Will marks count at Pole Vault Summit for NCAA?

Discussion for all things related to the National Pole Vault Summit held annually in Reno, Nevada.
TB

Will marks count at Pole Vault Summit for NCAA?

Unread postby TB » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:34 am

I know there was a problem last year with this because there is an NCAA rule that in order to qualify for the national meet, the qualifying mark must be met in a meet where there are a minimum number of events.

I know some coaches challenged this last year. My question is will they count this year? I want to make sure when we update our weekend review as I'm sure there will be several NCAA provisional and automatic marks.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:21 pm

Everything I have heard says no they will not count.

You should report the marks on Trackshark though, even if they don't count, they're still legit marks and everyone should see how the kids are doing.

TB

Unread postby TB » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:40 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I'll still add the marks, but make sure the media and public knows that they don't count towards NCAA qualifying (silly NCAA rule, in my opinion).

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:07 pm

TB wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I'll still add the marks, but make sure the media and public knows that they don't count towards NCAA qualifying (silly NCAA rule, in my opinion).

eh, not too silly if you think about it...these marks are set in a pole vault competition only in a hotel ballroom. hardly a track meet like the ncaa nationals. plus if an athlete jumps high, they ought to be able to duplicate the performance sometime later in the season, otherwise are they really worthy of qualifying?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:21 am

I say they ought to count. The marks from Reno are far more legit than many other meets at say smaller schools where the officiating is often some dad or professor who doesn't know what they are doing. There's not a TON of college meets like that, but they are out there.

Return to “Pole Vault Summit”