Decathlon Training

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Decathlon Training

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Fri May 29, 2009 6:16 am

Anybody here train for decathlons? I'm trying to split up my week so I'm working on the right things, but also not breaking myself down, so I'm wondering how some of you split up the week. Right now I'm lifting 4 times a week (which includes plyometric work, olympic lifts, power lifts), and that'll go down to two or three once my meets start.

Right now... as a general break down this is what I have for the week (pertaining to field events, hurdles)

Monday - Shot, Disc with a longer run afterwards
Tuesday - Blocks for 100m and 110H, with a speed endurance workout
Wednesday - Hurdle Technique, Long Jump, Javelin
Thursday - Pole vault (usually when my guys are jumping at practice, it'll change next week when I have no facility to use) and an endurance workout
Friday - Shot, Disc and a light run
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Javelin

I just started learning jav so I'm putting in so more work with that along with the other throws since I've just picked them up recently. Also, the schedule is going to change since I actually have a meet coming up next week and they're on Thursdays.

Any suggestions? Thanks

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: Decathlon Training

Unread postby dj » Fri May 29, 2009 8:02 am

hye

i'll try and send you my whole program..

i have 4 athletes training right now from beginner(6 months of training) to 7400 points.. two of them have a chance for the 7700 mimium startd for the world champs..

also look here for new studies in Athletics.. The development and trainign of decathlon on the USA

http://www.iaaf.org/development/studies ... index.html

maybe i can send or post something tomorrow..

dj

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Sat May 30, 2009 12:28 am

good morning

better yet...

pm your email and i'll send my Decathlon file.

my "training booklet" is in a word document and covers most every thing..

dj

Ps. this is a 7 day schedule that i am doing right now... you need to change the week to Monday through Sunday……

we have a "test' decathlon in about a month and depending on the scores, we are trying to reach the "B" World Champs standard for Berlin.

if that doesn't happen our "biggie' is in October..

don't know if anyone noticed but an Algerian scored over 8000 points last week.. one of my guys beat him 3 years ago when they were Juniors.... 7300 to 7000...

so it could be a fun 3 years getting ready for London.

Al Qaree – Abdul Rahman ……………..TRAINING

Saturday AM Gym Weights
PM Jog- ABC
Tech- Long Jump
Shot Put
Running
1 x 225
3 x 100 @ 13.0-12.0-11.0

Sunday AM Rest
PM Jog- ABC
Tech Hurdles
Javelin
Running 1 x 200 @ 30 seconds
1 x 120m curve @ 80%
4 x 100 grass pace/technique

Monday AM Gym Weights
PM Jog-ABC
Tech Pole Vault “Pole Runs” on track.
Al Qaree.. 30 meter.. ck 15.50/16.00
(left to left to left)
Discus
Running 3 x 110 meter Hurdles. LOW Hurdle From starting blocks and fast.

Tuesday AM Rest
PM Jog-ABC
Tech High Jump
Shot Put
Running - Pace running
11 x (Run 1 minute - walk 1 minute)
On the grass

Wednesday AM Rest
PM Jog-ABC
Tech Starts @ 30/40 meters
Long Jump
Throw/SP/DT/JT
Running -10/15 minute continuous jog with periodic 80 meter “surge”

Thursday AM Gym Weights
PM REST

Friday REST REST

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:21 am

Thanks for the packet of files DJ!

Samuel U.B.
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former Collegue Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Unread postby Samuel U.B. » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:50 am

Can some one send me those decathlon training documents please I need a program too. I don´t have a trainer right now

Samuel U.B.
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former Collegue Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Unread postby Samuel U.B. » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:53 am

LHSpolevault wrote:Thanks for the packet of files DJ!

Please can you helmpe sending me those files to please

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:58 am

good morning,

hope the files came intact...

it will take you some time to go over them but the 2 page file titled Mega Cycle with the months across the top and the days of the week vertically is the amount (volume) of running you add to your day, i.e. a Tuesday in March you run 4 x 200 @ 65% intensity.. after your warm up-technical training-drills-plyo's etc.. each month's intensity (the speed that you run) goes up and the volume goes down…

My athletes are full time athletes so we train 3/4 mornings a week, usually in the weight room but with some technical training, and 6 afternoon sessions with the events I have listed for you with the daily intensity varying from 100% down to 50% so the athlete recovers correctly and adicquebly.

The focus should be

SPEED,
TECHNIQUE,
EXPLOSIVE STRENGTH.

In that order…

That said the majority of the weight training needs to focus on the small muscle groups (morning weight training is like a body builder with sets and reps for the supporting muscles) this is where you save yourself from injury.. it's the smaller, supporting muscles that go first..

BUTT, yes you do Squats, Cleans, Bench and a lot of Dead Lifts.. but always with perfect technique, lighter weight and keeping the heels to the floor for maximum flexibility (no high heel shoes or blocks under the heel. Only lift what you can lift safely with the feet flat and not "toed out" too much with perfect technique.

Pull a light sled and run stadium steps, 20/30 steps, fast for speed.. do not" jog" the stadium, there is no value in this….

NEVER pull or "paw" in your running, even in warm-up, never stretch your steps in the hurdles, long jump, pole vault, never strike the ground with the ball of the foot in front of the COM or in front of the knee cap…. Correct running is "PUSHING" yourself down the track… that is why a LIGHT WEIGHT SLED and sprinting Stadiums' steps are the best because they force you to run correctly.

I know most of the readers don't have the file, I don't know how to post a word document or have a "link" but some of this info will help all without the files….

Good luck

dj

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:19 am

good morning,

go to face book and look for Abd Alrahman...

this is one of my decathletes...

he started with me 3 years ago... throw the discus (high school size) 39 meters and high jumped 1.85 in his first track meet

basketball didn't want him because he was uncoordinated…

after a year and a half of training he scored these numbers in two under 20 decathlons..

11.32 100m
Long jump 7.19
Shot put 14.36 and 14.53
High Jump 1.93 and 1.95
400m 52.68 and 51.13

14.70 91cm (39") hurdles
Discus 46.86 (High School)
Pole vault 3.60 (with 3 sessions and two meets)
800 gram javelin 54.78

I've been gone for a year and he hasn't trainined until I returned a month ago because of a major abdominal injury from another coaches mistake while I was gone..…

He's 1.93 tall… and his speed will keep getting better and better…

My guys train 6 days a week in the afternoon with, your week, Wednesday and Friday, our week- Monday and Wednesday, being "play' fun days..working up a sweat..

They train mornings from 10:00 to 12:30 with either weights, sets and reps.. maxing at the end of each month or with a very specific technique session with sets and reps of drills, parts of technique and some full technique..

Thought I would share this… he just took the picture today, our day off... and was missing around on the court… we also do the running dunks as part of our high jump training… he just decided to put a trash can there.. this was without my supervision by the way... i don't guess i can get mad at him.. i would secretly play basketball in college all winter to get in shape and to work on my "ups" knowint the track coaches told us if we were caught we would be punished or suspended because they didn't want us to risk a sprained ankle...

dj

10events2go
PV Newbie
Lifetime Best: 10'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

Unread postby 10events2go » Tue May 10, 2011 10:50 am

DJ,

Could you please send me the Word Doc on Decathlon training? I am on my own for most of the decath, I have a throws coach, and sprints coach. But neither know a lot about decath specific training. Thank you, and my email is j.wangelin@yahoo.com

James

Sam M.
PV Newbie
Expertise: Beginner Decathlete
Lifetime Best: 3.2
Favorite Vaulter: Isinbayeva

Unread postby Sam M. » Fri May 13, 2011 2:09 pm

Would love to get a copy of this training plan as well. I am a novice deca training completely on my own with exception of some jumps coaching here and there. My email address is s.mcgowan.3@gmail.com

Thanks!

Sam

scottc21
PV Newbie
Expertise: Collegiate Athlete

Unread postby scottc21 » Sat May 14, 2011 7:13 pm

Could someone send me the decathlon training schedule...and a weight training program if they get either of these.

nationalsfan21@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Scott

multis10
PV Newbie

Unread postby multis10 » Sun May 15, 2011 6:52 pm

DJ,

It seems you have a lot of expertise in the multi events! What are your credentials?

Could you share with me a training schedule?

Return to “General Track and Field”