Shipping poles on Southwest Airlines

Discussion for all things related to the National Pole Vault Summit held annually in Reno, Nevada.
DBH027
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, High School Coach, Former College Coach

Shipping poles on Southwest Airlines

Unread postby DBH027 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:06 am

As an FYI, I shipped my poles on 1/1/08 on SWA, there was a bit of a hassle as the new size guides they received for 2008 max out at 5"x5"x174" which would mean they would not accept a tube over 14 feet 5 inches which was a bit of a problem for me since my tube is 15 feet 6 inches. In any case there has been no plane configuration changes and the longer tubes will fit. they took my word that I had shipped with them several times before with no issues, which is true.

They took the poles under a contingency that I pick them back up if they didn't fit, last I checked my poles were currently on flight 891 headed for LA for a breif visit before they make their way to Reno.

The bottom line is to give you a heads-up that you MAY encounter some problems with SWA. Be prepared, they fly 737-400's I believe, know the dimensions of the hold in case they try to deny transport of your poles.

Safe travels!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:03 pm

That's interesting that it's potentially harder to ship them than to check them as baggage. I checked in a 16' tube with no problems about a half hour ago. Hopefully it makes it in one piece :D

Russ
PV Master

Unread postby Russ » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:09 pm

I just put mine through TSA as checked luggage on Southwest. My bag, however, is only a little over 13'. They only charged me $50! No complaints. They actually all seemed to be bemused by the checked baggage, and had a sense of humor about it.
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

kev44000
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt & Mark Hollis

southwest

Unread postby kev44000 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:35 pm

most southwest planes are 737-700 or 737-500 no problems from okc ok to reno just the $50.00 charge both ways i shipped a 17 foot pole tube

ec1vaulter
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach (All Levels)
Lifetime Best: 4.73

Unread postby ec1vaulter » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:52 am

I also travelled with a 17' pole tube with no problems. I think it is due to the multiple SWA baggage tags already on it. We used to get hassled all the time, but they see the tag and just tape over it without questions now.
What did you do to get better today?

mjaubbs40
PV Whiz

shipping

Unread postby mjaubbs40 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:09 am

ec1vaulter wrote:I think it is due to the multiple SWA baggage tags already on it. We used to get hassled all the time, but they see the tag and just tape over it without questions now.

Anyone willing to sell some old tags so we can have the same good fortune?
"If it were easy, everyone would do it"

Return to “Pole Vault Summit”