TRIPLE JUMP?

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
WomenPV
PV Newbie

TRIPLE JUMP?

Unread postby WomenPV » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:11 pm

Hi there,

If you are a triple jump specific coach or a knowledgable TJ athlete this applies to you!

I am a pole vault coach, and I am picking up triple jump to coach as well, since there aren't any triple jump coaches for this particular University, which will remain unnamed...
Any advice to what i should be teaching?

They don't really have a facility, they only jump once to twice a week. Unfortunately most of these jumpers are dissappointed in themselves and their performances so they are NEGATIVE about the possibility of success. I just want to try and help them believe that they can do well and know that their athletic talent is not a waist.

Let me know if any of you can help :yes:

decanuck
PV Whiz

Unread postby decanuck » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:25 am

I don't know what your level of expertise is so I guess I'll give a quick sum of what limited principles I know regarding triple.

Triple jump is all about preserving runway speed. You don't have to sprint the fastest or have the highest vert, but if you have the dynamic strength to preserve your runway speed through the three phases of the jump then you'll be successful.

The good news for you is that you don't need to be doing a lot of actual jumping. In fact, one of the worst things you can do as a triple jumper is triple jump a lot. TJ puts huge stresses on the feet, shins, knees, pelvis, and spine. As a coach, managing this damage is paramount. Your athletes will compete better healthy and inexperienced than they will seasoned and injured, and a low volume of practice jumps will help this. That's not to say that you don't do a lot of training, though.

For practice, TJ from a shortened approach once per week is more than enough. The other jumping session should be long jump off the third phase jumping foot.

For training, incorporate lots of gross leg strengh in your weights (back squats, front squats, deads, cleans, hang cleans, lunges, one-leg squats). To capture these strength gains, superset these exercises with ones where the athletes lift 30% of their body weight as fast as they can (use speed squats, step ups, squat jumps, dumbell squat jumps, alternating lung jumps etc)

Again, dynamic strength is key so add in bounding at least once per week (alternate takeoffs, jumping steps, hop-steps, one-leg jumping steps), double leg jumps conditioning (tuck jumps, spring jumps, russian splits, etc - doing these through the sand is great), and series of box jumps or hurlde rebounds or combinations of both. Proper sprint training is important too, but it should be geared towards a good runway than a good race (ie a more upright, hips forward position, longer driving steps that shorten during the final 6-8 steps of the runway for acceleration).

I train in a combined events group, and a few of us do triple for the varsity team. We don't practice it--ever--but we're quite successful at it. All the LJ, lifting and dynamic stuff we do is enough.

One final thing that I can't stress enough. Make sure the first priority in every aspect of treaining is emphasizing biomechanically proper movements. A triple jumper with bad form will soon be a triple jumper with a bad back, shin, knee or what have you. TJ will highlight any technical imperfections like a can of yellow paint.

Hope that helps.

gymnastsrock
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: too hard!

Unread postby gymnastsrock » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:57 pm

I am a triple jumper and we don't practice that much right now(indoor season). We do runthroughs once or twice a week, along with lunges, skips for height, stnading triple jump and things like that. the other days we work out w/the sprint group unless you're like me and you're pole vault coach is in love with you and wants you to vault almost every day. :)
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. Lao Tzu

Return to “General Track and Field”