Pole Flying Concern

Discussion for all things related to the National Pole Vault Summit held annually in Reno, Nevada.
lonestar
PV Lover

Pole Flying Concern

Unread postby lonestar » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:55 pm

On my recent trip to Argentina, I arrived at the airport ticket counter with Continental's baggage policy in hand, just to inform the usually-clueless ticket agents that they do indeed take vaulting poles. Unfortunately though, while they acknowledged that they do accept vaulting poles for a fee, they told me the 767 aircraft we were on had a length limit of 119 inches, and our pole bag was close to 200 inches long, so long story short, no poles went with us.

I'm searching for airfare to Reno this morning and decided to check out the current status of Southwest Airlines baggage polices towards poles:

Weight and Size Allowance: Maximum weight is 50 pounds and maximum size is 62 inches (length + width + height) per checked piece of luggage. Effective March 1, 2005, overweight items from 51 to 70 pounds will be accepted for a charge of $25.00 per item. Items weighing from 71 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches (i.e., surfboards, bicycles, vaulting poles) will be accepted for a charge of $50.00 per item. Any item weighing more than 100 pounds must be shipped as Air Cargo. However, Customers cannot use SWA Cargo unless classified as a Known Shipper as defined by the FAA or FAA approved Indirect Air Carriers (IAC). For all Cargo inquires please call the Cargo Sales and Service Center at 1-800-533-1222.

So the longest pole bag you can take is 6.5 feet? Man, guess I'll have to work on my pushoff!

Anybody know anything about this?
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

kat_vaulter
PV Nerd

Unread postby kat_vaulter » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:27 pm

We use SWA air cargo. The only thing is that you have to be a known shipper. This way you can fly your poles even is they are 6 meter poles. HA
The price is a little more but they are a lot easier to use than a regular passenger plane.

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:03 pm

That rule says it is effective March 1, 2005. I have flown several times since then with SWA and have had no problem taking my poles with me at $50 per case.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:17 pm

This points out just one more thing about flying with poles. You have to check that the plane you want the poles to travel on can handle the length. Although this is a nuisance, it is something you can check when you are making your reservations. .... Been their, done that!

- master

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:35 pm

master wrote:This points out just one more thing about flying with poles. You have to check that the plane you want the poles to travel on can handle the length. Although this is a nuisance, it is something you can check when you are making your reservations. .... Been their, done that!

- master

All of Southwest's planes can handle poles. I am not sure about their flights handled by ATA. I don't believe any of the flights to or from Reno are operated by ATA.

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:12 pm

Just like my flight to Argentina, the plane was MORE than large enough to handle poles, but if you get the wrong sort of ticket agent and/or manager at the airport, they can throw that policy in your face and what are you supposed to do about it?
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:26 pm

lonestar wrote:Just like my flight to Argentina, the plane was MORE than large enough to handle poles, but if you get the wrong sort of ticket agent and/or manager at the airport, they can throw that policy in your face and what are you supposed to do about it?

True, that is similar to what happened to me a few years ago, the guy at the counter absolutely would not budge even though he was wrong. I think he got fired.

All you can do is be as prepared as possible, print out their policies, CALL AHEAD and make sure the plane will be big enough, write down the name/date/time when you do, ask to speak to their supervisor, and don't be afraid to get on the phone and try to get through the chain of command to corporate people.

There's always a chance your poles won't make it. It happens all the time to the vaulters who go to Europe.

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:06 pm

Southwest Cargo carries poles all over the place, from my experience they do a pretty good job too. My only international experience with them ,however, was from canada.

sd
i think before my days are done.

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:12 pm

OAKPV2004 wrote:Southwest Cargo carries poles all over the place, from my experience they do a pretty good job too. My only international experience with them ,however, was from canada.

sd

how much do they charge each way, where do you receive the poles from on the other end, and how far in advance do you have to get the poles to them?

kat_vaulter
PV Nerd

Unread postby kat_vaulter » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:06 pm

Southwest cargo usually cost between $50-80 each way. You should ship them 1 day before you leave. That is my experience. You can ship on the next flight guarantee. Call them. The San Antonio location's # is (210) 826-8571 Austin- (512) 530-4150
http://www.swacargo.com/cargo/rate_charts.html

Gchap7
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach

Unread postby Gchap7 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:54 pm

Would you suggest flying with the poles or shipping them to reno? Which is the better choice? I'm going united and I think i read that they will do it for 80. If I have to pay a bit more to ship them, but it would be a better choice, than I would rather do that.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:45 am

Gchap7 wrote:Would you suggest flying with the poles or shipping them to reno? Which is the better choice? I'm going united and I think i read that they will do it for 80. If I have to pay a bit more to ship them, but it would be a better choice, than I would rather do that.

Flying with them, but call ahead and make sure your plane is big enough to fit the poles. United has a really bad record with poles.

Return to “Pole Vault Summit”