Megan Weller picks University of Arkansas

A forum to discuss anything related to Illinois

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

Speedplay
PV Beginner

Megan Weller picks University of Arkansas

Unread postby Speedplay » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:31 pm

Pole vault champ Megan Weller picks University of Arkansas

(FRANKFORT, Ill.) Megan Weller has been competing in gymnastics since she was 5 years old, but this week, the senior at Lincoln-Way East High School, will sign a letter-of-intent to pole vault at the University of Arkansas.

The defending Illinois High School Association state champion will continue her pole vaulting career at one of the elite track and field programs at the collegiate level. Besides the numerous national titles won by Arkansas, the Razorback program has produced a number of Olympians.

Weller is currently competing in gymnastics for the Griffins and will officially join her high school track team at the conclusion of the gymnastics season. Selecting where she wanted to be a student-athlete for the next four years ended up being an easy decision for her.

“When I went on my visit to Arkansas, I absolutely loved it. The facilities were just amazing and the girls that I met on the team were all so very nice and I definitely could see myself there,” said Weller. “Also, when I got my first call from (Arkansas pole vault) coach Bryan Compton, I was so excited. He is a great coach and has proved it with all his success with his girls. I am very excited to be able to work with him. When I came home and took my other remaining visits, I knew in the back of my mind that that’s where I wanted to be.”

Other schools Weller considered were University of Nebraska, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, and Michigan State University, all major track and field programs.

Continuing her student-athlete career at Arkansas will be bittersweet.

“I have enjoyed working with (pole vault/high jump coach Bob) Cervenka the past three years and I'm going to miss him a lot,” said Weller. “I am so thankful that he has been my coach. He has taught me so much. I am going to enjoy coming home from breaks and the summer and continue working with each other.

“All the other coaches at Lincoln-Way East have been so supportive. Head coach (Caroline) Cunningham has always been there for me, I'm going to miss her just as much,” added Weller. “All the girls I've gotten to work with have been so fun. They are always there to cheer you up if you’re having a bad day or just if you need someone to talk to, I will also miss them.”

But before Weller says goodbye to her old school, there is some unfinished business about 14 feet in the air. Weller’s 13-1 best last season was the sixth highest high school vault in the nation.

“I started working with Megan two years ago and began the process of developing her technique model. This technique model allows her to develop year after year. Megan will continue to jump higher this year and I know this will continue at Arkansas,” said Cervenka.

He added, “Last year we set a goal to win every Illinois high school meet and that was achieved and included wins at the indoor and outdoor state championships. The goal is raised again to win every meet this year and this will include many national competitions.”

How high can Weller go in her final prep campaign? Cervenka says he believes Weller can go 13-feet 9-inches, which would be a state record and just happens to be the IHSA Boys’ state meet qualifying mark.

Weller hopes to reach high at the state meet in May held at Eastern Illinois University, and she has hopes that a bunch of Griffin teammates will join her.

“I am so excited for this season to start. I am ready to jump much higher and just have some fun,” said Weller. “I don't have a set height goal yet, but I will soon. A great goal to set is winning the state title as a team. We have the potential to be really strong at the state meet as a whole team and that would be awesome for my senior year.”

- 30 -

Return to “Illinois”