Justin Gatlin admits to drug use

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Justin Gatlin admits to drug use

Unread postby master » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:10 pm

In a USATF press release shown below, "Justin Gatlin has taken responsibility for his positive test..."

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Craig Masback statement on developments in the Justin Gatlin doping case

The following is a statment from USATF CEO Craig Masback regarding USADA's announcement in the Justin Gatlin case.

"Justin Gatlin's doping case has been a setback for our sport. While we are glad Justin has taken responsibility for his positive test and will cooperate in USADA's anti-doping efforts, we are sorely disappointed in him. Our Zero Tolerance program is focused on educating athletes about the importance of winning with integrity. This case is a clear signal that we must redouble our efforts and seek ways to deter drug use and to punish anyone who may influence athletes to use drugs."

(Note: USADA's announcement is available by clicking here.)

This is very disappointing and sad for our sport.

- master

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:31 pm

too bad others in our sport can't own up to it as well.....(*cough*...marion,,,*cough*) :mad:

what I can't get my head around is how can they think they won't get caught. they know they're going to be tested, so how can they think they'll get away with it? its called a banned substance for a reason.....idiots....

notice we don't ever hear about vaulters failing drug tests....

has there ever been a vaulter caught? I know Darren McDonough failed a test back in the late 90's, but that was for pot and not any performance enhancing drugs.....
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:40 pm

ashcraftpv wrote:has there ever been a vaulter caught? I know Darren McDonough failed a test back in the late 90's, but that was for pot and not any performance enhancing drugs.....

Yes. British vaulter Janine Whitlock came off a two-year ban last year for steroids, that has been well-covered in the British press.

There have been others, just not BIG NAMES, at least not that ever admitted it.

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:18 pm

right....forgot about that one.....

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:38 am

ashcraftpv wrote:too bad others in our sport can't own up to it as well.....(*cough*...marion,,,*cough*) :mad:

Before you badmouth her too much, wait for her B sample to come back. The test for EPO is still iffy at best. BUT, if it comes back positive and she doesn't own up, I say we all bring our baseball bats and...

Scott Go Pre
PV Lover
Expertise: Former college vaulter, and high school coach
Lifetime Best: 4.88m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby Scott Go Pre » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:01 am

Gatlin Sentenced to an 8 year ban:

USADA, the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, announced today that Justin Gatlin, who won the 100-meters at the 2004 Olympics and the 100-200 double at last year's World Championships, has accepted an 8-year ban from the sport after testing positive at the Kansas Relays in April. Gatlin may appeal to have the ban shortened. Here is the response of Craig Masback, the CEO of USATF.

Craig Masback statement on developments in the Justin Gatlin doping case

The following is a statment from USATF CEO Craig Masback regarding USADA's announcement in the Justin Gatlin case.
"Justin Gatlin's doping case has been a setback for our sport. While we are glad Justin has taken responsibility for his positive test and will cooperate in USADA's anti-doping efforts, we are sorely disappointed in him. Our Zero Tolerance program is focused on educating athletes about the importance of winning with integrity. This case is a clear signal that we must redouble our efforts and seek ways to deter drug use and to punish anyone who may influence athletes to use drugs."

HERE IS THE OFFICIAL RELEASE FROM USADA

USA TRACK & FIELD ATHLETE JUSTIN GATLIN ACCEPTS OFFENSE
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (August 22, 2006) The United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) announced today that Justin Gatlin of Pensacola, Fla., an athlete in the sport of track and field, has agreed to the accuracy of the laboratory results from his sample collected by USADA on April 22, 2006. Gatlin has further agreed that his positive test constitutes a doping violation and has promised to cooperate in the effort to eradicate the use of drugs from sport. Gatlin, 24, tested positive for a prohibited anabolic agent at the Kansas Relays on April 22, 2006. His sample was analyzed using the carbon isotope ratio (CIR) method which determines the presence of synthetic testosterone or its precursors. All anabolic agents, including testosterone and its precursors, are prohibited under the USADA Protocol and the rules of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), the international federation for the sport of track and field, both of which adhere to the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) Prohibited List. Gatlin has agreed to cooperate with USADA by providing information that may assist in USADA’s anti-doping efforts. In exchange for Gatlin’s promise to cooperate and in recognition of the exceptional circumstances of his prior violation, USADA has agreed that the maximum period of suspension for this violation would be eight (8) years. Gatlin’s prior violation was for the use of a prescription medication containing a prohibited stimulant. For that violation, Gatlin served a one year suspension before he was reinstated by the IAAF. The facts and circumstances of Gatlin’s first doping offense are set forth in the May 2002 decision of an American Arbitration Association (AAA)/North American Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) Panel and can be found at: 2002 Gatlin Arbitration Decision. "The nature of Gatlin’s first offense for use of his medication puts this violation in a unique category," said Terry Madden, USADA Chief Executive Officer. "Given these circumstances and consistent with the international CAS precedent, a maximum of an eight-year suspension is a fair and just outcome."

As part of the agreement, Gatlin has reserved the right to seek a reduction in the eight-year period of ineligibility through the established arbitration process under the USADA Protocol for Olympic Movement Testing. The period of ineligibility will begin on August 15, 2006 with credit given since the time Gatlin began serving a provisional suspension on July 25, 2006. Unless otherwise reduced, the period of ineligibility will run through July 24, 2014. Additionally, Gatlin forfeits his competitive results on and subsequent to April 22, 2006, the date the sample was collected. USADA is responsible for the testing and results management process for athletes in the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Movement. USADA is equally dedicated to preserving the integrity of sport through research initiatives and educational programs.
Rely upon God with all your heart, do not rely on your own insight. ~ Proverbs 3:5

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:27 am

Please post a LINK when posting any kind of article...

This is a bit more precise as to what has actually happened:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... source=rss

THE DEAL WITH GATLIN
Details of Justin Gatlin and the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency's deal.

What happened

USADA agreed to pursue a ban of eight years

-- not life -- for Gatlin, who tested positive

for the banned drug testosterone at a meet in April.

USADA ruled that Gatlin's first offense, in 2001, for

a stimulant found in medicine he had been taking since childhood, should not count as a full violation.

Gatlin's attorneys said they will take

the case to arbitration in pursuit of a shorter penalty.

What did not happen

Gatlin was not banned for eight years.

Gatlin was not stripped of his share of the

world record in the 100 meters. It would be forfeited,

though, if the sprinter loses in arbitration.

Gatlin does not give up any of the three medals,

including gold in the 100, he won at the 2004 Olympics. Those medals are not in jeopardy, no matter what the case's outcome.

What is not known

There was no confirmation that Gatlin agreed

to provide information that would substantially assist

USADA's investigation of his coach, Trevor Graham,

for allegedly giving drugs to athletes.

master
PV Lover

Unread postby master » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:49 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Please post a LINK when posting any kind of article...

The link to the USADA official release is given in my original post at the bottom of the quoted section.

The first part of my quoted section was copied and pasted from an email I received from USATF. It is also available on the USATF website at this URL.
http://usatf.org/news/view.aspx?DUid=USATF_2006_08_22_14_25_08

rainbowgirl28 wrote:This is a bit more precise as to what has actually happened:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... source=rss

I don't think the San Jose Mercury News article is in conflict with the USADA release, or vice versa.

- master
Last edited by master on Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scott Go Pre
PV Lover
Expertise: Former college vaulter, and high school coach
Lifetime Best: 4.88m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby Scott Go Pre » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:56 pm

Sorry, but my coach emailed me this story without a link. I would have posted the site had I been supplied with one.
Rely upon God with all your heart, do not rely on your own insight. ~ Proverbs 3:5

ashcraftpv
That one guy

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:03 pm

SKOT wrote:
ashcraftpv wrote:too bad others in our sport can't own up to it as well.....(*cough*...marion,,,*cough*) :mad:

Before you badmouth her too much, wait for her B sample to come back. The test for EPO is still iffy at best. BUT, if it comes back positive and she doesn't own up, I say we all bring our baseball bats and...

I'll just say I'm not real optimistic about her chances, especially given her associations with other athletes and coaches who are known or suspected dopers (CJ Hunter, Tim Montgomery, Trevor Graham, Charlie Francis, BALCO, etc)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnis ... OE=SPOISVA

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:04 pm

Scott Go Pre wrote:

Sorry, but my coach emailed me this story without a link. I would have posted the site had I been supplied with one.

Search google news and you can probably find one.

master
PV Lover

Unread postby master » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:12 pm

Here it is spelled out.
http://www.usantidoping.org/files/active/resources/press_releases/Press%20Release%20-%20Gatlin%20-%20August%202006.pdf
It is the same link as in my original post. I just made my link so you didn't actually see the long URL.

- master

Return to “General Track and Field”