Decathlon Training

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: Decathlon Training

Unread postby dj » Mon May 16, 2011 4:23 pm

hey

did everyone get a decathlon file??

i have "supliments' that may not have been in that file.. BUT that one should keep you busy..

any questions

davidfjohnston@yahoo.com

dj

Jswlee
PV Newbie
Expertise: Novice
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Jswlee » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:33 pm

Hey DJ,
I hate to be a bother, but could I also get the files for the decathlon. I started up the decathlon at the end of my senior year without ever having had a coach in any of my events. I only did one decathlon before I got injured, but I hope to make the recovery and compete in college hopefully my sophomore year. Anyway, my first decathlon (two weeks of training with a coach) was:
100: 11.63 s
Long jump: 6.31 m (PR of 6.88 m or 22' 7")
Shot Put: 36' 1" (I still don't know how to shot put)
High Jump: 5' 4" (first time I have ever HJ'd in either a competition or practice, so I scissor kicked)
400 M: 54.4 s (terrible considering I ran a double two days later of 57.10 s and 52.44 s in the 400 MH and 400 M respectively ten minutes apart)
110 MH- 16.1 s (had started two weeks before comp., but still managed a 15.57 in comp. a week before)
Discus- 100' 1" (PR of 113' 7")
Pole Vault- 6' 8" (never done before, so it was ugly. I later vaulted 11' in 4 practices)
Javelin- 96' 8" (I just suck at jav)
1500 m - 4:58

Anyway, I would REALLY appreciate those files because I have just been making things up for what to do, especially now that I have no access to a coach of any kind for any of my events.

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:46 pm

hye

sent by email..

dj

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:44 pm

recieved this...
email me... davidfjohnston@yahoo.com

and www.oneapproachrun.com

Hi Coach,

I am fellow decathlete who is competing in a pentathlon at Nationals in March. I noticed your post here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=17864&start=12 and I wanted to ask you

1) Do you know of, or have any training plans for the pentathlon

2) Would you be willing to share your decathlon training plan

Currently I only have a mid-distance coach so he does not know much about training for the other events. To qualify for Nationals I got 3150 points in the pentathlon, but I am shooting for 3400+ at nationals. Your workout plan could really help me. Thank you!

Sorry to take so long…..

First what are your marks….

Second.. I always sprint a lot of low hurdles… for almost all the run training.. full 55/60 meters..

You best marks will tell me much about what you need to focus on… time is a factor…

Dj
www.oneapproachrun.com

Email me

davidfjohnston@yahoo.com

fmazey
PV Newbie
Expertise: Head High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

Unread postby fmazey » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:05 pm

DJ and any other coaches can you email me any decathlon workouts you may have
forrest.mazey@usd382.com

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:40 am

good morning

i sent the Deca file by email to:

forrest.mazey@usd382.com

yesterday

dj

gwanzo93
PV Newbie
Expertise: novice
Favorite Vaulter: Mike Tully

Unread postby gwanzo93 » Sun May 20, 2012 10:49 pm

Hey DJ,

You seem like you really know what you doing. I'm a fledgling decathlete, who currently does not have a coach. Do you think you could send me any decathlon training/workouts you have. My email is gwanzo93@gmail.com

Thanks!

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Mon May 21, 2012 12:12 am

hye

the file is sent...

hope it helps..

there may be charts that i didn't send at
www.oneapproachrun.com

Plus oneapproachrun will be updated in a few days with "full service" blog etc...

my Training workbook for sale online and then i will state publishing my Technical articles on PV-HH-LJ-HJ-TJ-SPEED, everything i can dig up or re-write from my coaching experience....

dj

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon May 21, 2012 4:05 am

Just a thought. Before you commit to the volume of training required for the decathlon I suggest you seriously consider your performances and POTENTIAL in
1. The javelin - unfortunately you cannot create a javelin thrower - Shot yes/Discus yes. If you can't naturally throw a baseball 50 metres plus from a stand you are unlikely to become even a reasonable javelin thrower.
2. The HIGH hurdles - with the HIGH stressed . This event will destroy any decathlete if you can't sprint and long jump - especially if you are not 6' plus and not very flexible - you will find it impossible to run a good time or even complete the distance.
3. The high jump - technically an easy event but one that searches out your natural ability - or lack of it.

You can survive in the 100, grow in the 400 and especially flourish in the 1500 if you can put in the right training. Ditto the long jump if you have reasonable - sub 12 sec 100 speed -

You can make yourself a shot putter and discus thrower if you are prepared to work on technique and strength and the pole vault is points just waiting for you if you can run and long jump - and of course if you have poles and pads!!!
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Mon May 21, 2012 7:31 am

DJ-

This stuff looks awesome. Thank you so much for sending this to me. Speed is my weakness so I'll really go by your suggestions.

Thanks again

g

………………………………………………………………………………..
Good morning Chris & Deca

Speed is "number one" it can and will add points with just a small "fix". A small speed fix can add 30/40 points quickly to 6 events. That’s 180/240 point bump in a decathlete....

The daily and yearly training plans are tried and sound… not only from my own experience but I have "borrowed" every note I could get from Tennessee and Bill Webb , retired Coach that had the best of the best.

The charts I have included can be used in so many ways with huge results.

For example the Speed Chart.. can be used by putting a "grid" on the track with 5 lanes marked with "progressive" steps in chalk or cones. I only mark 14 strides and repeat those at each level until I stretch. One I stretch I don't move to the next long stride lane, I work on that level until I improve my "frequency". Also the speed "grid" is the same progressive stride lengths that are used in the acceleration phase of the long jump, pole vault and Javelin. Those progressive steps are added to the "MID" mark charts I have to PV-LJ. A decathlete has the worst time on the pole vault runway, world class speed and many times "beginning" vault technique. I train them by my Six Stride "MID" Chart. Keeping the "MID" to Grip (physics-the only part of the chart that "FORCES the athlete to have to run correctly) very proportionate on ALL drills and jump sessions.

The 110 Hurdle "Step Chart" is the exact steps for 8 steps to the first hurdle and for the 3 steps in between. I always set cones for each step when I practiced hurdles… sprint them with the hurdle set very low or with a foam pad on the hurdle. During my College career I dropped my time from 15.1 as a freshman to 14.1 as a senior, I'm 5-9. I ran 14.3, 14.5 and 14.5 in my the decathlons.

Take care and have fun

Dj
www.oneapproachrun.com

Kris
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter

Unread postby Kris » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:20 pm

I know this is an old thread, but could i possibly get that decathlon training schedule of yours, DJ?
My e-mail address is mini-torp@hotmail.com

thanks

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:12 pm

sent the file to

mini-torp@hotmail.com

ypou can also go to www.oneapproachrun.com

for more event info...

dj