Eeeeeek!

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Eeeeeek!

Unread postby Lax PV » Mon May 19, 2008 10:51 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080519/ap_ ... by_javelin

Photographer speared by javelin at Utah meet

PROVO, Utah - A newspaper photographer got a little too close to the action at the state high school track championships — and was speared through the leg by a javelin.
ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan McGeeney of the Standard-Examiner was spared serious injury in Saturday's mishap, and even managed to snap a photo of his speared leg while others worked to help him.

"If I didn't, it would probably be my editor's first question when I got back," McGeeney said later.

The 33-year-old McGeeney, an ex-Marine who spent six months in Afghanistan, was taking pictures of the discus event and apparently wandered into off-limits area set aside for the javelin throw.

Striking just below the knee, the javelin tip went through the skin and emerged on the other side of his leg.

"It wasn't real painful. ... I was very lucky in that it didn't hit any blood vessels, nerves, ligaments or tendons," McGeeney said.

Much of the javelin was cut off at the scene. The piece in McGeeney's leg was removed at a hospital, and he received 13 stitches.

The javelin was thrown by Anthony Miles, a Provo High School student who said when he saw what had happened, "my heart just stopped."

"One of the first things that came to my mind was, 'Good thing we brought a second javelin,'" Miles' coach, Richard Vance, said Monday. He said Miles was "in a little bit of shock," but he assured the athlete that it was not his fault.

With a subsequent throw, Miles went on to win the state title in javelin for teams in Provo High's size classification, 4-A.

LHSvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former High School Vaulter, Current College Vaulter, Huge Fan!
Lifetime Best: 13-6
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSvaulter » Mon May 19, 2008 10:58 pm

That totally sucks. I've heard stories, but never actually seen pictures. I find it amazing that he actually managed to take a picture, most people including myself would probably go into shock before being able to do that.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue May 20, 2008 4:25 am

They must not use rubber-tipped javs in Utah. In WA we use rubber-tipped javs and it saved a guys' life who got hit in the head at the state meet back when I was in HS.

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Tue May 20, 2008 7:21 am

Love your new avatar :)

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Tue May 20, 2008 11:36 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:They must not use rubber-tipped javs in Utah. In WA we use rubber-tipped javs and it saved a guys' life who got hit in the head at the state meet back when I was in HS.

Wisconsin doesn't have javelin in high school at all...

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue May 20, 2008 3:34 pm

Nor do they here in Maryland... no hammer either...
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Split
PV Master
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, lifetime enthusiast
Lifetime Best: 11'0"
Favorite Vaulter: Giovanni Lanaro

Unread postby Split » Thu May 22, 2008 11:54 pm

California doesnt either...shame. I won Junior Javelin at Mt Sac my eight grade year.

Return to “General Track and Field”