IAAF asks jumper accused of drinking at meet to explain cond

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

IAAF asks jumper accused of drinking at meet to explain cond

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:49 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/trackandf ... id=3571124

IAAF asks jumper accused of drinking at meet to explain conduct

Associated Press
Updated: September 5, 2008, 2:19 PM ET

AP Photo/Keystone, Laurent Gillieron
Rival high jumpers have accused Ivan Ukhov of drinking vodka and Red Bull at the Athletissima meet.
LAUSANNE, Switzerland -- Track and field's ruling body wants Ivan Ukhov to explain his conduct at the Athletissima meet in which rival high jumpers said the Russian had been drinking vodka and Red Bull during the competition.

Ukhov failed with each attempt to clear the bar Tuesday before being asked to stop competing at the Swiss meet.

Meet organizers refused to pay Ukhov's expenses and have been asked to supply video evidence to the International Association of Athletics Federations.

"We will for sure ask for an explanation from the athlete about his behavior and ask that it is not repeated in the future," IAAF spokesman Nick Davies said in a statement.

Alcohol is not classed as a performance-enhancing substance and is not formally prohibited in athletics competition.

Ukhov was European Junior Champion in 2005.

gfilosa
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School Coach

Re: IAAF asks jumper accused of drinking at meet to explain cond

Unread postby gfilosa » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:43 pm

Here's a video that appears to be shot from the stands: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6n70j_athletissima-2008-ivan-ukhov_sport

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:18 pm

From AllSport.ru...
12:05 05.09.2008 – Athletics
Pavel Voronkov: despite the incident in Lausanne, I will continue to work with Ivan Ukhov

The holder of the Russian winter record for the high jump, Ivan Ukhov actually entered the competition in Lausanne on September 2nd in an intoxicated state due to personal problems, and is prepared to suffer all the resulting penalties. Ivan Ukhov’s manager Pavel Voronkov spoke to the Agency of Sport Information "All Sports" about this.

“There’s no point in denying that Ivan actually went into the sector in Lausanne intoxicated,” sighed Pavel Voronkov. “His actions were totally inexplicable, given that he could, after all, simply have foregone the appearance and not jumped in such a state. I will try to reflect on the causes. Vanya began the winter season very well, and jumped 2.36 meters, but at the Russian indoor championships he was fourth with 2.33 and didn’t go on to the indoor world championships. This summer Ukhov’s jumps from the very beginning somehow haven’t worked out. At the Russian championships in Kazan he cleared 2.30 meters, but remained sixth on countback. Vyacheslav Voronin and Andrey Silnov made the national team with the same result, and Silnov eventually became the Olympic champion. After Kazan Ukhov left his coach Yevgeny Zagorulko, with whom he worked for several years. But the results still haven’t been there… Then before Lausanne Vanya had problems in his personal life; he broke up with his girlfriend… Naturally, all this is no excuse. My first thought after Lausanne was to end my collaboration with him. But then I thought: who would benefit from this? The guy hit a rough patch in his life. Vanya has never abused alcohol; it’s not in his style, but here, apparently all the negative emotions overcame common sense. The guy stumbled. I think it is better not abandon one in such a situation, but to help him get through it. I am continuing to work with Ukhov.”

Pavel Voronkov also talked about the sanctions which Ivan Ukhov may face for what happened in Lausanne. “First of all, we returned the appearance money to the organizers and reimbursed all costs for accommodation and transport. Although in any case, this is the minimum required by elementary decency. We are ready to provide explanations to the international federation regarding what happened. Thus far there have been no reactions from Ivan’s sponsors,” Pavel Voronkov said.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:12 pm

That is a very loyal manager.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:41 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... etics.html

Drunk high jumper Ivan Ukhov stumbles into trouble at Lausanne
His less than graceful attempt at the opening height was a hit on YouTube but Ivan Ukhov could be banned from the high jump after disgracing himself at last week’s Grand Prix in Lausanne.

By Tom Knight
Last Updated: 9:53AM BST 10 Sep 2008

The young high jumper was told by officials to pull out of the competition because he was drunk.
The Russian federation will discuss his case later this month and he could face a one-year ban.
Valentin Maslakov, Russia’s head coach, said: “By competing in such a condition he has disgraced all Russian track and field athletes.
“I will ask our athletics federation to suspend Ukhov for a year.”
In a YouTube posting that has received more than a million hits, Ukhov is shown having difficulty removing his track suit and pushing aside a track official.
He then ambles towards the bar, attempts a half-hearted take-off much too soon, falls under the bar and flops onto the bed.
Ukhov, who has an indoor best of 2.39m, has reimbursed the meeting organisers and apologised.
Pavel Voronkov, his manager, said: “There's no denying that Ivan was drunk but he had a fight with his girlfriend and was also upset at failing to qualify for the Olympics.
"Obviously, Ivan regrets it very much and we have already reimbursed the organisers for all their expenses. He is still young and it should be a good lesson for him but a year ban would just completely destroy him as an athlete.”
The episode revived memories of Sergei Shmolik, the international football referee, who also became an internet sensation in July when video of his stumbling performance during a Belarusian Premier League match between FC Vitebsk and FC Naftan Novopolotsk was posted on YouTube.
Shmolik claimed he had to be helped from the pitch because of back pain but was later found to have high levels of alcohol in his blood and suspended by the Belarus federation.

BruceFlorman
PV Lover

Unread postby BruceFlorman » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:26 pm

From http://news.sport-express.ru/online/nte ... 70371.html
Ivan Ukhov received a "serious warning" from the IAAF

The management of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) did not disqualify the Russian high jumper Ivan Ukhov. At today’s congress in Monaco the IAAF gave a "serious warning" to the Russian athlete who went into the sector at the "Grand Prix" in Lausanne while drunk. Recall that Ukhov had been facing the threat of disqualification for one year.

Return to “General Track and Field”