friday elite group weak?

Discussion for all things related to the National Pole Vault Summit held annually in Reno, Nevada.
realitycheck
PV Beginner

friday elite group weak?

Unread postby realitycheck » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:27 pm

I will be travelling tomarrow to summit,I here friday elite group is weak this year and the best are not jumping that stinks because that is a highpoint people have blamed it on the timing being to close to new year,following olympics and travel cost.walker,tobey and buller along with others i here are not jumping.I hope to see those guys,it wont be the same without them..

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: friday elite group weak?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:22 pm

Most of the big guys will be in attendance, they are just not jumping for a variety of reasons. Some are not doing indoors at all this year.

The elite competition should still be a lot of fun. The women's field looks very strong and the men's field is still solid.

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:07 pm

Is Derek Miles jumping this year? He seems to be a big fan of the summit and always seems to jump well! Can't wait to head out there tomorrow!
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

tennpolevault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Collegiate Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.65m

Unread postby tennpolevault » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:39 am

I can't understand why in the heck the vault summit continues to migrate earlier and earlier into January. It just makes no sense to me from a coach/athlete perspective, especially for collegiate guys. Don't get me wrong, I think the summit is/was awesome in its heyday. Very few people are ready to jump high right now and really shouldn't be if they are on any sort of periodization program which values peaking near championships time indoors or out. Many guys are still at a short run and into some hard training. Just wandering if facility availability or other not athlete-centric factors are driving the dates. Hopefully things will evolve toward a more "primetime" date so collegiates can make a trip worthwhile for getting bigger marks and meshing nicely with the seasonal progression.

realitycheck
PV Beginner

Unread postby realitycheck » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:40 pm

I am here and I am loving life>RENO baby,what elites are jumping,i have not noticed alot of them yet but its early.My goal is to see a guy over 5.90 and girl over 4.90 ...it can happen,there are enough studs here.just waiting to see some big jumps,cant wait...Is walker jumping?

VaultLove
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultLove » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:50 pm

Well, be prepared to lower your goals. I predict you will see maybe a 5.40/ high end 5.60 and 4.40-4.58

The ladies may be most entertaining toward the end of elite status

realitycheck wrote:I am here and I am loving life>RENO baby,what elites are jumping,i have not noticed alot of them yet but its early.My goal is to see a guy over 5.90 and girl over 4.90 ...it can happen,there are enough studs here.just waiting to see some big jumps,cant wait...Is walker jumping?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:34 pm

Last I heard Brad was not planning on competing at all indoors.

Return to “Pole Vault Summit”