Age minimum?

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Age minimum?

Unread postby VaultPurple » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:51 am

Is there a minimum age to qualify for different events at the World Championships or Olympics? I saw on his coach's YouTube page where Jacko Gill the 16 year old shot putter from New Zeland has reached the B standard when he threw 20.01m with the senior men's shot (World record for 16 and 17 year old along with NZ senior record). But they were told he was too young to compete in the shot at the world championships, but runners can be younger.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Age minimum?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:24 am

VaultPurple wrote:Is there a minimum age to qualify for different events at the World Championships or Olympics? I saw on his coach's YouTube page where Jacko Gill the 16 year old shot putter from New Zeland has reached the B standard when he threw 20.01m with the senior men's shot (World record for 16 and 17 year old along with NZ senior record). But they were told he was too young to compete in the shot at the world championships, but runners can be younger.

http://www.iaaf.org/mm/document/competi ... _23017.pdf

Lower ages limits
o Junior athletes (any athlete aged 18 or 19 years on 31 December 2011) may
compete in any event except the Marathon Races and the 50km Race Walk Men.
o Youth athletes (any athlete aged 16 or 17 years on 31 December 2011) may compete in any event except the Men’s Throws, Decathlon, 10,000m, Marathon
Races and Race Walks.
o Athletes younger than 16 years on 31 December 2011 CANNOT be entered in any
event.

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:02 pm

Well now thats just dumb. I can understand them not wanting them to train too hard at a young age especially with the decathlon and maybe people trying to get kids in weight room too early for throws. But if that is what you are scared of then do not offer the sport at the world level to them at all. If they let them have a IAAF World Youth Champs, that means the kid is already training for the event, so what does it matter what meet they are competing in? It is not like anything in track is a contact sort where you have little kids getting beat up by grown men.. that is soccer, where kids turn pro at age 14 sometimes! I guess someone being 17 would give them an unfair advantage since he has not had to gain all that unnecessary muscle for throwing yet, lol.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:46 pm

VaultPurple wrote:Well now thats just dumb. I can understand them not wanting them to train too hard at a young age especially with the decathlon and maybe people trying to get kids in weight room too early for throws. But if that is what you are scared of then do not offer the sport at the world level to them at all. If they let them have a IAAF World Youth Champs, that means the kid is already training for the event, so what does it matter what meet they are competing in? It is not like anything in track is a contact sort where you have little kids getting beat up by grown men.. that is soccer, where kids turn pro at age 14 sometimes! I guess someone being 17 would give them an unfair advantage since he has not had to gain all that unnecessary muscle for throwing yet, lol.

It's not dumb. They have implements of different weights for different ages and do not want the younger boys focusing on throwing the heavier implements. At World Youth Champs and World Juniors the shot puts are lighter.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:58 am

hye

poles are not different and if a 13 year old jumped 4.50 he couldn't go to the world Youth.. and he will still be too young in two years when the worlds happen again... i'm pretty sure he will exceed the standard..

dj

Return to “General Track and Field”