IHSA rules

A forum to discuss anything related to Illinois

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

g00eY
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter

IHSA rules

Unread postby g00eY » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:37 pm

Does anyone know the IHSA rules for off season training/vaulting?
PR - 13'0"

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Re: IHSA rules

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:34 am

as far as what.....facility's, coaches.......it probably depends on what you want to do ....I did pole vault camps with my HS coaches during the summer and it was no big deal.....as far as other camps we could only have like 2 to 3 kids from my HS at the camp at any given time.....i believe that is the only major rule with summer camps....though I could be wrong...rules change.
Man Up and Jump

g00eY
PV Nerd

Unread postby g00eY » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:54 am

I'm thinking that if we could vault once every week or once every two weeks, it'd help out a lot. Then, when we're not vaulting we're doing a lot of pole speed training, weight lifting (we're all scrawny), and high bar/rope drills.

I know for the local vault club we can only have 2 kids from our HS, or else that invalidates our IHSA standing or something. I assume that if we even can vault during the off season, the same would apply.
PR - 13'0"

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:47 am

Also be careful about training with NCAA athletes. I had gone back to my high school a couple years ago to just do a sprint workout, and the coach tole me I couldn't be near the high school athletes because they couldn't train with a college athlete.

The IHSA has some messed up rules.
Man Up and Jump

g00eY
PV Nerd

Unread postby g00eY » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:51 pm

Thanks for your help so far. I've also heard this rule before with the college athletes.

I emailed an official that was listed on the IHSA website. Once I get his response, I'll post here.
PR - 13'0"

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:59 pm

Hey gOOey,
You can only have two athletes at camps and clinic during the school year. Not two boys and two girls, just two athletes. Stupid rule!!!!

I will only let two of my vaulters go to any camps because as another coach said to me, the kids talk and you don't want to have another coach report you to the IHSA. It would means disqualification for you and your athletes.

North Central College in your neck of the woods has a number of clinics. Also, in Feb., Maine South does a clinic with Jan Johnson. I'm always there.

What school are you coaching at? I'm at Carmel Catholic in Mundelein.

Go to Vault Chicago's website. Tim Johnson have the club rules posted.

Also, ITTTCA has a coaches clinic on their website. They put on a vault coaches roundtable which gathers the best coaches. I never miss it.

g00eY
PV Nerd

Unread postby g00eY » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:18 pm

Thanks for your help! This is what the official from IHSA said, but I was unsure about the two athlete/boy/girl rule... good thing you clarified.

You can not attend a coaching school during the school year. It becomes a coaching school and is no longer a private lesson (a private lesson is legal at any time), when more than two athletes from one school are in attendance at a lesson at the same time. So, don't work out with your high school coach until T&F begins and don't take lessons with more than two students from your school. Good luck!

I'm actually a vaulter at Naperville North, and I live pretty darn close to NCC. I'm planning on registering for the NCC vault club. I had a lot of trouble deciding because it's hard for me to justify spending $300 on 9 sessions, but I know it'll be worth it.
PR - 13'0"

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:54 pm

Hey gOOey,
I tell my vaulters in the fall lift weights. Start lifting 40% of max weight, ten reps. Also, pull ups and ab work.

Before the weather turns, make a wooden plant box (skyjumpers.com for plans) and get a pole from your school and work on your plant, takeoff on your driveway at home. If you can get inside in your gym, pole runs to plant. You can put carpet on the bottom of your vault box and do plants in the gym. Most young vaulters do not spend enough time on the run, plant, takeoff. If you can make this automatic, you will be more sucessful in the full vault. Plus, you don't need a coach to do these things.

Good luck.

g00eY
PV Nerd

Unread postby g00eY » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:02 pm

vcpvcoach wrote:Hey gOOey,
I tell my vaulters in the fall lift weights. Start lifting 40% of max weight, ten reps. Also, pull ups and ab work.

Before the weather turns, make a wooden plant box (skyjumpers.com for plans) and get a pole from your school and work on your plant, takeoff on your driveway at home. If you can get inside in your gym, pole runs to plant. You can put carpet on the bottom of your vault box and do plants in the gym. Most young vaulters do not spend enough time on the run, plant, takeoff. If you can make this automatic, you will be more sucessful in the full vault. Plus, you don't need a coach to do these things.

Good luck.

Yup, this is what I'm planning on doing. I lift during gym 2 days a week, and hopefully I can get my lifting up to 2 days/week during gym and then pole runs/lifting the 2 days/week, so I'll be working out 4 days/week + vaulting on Sundays. However, they are remodeling our fieldhouse and for some stupid reason all of our poles and our sliding box are locked inside. Grrrr...
PR - 13'0"

Return to “Illinois”