Cody Doerflein wrapping up stellar career (IL)

A forum to discuss anything related to Illinois

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Cody Doerflein wrapping up stellar career (IL)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:15 am

http://www.thesouthern.com/articles/200 ... 028193.txt

Doerflein wrapping up stellar career
By Pete Spitler, The Southern
Wednesday, April 9, 2008 11:24 PM CDT
Cody Doerflein is an example of the ideal athlete - one that not only succeeds because of the program, but gives back to it as well.

"He's been good for our whole track program," said Du Quoin coach Al Martin. "He spends time with the freshmen and sophomores and that's a good thing for athletes to do and be a positive role model."

It's easy to overlook Doerflein's impact off the track because he has been so impressive on it. The pole vault is his specialty, and he finished second in state as an eighth grader with a jump of 10 feet 6 inches.

He finished 11th in state as a high school freshman, third as a sophomore and won it all last year with a vault of 16-1.

"Actually, telling people you are a state champion and the feeling that you get from it," said Doerflein, when asked what was the best part about winning state. "I hope to be a NCAA champion one day."

Now in his senior year, Doerflein has already won a pair of indoor meets at Southern Illinois University and Eastern Illinois University. He signed a letter-of-intent with SIU on April 2.

"Being a college athlete has been a dream of mine ever since sophomore year," Doerflein said. "That's when I started to really get into track and take it to the next level."

Doerflein is no stranger to the national scene either. A two-time competitor at the AAU Junior Olympic Games, he made it to nationals in the summer following his sophomore year, finishing third and earning All-American status.

"He really likes track," Martin said. "There's some kids where it's a dreaded sport sometimes, but he's one of those kids that enjoys working at it and is knowledgeable about it."

Doerflein also worked with Martin to arrange a fundraiser to benefit the program. The pair sold Pizza Hut coupon cards and used the proceeds to buy new uniforms.

"Sometimes, it's hard to get kids excited about a sport like track," Martin said. "It doesn't have the glamour of other sports, but he's gotten other kids excited about it and pulled them along in a positive way."

Doerflein credits Du Quoin pole vault coach John Gross for much of his success. Gross has had a lot of influence on Doerflein and the end result is obvious.

"Coach Gross has coached me ever since seventh grade," Doerflein said. "If I didn't have him, I'd still be a good jumper, but not as good as I am. I think he's the best pole vault coach in Illinois."

Martin is working to expand Doerflein's repertoire to other events, like the long jump, triple jump and high jump.

"We'd like for him to participate in at least three jumping events as a team," Martin said. "Hopefully, he'll be able to compete at the state meet in two or three events."

Doerflein says the pole vault is just as much mental preparation as it is physical. His room is filled with multiple books and videos about the event.

"I still go to sleep dreaming about pole vaulting," Doerflein said.

bulldogvaulter
PV Wannabe
Expertise: high school vaulter

Unread postby bulldogvaulter » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:51 pm

Way to go man. I will hopefully see you at the harrisburg invite.

TheDeanMachine
PV Fan

Unread postby TheDeanMachine » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:49 pm

i don't know much about his coach, mr. gross, but coach risley from mahomet is probably at the top.
senior in HS
PR: 13'
vaulting for 3 years

Goal: 14'6"

nickelbackgurl
PV Newbie
Expertise: Pole Vault Mother
Favorite Vaulter: Aw my son of course

Unread postby nickelbackgurl » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:03 pm

Congrats!

Return to “Illinois”