My first decathlon results!

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
TheBigMastodon
PV Nerd

My first decathlon results!

Unread postby TheBigMastodon » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:19 pm

Well this is my first year or track and field. Im a 17 year old junior. I tried out for the decathlon for the Empire State Games and had a very surprising first day. High jump is the only event I have ever done out of the 5 first day events so I had no idea what to expect. My first day results were as follows:

100m - 11.8
LJ - 20-10
SP - 35'7''
HJ - 5'8.75''
400 - 58.5

= 2900 points even

My 100m, 400m, shot put and high jump marks were expected, but how the heck did I get 20-10 in the long jump my 2nd time ever doing it!?!?! I got 20-10, then 18-11, then I faulted one that was similar to my first jump. I landed in a standing position and ended up flying head first into the sand on every jump. If I had landed with my feet in front of me I would have gotten farther. The only other time I ever did long jump (meet or practice) was for a pentathlon and I could only get 17-8. Im estatic, but also a little mad because I wasted an entire season triple jumping 37 feet to not even place in most meets. I thought pole vault was the only event I could actually score a point in, but I guess theres another now. I long jump and pole vault off different legs than eachother, which people told me is weird. I have day 2 tomorrow and Iv never picked up a jav before, wish me luck!
First year of track and field.

PR - 13'

Hit me up on AIM!

bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:57 am

Good luck and good job! :yes:
Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars

Rhino
PV Pro

Unread postby Rhino » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:39 pm

That's a great long jump! That's not at all a bad thing to use different takeoff legs for different events. You are fresher that way.

I jump vertically off my left (HJ & PV) and horizontally off my right (LJ & Hurdles). Let us know how it comes out the second day.

TheBigMastodon
PV Nerd

Unread postby TheBigMastodon » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:06 pm

Well today was interesting. I took a wrong turn on the thruway and missed the 110hh so I had to make those up later in the day by myself and ran a godaweful time. Then I got a PR in the pole vault of 12'8''. I never threw a javelin or a discus until today so I did pretty bad in those too, like 100 feet in each. At this points I had beaten the school record and my asthma/foot were acting up so I just jogged the 1500. I wound up with 4820....I know its pathetic, but Iv never done 4 of the 5 events of day two before. Actually the only decathlon events Iv done prior to now was the high jump and pole vault. I can REALLY improve on all my day 2 events. I have a month until the championship so thats plenty of time to learn jav, disc and hurdles as well as get better at the others. My goal for the Empire State Games is 6000 points.

Overall I was pleased with Day 1, but I know I can improve, especially in the shot put and the 400m. Day 2 was just sad, but with some real technical work I could match it to my first day I believe. I ran a 11.8 in the 100m and a 5-8.25 in the high jump, I should be able to get into the high 15's in the 110hh's. Disc and jav just need practice, thats all. The 1500 will never be a strong event for me but I could scrounge up some decent points with a little endurance work.

PR - 13'

Hit me up on AIM!

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:34 pm

that's very impressive for a first time, especially since you've never done some of those events.

TheBigMastodon
PV Nerd

Unread postby TheBigMastodon » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:42 pm

Thanks. Some of those events Ive never done could very well become some of my best. I would say I have the most potential to do great in the 110hh's than anything.

PR - 13'

Hit me up on AIM!

Return to “General Track and Field”