Donald Thomas clears 7' 8" to Lead the world

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
Scott Go Pre
PV Lover
Expertise: Former college vaulter, and high school coach
Lifetime Best: 4.88m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Donald Thomas clears 7' 8" to Lead the world

Unread postby Scott Go Pre » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:38 am

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/c-t ... 07aaa.html

Auburn Track And Field Sets Three World Bests, Four NCAA Bests Saturday During The Auburn Invitational
Kerron Stewart (100m, 200m) and Donald Thomas (high jump) record the best marks in the world this year.

AUBURN, Ala. - The Auburn men's and women's track and field teams had a stellar final day at the Auburn Invitational Saturday, posting three world bests and the top marks in the NCAA this season in four different events. Kerron Stewart posted the fastest time in the world this year in both the 100m and the 200m, Donald Thomas had the world's top mark in the high jump and Shamar Sands and Ty Akins tied for the fastest time in the NCAA in the 110m hurdles. Including Cory Martin's NCAA best in the hammer throw on Friday, the Tigers recorded the NCAA's top marks this season in five events during the two-day meet.

"Today was a phenomenal day," said head coach Ralph Spry. "When you put the whole day in perspective with three world bests and five NCAA bests, that is really exciting. We're starting to gel as a team and our key athletes are really starting to step up and hit the marks that we need them to hit."

Stewart started her day by clocking a time of 11.07 in the prelims of the 100m, before recording a time of 11.10 in the finals. Her prelim mark was over the legal wind limit of 2.0 meters per second so it does not count towards school records, but her time in the finals was wind legal. Both marks rank better than the previous world best of 11.12 by Nicole Whitman.

Later, Stewart won the 200m in 22.60 seconds, bettering the previous world best this year of 22.77 seconds by Simone Facey, and breaking her own school record of 22.65 seconds set while finishing second at last year's NCAA Championships.

Thomas, in his first outdoor competition of the year, set the school record while leaping 2.34m (7-8), which topped the previous world best this season of 2.33m (7-7/34) by Jesse Williams. He shattered the previous school record of 7-3.75 set by Bruce King in 1995, and his jump was more than two inches better than anyone else in the NCAA this year. Also for Auburn, Luke Robinson placed third with a leap of 2.05m (6-8.75).

Shamar Sands and Ty Akins both posted times of 13.55 seconds in the 110m hurdles, which ties them for the best mark in the NCAA this season in that event. Sands' time came in the finals and earned him first place, while Akins, whose mark of 13.55 came in the prelims, was third in the finals in 13.64 seconds.

Because the wind in the prelims was over the legal limit for records of 2.0 meters per second, only Sands' time counts as the new school and facility record, but both times count as the best marks in the nation for the NCAA Championships. Akins' time of 13.64 in the finals matched Sands' school record set just two weeks ago.

Cory Martin won the discus with a regional qualifying mark of 55.63m (182-6), which ranks him third in the SEC this season and fourth in Auburn history. Edis Elkasevic just missed a regional qualifying mark, finishing second with a throw of 51.53m (169-1). Martin also won the shot put with a throw of 18.05m (59-2.75), while Jacob Dunkleberger joined him as a regional qualifier with a mark of 17.47m (57-3.75).

Michelle Vaughn won the women's triple jump with a season-best mark of 12.92m (42-4.75), which ranks second in the SEC this season. Michelle Williamson won the high jump with a season-best mark of 1.78m (5-10), improving her regional qualifying mark.

Felix Kiboiywo won the 1500m with a time of 3:44.62, which ranks second in the SEC this year. Reuben McCoy won the men's 400m hurdles with a time of 50.31 seconds, just off his season-best time of 49.79 set last Saturday.

Danielle Gilchrist finished first among collegians and third overall in the women's 100m hurdles, improving her regional qualifying time to 13.45 seconds. Gilchrist also improved her regional qualifying time in the 400m hurdles, finishing fourth overall and second among collegians in 59.12 seconds. Amelia Anderson was one spot behind, improving her mark to 59.87 seconds which ranks her seventh in Auburn history.

Tracy Ann Rowe improved her regional qualifying mark in the women's 100m with a time of 11.35 in the prelims, before finishing fourth in the finals with a time of 11.50. Rowe also finished fifth in the 200m with a time of 23.27.

Sabrina Fischer was fourth in the 800m with a time of 2:11.06, which ranks her 10th in Auburn history, and Katalin Mate finished fourth in the women's discus with a mark of 45.81m (150-3). Jessica Smith was fifth in the 1500m with a season-best time of 4:42.36 and Catherine Frappier also finished fifth in the women's pole vault with a mark of 3.20m (10-6).

The men's 4x100m relay team of Shamar Sands, Ty Akins, Hailey Foster and Reuben McCoy finished third with a time of 40.77 seconds. Chase Oliver finished second in the 5,000m with a time of 15:00.91, and Drew Lovette was second in the pole vault with a mark of 4.60m (15-1).

"I'm real excited about where we are right now," said Spry. "I couldn't be happier with where we are as a team and I think we're setting ourselves up to peak at the right time. I'm real excited about today's performances for both the men and the women, and I'm excited about heading into the final part of our season."
Rely upon God with all your heart, do not rely on your own insight. ~ Proverbs 3:5

Scott Go Pre
PV Lover
Expertise: Former college vaulter, and high school coach
Lifetime Best: 4.88m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby Scott Go Pre » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:42 am

I got to watch Donald clear 7' 8" this weekend. It was amzing to view. After clearing 7' 8", he went on to try and clear a new NCAA record, the current record stands at 7' 9.75". Donald had two good attempts. I believe he will break the record this year, and a possible 8 foot jump within the next five.
Rely upon God with all your heart, do not rely on your own insight. ~ Proverbs 3:5

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:33 pm

Yeah he told me he almost had 7-10.

You can all say you heard about him first on here ;)

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:54 am

Vault&Flip
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach

Unread postby Vault&Flip » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:34 am

Is he jogging?!?! :eek:

Glory
PV Whiz

Unread postby Glory » Wed May 09, 2007 9:10 am

hes totally going to break the world record....its amazing hes only been jumping like 2 or 3 years

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Wed May 09, 2007 9:30 am

he still has 6" to break the world record.....let's hold off on that till he jumps 8 feet. Not taking anything away from him, but that world record is up there
Man Up and Jump

Glory
PV Whiz

Unread postby Glory » Wed May 09, 2007 11:18 am

its only 2.45.....hes well on his way...8 feet 1/2 inch for those who didn't know

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Wed May 09, 2007 12:25 pm

hmmm....my bad.....it is amazing how just having it be 2" less makes it seem so much more possible.
Man Up and Jump

Return to “General Track and Field”