Marion Jones' 'B' sample negative

A forum to discuss other track and field events besides the pole vault.
SKOT
PV Pro

Marion Jones' 'B' sample negative

Unread postby SKOT » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:42 am

Marion Jones' latest comeback came in a laboratory, where her backup sample turned up clean -- a stunning twist that clears her to compete and could validate a long list of triumphs sullied by years of doping allegations.

The "B" sample taken from one of the world's best-known and most decorated sprinters did not detect the banned endurance enhancer EPO, her attorneys said Wednesday night.

The finding means her initial positive result is thrown out, clearing her of the most recent -- and most damaging -- allegations against Jones and paving the way for her return to the track...

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/trackandf ... id=2576909

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:22 pm

Maybe if they didn't wait so long to test the B samples, they wouldn't get so many B sample negatives...

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:20 pm

Maybe I am missing something but why don't they just test both samples before they announce anything? I think it would be better for the athletes that way.
Chris Milton

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:32 pm

cdmilton wrote:Maybe I am missing something but why don't they just test both samples before they announce anything? I think it would be better for the athletes that way.

That's how it is supposed to be done (and usually is). Any results released after the A sample have been illegally leaked to the press.

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:01 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
cdmilton wrote:Maybe I am missing something but why don't they just test both samples before they announce anything? I think it would be better for the athletes that way.

That's how it is supposed to be done (and usually is). Any results released after the A sample have been illegally leaked to the press.

News like this gets leaked because news papers and news organizations are willing to pay big $$$ for this kind of information AND they provided complete anonimity to the person that provides the information...

You gotta love how much the press is willing to invade someone's privacy just to make a few extra dollars!

Powervaulter
PV Whiz

Unread postby Powervaulter » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:48 pm

Does anyone else think it was strange that she tested positive on the A sample for EPO? Not exactly the drug of choice for sprinters, I would think.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:18 am

Powervaulter wrote:Does anyone else think it was strange that she tested positive on the A sample for EPO? Not exactly the drug of choice for sprinters, I would think.

It is useful in training.

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:04 am

Powervaulter wrote:Does anyone else think it was strange that she tested positive on the A sample for EPO? Not exactly the drug of choice for sprinters, I would think.

maybe her sample got switched with floyd landis's

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:14 pm

For a track athlete or any other performance athlete (baseball player example) they take EPO, HGH, steriods not to get bigger, but for recovery.

This stuff in no way should be taken, I am not saying that. But to understand why is important. They are not body builders or wrestlers who want to get as big as possible. They just want to get an extra set or two of a given workout or exercise in. So that their performances can improve. Times and distances are a matter of work the more work you can do the better your chances of improving are.

Usually speaking if you witness someone out of the blue being able to do a workout that they didn't dream of doing 2 weeks earlier my guess they are taking something.

The other challenge is that a lot of the products sold in stores could have this stuff in it and you don't even know. There is no regulations on supplementation sold in stores. Lots of times it is a matter of someone buying an over the counter supplement and next thing they know they test possitive and the bottle never said anything about the substance being in it.

Sadly these companies realize results sell products. Most of legal products won't produce massive results in a short period. So they put a little of this and a little of that in the mixture and kabam all of a sudden your bench goes up 30 pounds and you are training like a beast.

Word of advice if this every happens really look into what your taken it could be a banned substance. You can tell when something is legit when a professional athlete will come out and actually state to the public what they are taken. They know they won't all of a sudden test positive. Otherwise, they keep it quiet. That is the stuff to watch out for.

Return to “General Track and Field”