday:
12:30-3 p.m. — NBC Sports Live Extra
1-3 p.m. — NBCSN (live)

Team USA Medal Table
Gold (1)
Jenn Suhr, women’s pole vault

Silver (2)
Sam Kendricks, men’s pole vault
Sandi Morris, women’s pole vault

Quotes
Jenn Suhr, gold medalist - women’s pole vault
“It was great to complete my indoor season with the world indoor title, and I’ve jumped a championship record today, a world record earlier. But I still feel like there is so much more in me in terms of performance, so I strive to do better.

About competition strategy
“I hate to skip heights. But it’s something you have to do in the pole vault. My coach and husband was making the calls on that and I just had to trust him.”

About the event presentation
I love the way the competition was set up having the crowd so close, being able to feel the energy. Especially, being in the US, we definitely could feel that home field advantage. It’s especially good that it has happened in the Olympic year. Because with the Olympics so close, you don’t want to be too stressed out at this point.

Sandi Morris, silver medalist - women’s pole vault
“Competing professionally is a whole different ball game, but I still get to have fun and I love it to death. This is the year of the women’s pole vault movement. We’re going to start seeing more girls jump higher heights at younger ages -- like Eliza (McCartney). She jumped a 4.80 and she’s 19. That’s unheard of.”

“The crowd was amazing, they really knew what was going on.”

“It was so great to be able to make eye contact and acknowledge the girls’ presence (watching on the track.) I actually pulled a rose out and threw it to the girls.”

Sam Kendricks, silver medalist - men’s pole vault
“It feels indicative of a hard season. Me and my coach have really tried to evaluate what it takes to be competitive at this level. We took a step ahead last year and I chose to forego my last year as an Ole Miss Rebel to get some experience on the world stage. To be out here with all these guys is really cool. Having that experience at World Outdoors, I’ve never done my best at my first championship: NCAAs, USAs...I always figure out how to be competitive on my second.”

Mike Arnold, eighth place - men’s pole vault
“I felt good coming in from warm-ups. Made first bar, kind of blew through the second bar. I skipped a few (heights) so I went up two sticks. I kind of dialed it in. I did it the hard way, but I wish I would’ve made a few bars a little earlier and a little cleaner. I would have had a chance at 5.75. That caught up to me, but at my first World Championship? This was good; it was fun.”

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: WIC Results - Suhr 4.90 CR, Lavillenie 6.02CR

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:08 pm

IAAF Injury Report
Thursday, March 17, 19:50
Women?s Pole Vault FINAL

Alana Boyd (AUS) was taken from the competition area via wheelchair 30 minutes prior to the start of the event.

After ultrasound and physical examination, medical director Dr. Jon Greenleaf diagnosed the injury as a grade 2 sprain of the ankle ligaments on her left foot.

She has been taken to Providence Hospital for diagnostic X-rays. Surgery is not anticipated by Dr. Greenleaf, with an estimated recovery period of approximately eight weeks.

Return to “Pole Vault - International”