Reno will most likely NOT be counting for NCAAs this year

Discussion for all things related to the National Pole Vault Summit held annually in Reno, Nevada.
Bonevt
PV Whiz

Unread postby Bonevt » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:06 pm

I was there two years ago, i didn't really wanna bring it up.

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:01 pm

ec1vaulter wrote:I don't agree with not counting it for NCAAs, but my opinion is that if you should be at nationals they you should be able to qualify more than only at Reno.

That said, I still intend on taking several vaulters to the meet regardless of what NCAA decides.

I agree with that sorta, but if it reno wasn't counted last year I wouldn't have went to nationals and placed.

vtcoach
PV Nerd
Expertise: College Coach

NCAA Qualifying Marks - not likely

Unread postby vtcoach » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:44 pm

Here is part of a Feb 6, 2008 memo from the NCAA that casts doubt on whether marks from the summit will count toward NCAA qualifying any time soon:

Code: Select all

Qualifying Marks and Single Event Meets.  The committee confirmed its belief that qualifying standards used for selection into NCAA championship events should be achieved in the context of a track meet.  The committee further confirmed its understanding that single-event meets (e.g., pole vault summit, throw summit, hurdles summit, etc.) by definition do not meet the qualifying criteria outlined in the 2008 NCAA Men’s and Women’s Cross Country and Track and Field Rules book beginning on page 150.

The committee understands that managers of single-event meets may want to attach their events to another full-scale track meet in order for qualifying marks to be accepted from their single-event meets.  Therefore, the committee established the following criteria by which to judge whether or not the single-event meet is part of a full-scale track meet as defined in the NCAA rules book:

Qualifying marks will be accepted from events commonly recognized as single-event meets if the single-event meet is associated with a track meet that meets the qualifying requirements in the NCAA rules book, and if the following criteria are satisfied:

•   Event(s) shall be accessed by one admission ticket per day/session;
•   Event(s) shall be held on the same or consecutive days;
•   Event(s) shall share a name;
•   Event(s) shall occur/be held in proximity of location unless;
o   For demonstrable safety reasons (e.g., hammer throw) competition sites must be separated;
o   Due to reasons related to insufficient or inadequate facilities available for spectators or competition;
•   Registration for event(s) are in common;
•   Results for event(s) are in common;
•   Recognition/sanction of the event(s) must be in common; and
•   Awards must be consistent.

The committee will make the final decision on whether meets fulfill the criteria listed above, as well as the criteria noted in the rules book.

Return to “Pole Vault Summit”