OREGON 2016 Diamond League - Lavillenie 5.81, Barber 5.81

News about pole vault competitions that occur outside the US and international pole vaulters.
KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

OREGON 2016 Diamond League - Lavillenie 5.81, Barber 5.81

Unread postby KirkB » Sat May 28, 2016 5:41 pm

Lavillenie wins over Barber on misses.

Full results:
http://eugene.diamondleague.com/program_results_eugene/

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

palm1234
PV Nerd
Expertise: low
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: OREGON 2016 Diamond League - Lavillenie 5.81, Barber 5.81

Unread postby palm1234 » Sun May 29, 2016 1:58 am

I notice 5,87 was the highest attempted bar. Was it windy, or Lavillenie, Barber, and Kendricks were not in good form?

Rio is still far, but it seems those 3 guys will get the medals there (pick your favorite order )

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sun May 29, 2016 2:58 am

palm1234 wrote:I notice 5,87 was the highest attempted bar. Was it windy, or Lavillenie, Barber, and Kendricks were not in good form?

Rio is still far, but it seems those 3 guys will get the medals there (pick your favorite order )

I watched on CBC TV, and details were skimpy, but (referring to the detailed meet results) I was quite surprised that Barber tried every bar, starting with 5.35. I'm not sure of that strategy, but my best guess is that it was windy.

But by the time the bar was at 5.81 (when they started showing attempts on TV), there was no apparent wind, but Barber was "spent".

Maybe you're asking why Lavillenie never cleared 5.87, but I don't think we should expect him to be over 6.00 every meet (although that's one of his stated goals). 5.81 isn't bad though. Do you realize that he's cleared 5.80+ 106 times now?

I didn't see any of Kendrick's vaults, as CBC didn't show any 5.71 vaults.

To be honest, I think Lavillenie is in a class above Barber and Kendricks (despite today's 5.81), but as far as rooting for my favourites, my hope for Rio is Barber, Lavillenie, Kendricks. But Barber is more likely to get silver than gold, and I think Kendricks could be upset by one of the other Europeans.

But last year's WC proved that Lavillenie can be beat! :idea:

Kirk
Last edited by KirkB on Sun May 29, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

pv161
PV Nerd
Expertise: high school/club coach, masters vaulter, former college vaulter, usatf official
Lifetime Best: 4.91

Unread postby pv161 » Sun May 29, 2016 12:29 pm

They had great conditions to start but the wind switched to a light head at the last bar. Lavillenie got a tail wind on his final jump

Return to “Pole Vault - International”