Harmon distinguishes herself on, off track (MI)

A forum to discuss anything related to Michigan

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Harmon distinguishes herself on, off track (MI)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:12 pm

http://www.monroenews.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... e=printart

Article published May 17, 2007
Harmon distinguishes herself on, off track

On Saturday, Shari Harmon accepted the trophy for "Most Valuable Field Athlete" at the Mason Invitational. Monday night she was at the prestigious Detroit Athletic Club for the Michigan Student Athlete of the Year awards ceremony.

It's dedication to excellence and hard work that made Harmon one of only six female athletes to reach the finals of one of the area's most sought-after awards, the DAC Michigan High School Athlete of the Year, which originated in 1996.

Even though she didn't win, Harmon felt the experience was well worth the effort. "It was awesome," she said. "It was cool to hang out with the other athletes, and we got to meet Jim Abbott and Drew Stanton. We even got some autographs."

Despite having only one arm, Abbott, a pitcher from the University of Michigan, went on to play for several Major League teams including the New York Yankees. He received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the DAC. Stanton, a quarterback from Michigan State who was recently drafted by the Detroit Lions, was named Outstanding College Athlete of the Year.

The process began when athletic director Bill Regnier and high school principal Dennis Caldwell nominated Harmon for the award. The criteria were that a nominee must be a senior; display excellence in athletics; post at least a 3.0 GPA and display citizenship through school leadership, community involvement and volunteer work.

"We are excited for Shari and her family," said Regnier. "Shari is very deserving of the position she has achieved. She is an outstanding student, athlete and human being. She covers the whole spectrum of the Ideal Student-Athlete."

Harmon filled out an application form, and in April found out she was a finalist. She was accompanied at Monday's dinner and awards presentation by her parents, Douglas and Lanna, and Bedford pole vault coach Jon Scheffer.

"It was incredibly well done," said Scheffer. "It was the kind of thing that makes a lasting impression on a kid's life."

A two-sport athlete, Harmon competes in swimming and track and field. She holds the school and Monroe County record for the pole vault at 11'7" and last season she was All-State, finishing third in the pole vault. Harmon also participates in high jump and sprints.

"Shari is an athlete who leads by example," said girls' track coach Scott Earl. " She is one of the hardest workers I've ever seen. When the other girls see her, they work harder too." Harmon has been to the State Finals as a sophomore and a junior, and was also Academic All-State both years.

In swimming she was primarily a relay participant, but also swam several open events. She helped lead the Bedford swim team to one of their best seasons.

Harmon carries a 4.567 GPA and is involved with the Principal's Advisory Committee, the Youth Advisory Committee and National Honor Society. She also serves on the Road Relief program at her church, Apostolic Christian, and last summer spent a week in Jamaica doing relief work.

With all that's on her plate, it would seem Shari's studies might suffer, but the opposite is true. "Actually, I do better in academics when I'm in a sport," said Harmon. "It forces me to prioritize. When I'm not in athletics, I'm just not as organized. I like the pressure to get things done.

The DAC awards one female and one male Michigan High School Athlete of the Year Award. The female winner was Marissa Treece who participated in cross-country, track and basketball at Glen Lake High School.

" She was really nice," said Harmon. "We talked at the first meeting, and I got to know her a little."

Harmon is looking forward to the challenge of the regional and state tournaments. Tonight she'll be competing at the regional track meet at Saline, trying to qualify for a third consecutive trip to the state finals.

"It's so exciting," she said. "The competition is intense and there are so many people watching."

Harmon will attend The University of Toledo on a full academic ride next year. She is still undecided about track.

" The coaches have contacted me and we'll talk," she said. "I haven't made up my mind on that yet."

Return to “Michigan”