reno

Discussion for all things related to the National Pole Vault Summit held annually in Reno, Nevada.
CyDori
PV Newbie

reno

Unread postby CyDori » Sun Nov 10, 2002 1:27 pm

I think that going to Reno is so much fun, but I get really frustrated and disappointed because I am not in shape and I haven't pole vaulted since summer. I don't know if I am going to go again because I don't want to have a negative vault experience and doubts in my mind before going into the season.
Always shoot higher than you think you can.

lonestar
PV Lover

Re: reno

Unread postby lonestar » Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:38 am

CyDori wrote:I think that going to Reno is so much fun, but I get really frustrated and disappointed because I am not in shape and I haven't pole vaulted since summer. I don't know if I am going to go again because I don't want to have a negative vault experience and doubts in my mind before going into the season.

That's understandable. A lot of the vaulters I coach are worried about going there as a beginner and making a fool out of themselves. As a Reno veteran though, let me assure you that you'll have fun no matter what, you'll learn something new no matter what, and you'll have a lot of motivation when you leave to train hard and have a great season no matter how you vault. Reno is for EVERYBODY in pole vaulting, not just the good vaulters, or the vaulters who have been training. Go there with an open mind and take as much information and positive interactions and experiences from it to fuel your entire season!
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

vaulterbabe247
PV Newbie

Unread postby vaulterbabe247 » Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:34 am

I am going to Reno this year! It will be my first time and I am really excited... :D I care how well I do in Reno, But if I don't do well, it won't upset me because Reno is all about experience and getting to be around so many great vaulters! It will be a blast no matter what!

PVDad
PV Nerd
Expertise: Parent, Fan, AAU and USATF Coach and Meet Director

Unread postby PVDad » Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:46 am

vaulterbabe247 wrote:I am going to Reno this year! It will be my first time and I am really excited... :D I care how well I do in Reno, But if I don't do well, it won't upset me because Reno is all about experience and getting to be around so many great vaulters! It will be a blast no matter what!

While Reno is, of course, all about the actual vaulting opportunities, please don't overlook the seminars that are offered for every level of competitor as well as coaches and parents.

The wealth of knowledge available to be plumbed is almost mind boggling and ranges from sports medicine and nutrition to small get-togethers with legendary coaches like Fraley, Petrov, Bush, etc.
That's my baby girl!!

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Seminars, etc.

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:05 pm

Do they give handouts and stuff or is it worth taking a tape recorder? :confused:
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19
The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.

indestructo
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former College Coach, Current High School Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby indestructo » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:12 pm

I've never gone before but I definitely plan on bringing a camcorder. So much can be learned after the fact watching the video.
"Heart"

indestructo
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former College Coach, Current High School Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby indestructo » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:13 pm

Or yeah listening to the tape too. I hadn't thought of that, good idea!!
"Heart"

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Seminars, etc.

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:24 pm

jmayesvaultmom wrote:Do they give handouts and stuff or is it worth taking a tape recorder? :confused:

Some give out handouts some don't as I recall. A tape or video recorder would probably be useful if you don't mind lugging it around.

PVDad
PV Nerd
Expertise: Parent, Fan, AAU and USATF Coach and Meet Director

Re: Seminars, etc.

Unread postby PVDad » Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:31 pm

jmayesvaultmom wrote:Do they give handouts and stuff or is it worth taking a tape recorder? :confused:

The "formal" seminars usually have handouts from what Steph has told me and based on what she had to prepare for the seminars she's given.

The informal get-togethers are just that, informal, so it would be likely that a tape recorder or video would be a handy item to have if the host allows it.
That's my baby girl!!

Return to “Pole Vault Summit”