2008 Pole Vault Summit

Discussion for all things related to the National Pole Vault Summit held annually in Reno, Nevada.
Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:37 pm

Aaaaaargh! I just found out that I have to work during that week. I'm not going to be able to make it. :crying: I wish, wish, wish, wish they hadn't moved the date. I can't afford to not do this intersession class they need me to teach. #%^$^###%!!!!!!!!!

colby41
PV Fan

Unread postby colby41 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:07 am

in the end, i got a ONE WAY flight to reno from Hawaii for 728 dollars....WOW. O wells, I'll make it worth it!!!
"Live Fierce, Live Free"

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:33 pm

I got my tickets yesterday for under $200 roundtrip direct flights from Southwest.

Remember that to get flights via Southwest, you have to go to Southwest.com, they don't show up on any other sites.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:08 am

From the Summit website:

2008 Pole Vault Summit will focus on the following:

Speed Development
Sprint Mechanics
Developing the Approach Run
The vaulter/pole system
Length of run and acceleration curve
The Critical zone and Analysis of World Class Vaulters

Credential Pick up Procedure

All Attendees : Athletes, Parents, Coaches, Spectators and Staff:

Credentials and pre ordered shirts will be available for pick up from 1pm – 6 pm on Thursday January 3rd and from 7am – 9am Friday January 4th at John Ascuaga’s Nugget Hotel in the registration area.

If arriving by Air:

John Ascuaga’s Hotel Shuttle bus will be available with frequent pick ups in the North Baggage Claim Area for individuals at no charge. The ride from the Airport to the Hotel is only 7 minutes.

If arriving by Car:

Coaches and athletes arriving by car will have a designated pole storage area at the Livestock Events Center separate from the attendees flying in. It is suggested that you drop off your poles before picking up your credentials or registering on site. Poles will not be allowed in the Hotel, you can keep them on or in your vehicle at your own risk.

Pole Transportation Procedure

If arriving by Car:

Attendees arriving by car will have a designated pole storage area separate from the air travelers at the Events Center. The drop off and pick up area will be available beginning on Thursday January 3rd and needs to be empty by 4 pm on Sunday January 6th.

Airport Pole Transportation:

Poles should be carried to the dispatch area at the North end of the baggage claim area. (Follow the signs) For a $15.00 fee paid to our staff member, the poles will be transported from the Airport to the Event Center and returned to the Airport before your departure time. When you drop your poles off and pay the fee, you will need to fill out an ID Sticker to be attached to your pole bag. Poles will be placed in a designated "Air Travelers" Pole storage area at the Event Center.

At the completion of competition event on Saturday, you will need to place your bags in the appropriate designated area according to your flight departure time.

FOR ATHLETES DEPARTING ON SATURDAY AFTER 6pm:
You will need to personally place your poles on the Designated "Saturday" truck on Saturday night by 4:00pm.

FOR ATHLETES DEPARTING ON SUNDAY BEFORE 9AM:
You will need to personally place your poles on the Designated "Sunday" truck on Saturday night before midnight (the truck will be locked during the night).

FOR All OTHER ATHLETES DEPARTING ON SUNDAY:
There will be designated areas to leave your poles for the staff to load on the truck at the appropriate time on Sunday.

**Return airport pole transportation will only be available until 4pm on Sunday. If you are departing after that, you will need to make your own arrangements for getting your poles back to the airport, ie, taxi, friend etc…

Special transportation needs:

Special Transportation needs such as pick up and drop off for individual air cargo shipping can be arranged for an additional charge with the Reno Tahoe Athletics track club and Paul Heglar. Contact Paul directly at paul@renotahoetrack.org to make arrangements. We regret BAX global freight is not an option for our staff to arrange freight for you. Please DO NOT ship your poles to the Hotel. They do not have accommodations to handle the poles.

2008 Tentative
Brief Schedule of Events

Thursday Jan. 3rd
Credential Pick Up
1pm - 6 pm
Friday Jan. 4th
Credential Pick up
7 am - 9 am
Friday Jan. 4th
Opening Ceremony
9 am
Friday Jan. 4th
Clinics / Learn by Doing
10 am - 5 pm
Friday Jan. 4th
Elite Competition
7:00 pm
Saturday Jan. 5th
Competitions
8 am till completion

Summit Pits for Purchase

If you are interested in purchasing one of the Landing Areas and/or Standards from the PV Summit at a discounted price, please contact Lane at 800-537-7117 for details and pricing. Equipment must be picked up from the Summit after the conclusion of the event.

KJ
PV Whiz

Unread postby KJ » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:33 pm

would you consider the summit to be a convention?
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:59 pm

KJ wrote:would you consider the summit to be a convention?

Of sorts.

KJ
PV Whiz

Unread postby KJ » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:11 pm

would that stop you from getting a really good deal if it says

JOHN ASCUAGAS NUGGET
Clients attending a convention may
not use this package for their hotel
stay.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:30 pm

Well the event organizers have never referred to it as a convention. Their top priority is the educational aspect of the event.

Conventions want people to book the room at the convention rate because the convention people get a kick-back.

I think the Summit organizers would rather have people come to Reno if it means they have to book the rooms through another site and the organizers not get a kick-back if the alternative is they not come at all.

Steve Chappell mentioned this to me in an email a few days ago:

By the way US Air / Vacation site is an awesome opportunity , hopefully some can take advantage .. Also SWest is promoting fares and reasonable offers.

So from a practical standpoint, no one is going to care or get mad if you book your room another way. From an ethical standpoint, I would feel OK about it as well.

KJ
PV Whiz

Unread postby KJ » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:06 pm

Thanks for clearing that up!

skyshark177
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach

Unread postby skyshark177 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:53 am

Anyone know how many have signed up so far?
SKYSHARKS

colby41
PV Fan

Unread postby colby41 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:04 am

Ok, so i've been trying to register for Summit, and after i put in my info and credit card, and press register, it goes to a screen that says...

D:DeclinedYYYM

go back and try again

and i can't figure out whats wrong. i also tried various credit cards, so i'm not sure what's wrong.

anyone know whats up?

-colby
"Live Fierce, Live Free"

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:06 pm

This is just a guess, but from the error code, it would appear that a date was entered in a format they didn't like. What makes me think this is the "YYYM".

Often, when dates are entered, they require a format and they sometimes display how they want it. For example: YYYYMMDD would be 20071208 for today. MMDDYYYY would be 12082007. You get the idea. Sometimes they want a "-" or some other separator and sometimes they don't.

- master

Return to “Pole Vault Summit”