HIGH JUMP

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

HIGH JUMP

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:15 pm

HEY, I JUST STARTED DOIN HIGH JUMP LAST WEEK OF THE SEASON, AND I WAS WONDERIN WHAT A GOOD HEIGHT FOR A VAULTER WOULD BE. OR IF NE OF U GUYS HIGH JUMP TOO, HOW HIGH DO U GO? I ONLY WAS ABLE TO DO IT FOR 2 DAYS, AND MY FIRST TIME I WENT 5-8 :( , SO I WAS WONDERIN WHAT I SHOULD SHOOT FOR

Ajint_Smith
PV Nerd

Unread postby Ajint_Smith » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:24 pm

5-8 isn't too bad. 6 sounds better, but it's no big deal. If you're looking for an event to coordinate with vaulting, it'd probably be better for you to be in long jump. the form mimics the take-off much more than HJ.
The Matrix has you...

mcminkz05
PV Great

OK

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:03 pm

I DO LONG JUMP. THATS ONE OF MY EVENTS ALSO. COACH GOT ME DOIN THAT AT BEGINNIN OF SEASON, SO IV BEEN AT IT ALLOT LONGER THAN HJ. I DO HJ CAUSE ITS FUN, AND MY COACH MAKES ME SAYS I GOT REALLY GOOD FORM AND STUFF.... BUT I DO LONG JUMP.

pvjackex
PV Whiz

Unread postby pvjackex » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:36 pm

are u varsity or frosh

mcminkz05
PV Great

OK

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:37 pm

I ON VARSITY, BUT AM A SOPH

theflyingkorean
PV Follower

Unread postby theflyingkorean » Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:48 pm

going to be a junior next fall?

pvjackex
PV Whiz

Unread postby pvjackex » Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:53 pm

5-8 for varsity isnt bad, its good for soph. i dont know about your area, but 5-8 wont place in league in mine. but 5-8 for first time sophmore is really good. 6-2, 6-4 would be good goal for next year.

im just curious, how high you pv?

mcminkz05
PV Great

ok

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:25 pm

yes, i will b a junior next year. and 5-8 isnt great here either. we had the state champ on our team this year, and he jumps like 6-8. but i dont exactely focus on hj newhere near as much as long jump and pole vault, so ill try for at least 6'. ;)

mcminkz05
PV Great

ok

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:27 pm

O, dunt laught oo hard, but i pv 9-6. had sum big problems this year that i cudnt really control, so im hopin to get up to 12 or 13 durin training this summer w/ my new coach.

advath
PV Whiz
Expertise: I have coached a 13' high school girl, 17' high school boy, NCAA Champion and number 1 HS sprinters

Unread postby advath » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:51 am

"it'd probably be better for you to be in long jump. the form mimics the take-off much more than HJ."

According to an article in Track Coach, Summer 2003 #164, put out by USATF, and written by David Bussabarger the biggest problem for Elite Decathletes is that they have a "long jump type" take off. He goes on to point out that, "It is notable that currently 16 feet is a respectable vault for an elite-level decathlete and only one "true" decathlete (not a converted vaulter) has ever exceeded 18 feet...there are high school vaulters who have vaulted 17 feet plus with only three to four seasons to learn the event...The utilization of a long jump-type takeoff action in the vault causes the takeoff angle to be too high and substantially inhibits and reduces the development of forward force of movement during the takeoff. Therefore, in conclusion, any vualter utilizing this type of takeoff will significantly limit his/her vaulting performance."

I myself find that most vaulters that do a lot of long jumping takeoff on their backs too soon. Their hips get too far out in front of their shoulders as soon as they come off the ground, or even before that. I find their steps to be under a lot. I find that the top of the pole doesn't rise at the takeoff as you would think it does. Compare long jump style takeoff http://www.advantageathletics.com/polev ... hnson.html to http://www.advantageathletics.com/polevault/shuler.html . These are the 2 different types of takeoff.

In conclusion I'll quote former 6.0 meter pole vaulter Dr. Rodion Gataullan, "There are so many ways to pole vault". Without trying different things, letting coaches teach thier style, develop new theories, learn from trial and error... this event, pole vault will never change. Without change there is no growth. Without growth there are no new records. A quote right off our Home Page, "Please, have fun viewing everything Advantage Athletics' athletes do, listen to your coach and train hard."

Return to “General Track and Field”