Brazil too dangerous for track and field competition

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:10 pm

http://washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 50062/1005

Brazil is the hot spot this summer for international track and field.

The 2007 Pan American Junior Athletics Championships just finished in Sao Paulo, and the third IBSA (International Blind Sports Federation) World Championships and Games will be there later this month. The 2007 Pan American Games just began in Rio de Janeiro, and will be followed by the 2007 Parapan American Games for Paralympians.

There are some beautiful places in Brazil, but just one look at the U.S. Department of State Web site tells me I would not risk my life for a meet in Sao Paulo or Rio de Janeiro.

"Crime throughout Brazil has reached very high levels," the site reports. "The Brazilian police and the Brazilian press report that the rate of crime continues to rise, especially in the major urban centers â€â€

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:04 pm

If I was in charge, I wouldn't hold it anywhere NEAR Brazil. But hey, look on the bright side, at least we can run away really fast... maybe that's not so funny... plus, isn't the ozone there like, disintegrating rapidly or something? Talk about a hot spot...

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Re: Brazil too dangerous for track and field competition

Unread postby achtungpv » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:43 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Now why should an American citizen go all the way to Brazil to be treated like that?

Yeah, you can be treated like that in the US without getting on an airplane...Detroit, Baltimore, DC, New Orleans, etc.

I think I'd take my chances walking down the street in Rio before I walk down the street in the 5th Ward of Houston.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:37 pm

Hooray, Baltimore!

SKOT
PV Pro

Re: Brazil too dangerous for track and field competition

Unread postby SKOT » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:57 pm

achtungpv wrote:
rainbowgirl28 wrote:Now why should an American citizen go all the way to Brazil to be treated like that?

Yeah, you can be treated like that in the US without getting on an airplane...Detroit, Baltimore, DC, New Orleans, etc.

I think I'd take my chances walking down the street in Rio before I walk down the street in the 5th Ward of Houston.

Seriously,

The state department could write reports with quotes like those above for most major metropolitan areas in this country. Newspapers (and the media in general) can do a great job of scaring people for absolutely no reason.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:37 am

There were some very legitimate concerns with the site for the Pan Am JRs. The IAAF sent a group down to check things out before the meet. The story I heard is that half of the group went out and they had a few bodyguards so they only lost a few watches and wallets, while the other group went out and did not have any bodyguards and they lost any valuables they had on them and got roughed up a bit.

Or it was something along those lines. I told Tori and Scott to make sure to take their leaders seriously when they gave them advice about security issues.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:51 pm

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breakingnew ... 74,00.html

High winds, filthy water plague Panamerican organisers
By Brian Homewood
RIO DE JANEIRO, July 23 (Reuters) - High winds and filthy water embarrassed Panamerican Games organisers on Monday, prompting the postponement of the softball and forcing water-skiers on a polluted lagoon to keep their mouths shut.
Two Cuban boxers, including Olympic and world amateur champion Guillermo Rigondeaux, were still missing after failing to appear for their bouts on Sunday, increasing suspicions they had defected.
In the latest organisational hiccup, the softball tournament, due to start on Monday, was rescheduled for Tuesday after the glitch-prone baseball stadium was damaged by high winds.
Many of the tents around the entrance to the facility were blown over or destroyed while portions of the roof covering the stadium were also damaged.
It was the latest setback for the City of Rock venue, where the baseball gold medal contest between Cuba and the United States was delayed by a day because of a waterlogged field while the stadium's lighting was deemed unfit, forcing the rescheduling of all night games.
Over at the water skiing, competitors complained about the water in the notoriously polluted Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas lagoon.
"I've known the Lagoa to be completely disgusting, really stinking. It's not at its worst but I don't think it will ever be clean," said Brazilian Marcelo Giardi, who won gold in the men's wakeboard event.
"When you fall in, the first thing to do is close your mouth because you can't swallow this water."
Canada's Drew Ross, who won the men's slalom, was also unhappy at having to leave his belongings on the grass while he competed.
"The place is beautiful but the sporting conditions are not adequate," he said.

Return to “General Track and Field”