Re: Grand Haven Beach Vault 2011 (MI)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:49 pm

http://www.mlive.com/sports/grand-rapid ... elebr.html

Grand Haven Beach Vault celebrates 10 years, continued growth
Published: Thursday, July 14, 2011, 1:00 PM
By Jeff Chaney | The Grand Rapids Press
Follow

Paul L. Newby II | The Grand Rapids Press
Bryant Wilson gets ready for a vault in 2009.
Bethany Hecksel remembers first hearing of her high school coach’s idea and loving it.

Rockford pole vault coach Kevin Patterson and East Kentwood coach Dave Emeott decided Grand Haven City Beach would be a great place to stage a pole vaulting competition.

That was more than 10 years ago, and the Grand Haven Beach Vault was born.

"I thought it was a great idea," said Hecksel, who won a Division 1 state championship in the pole vault her senior year at Rockford and later went on to vault at Grand Valley State.

"What better than to put vaulting and the beach together to bring people out? It is a unique environment. It attracts people that drive by and are at the beach to come and watch. It helps promote the sport."

This year’s 10th annual Grand Haven Beach Vault takes place Friday and Saturday at Grand Haven City Beach, and Hecksel, 26, might be the lone vaulter to say she has taken part in every one.

Forest Hills Central’s Scott Levering has competed in the first nine, but a trip to Alaska might prevent him from competing in this year’s event, Hecksel said.

"It seems so long ago," Hecksel said. "One thing that comes to mind is vaulting up the shore. I just remember how many people this has attracted. This has boomed over the years."

But it did start with some growing pains.

"First, we started with four shovels and a Bobcat, and worked until 1:30 in the morning on Thursday and still didn’t have it done," Patterson said. "We got back at 6:30 a.m. Friday and got lucky, because we looked down the beach and saw a guy with a front loader working. We paid him to help finish the pit. If not, we would have never have finished and there would not be a Beach Vault. We got done a half hour before it started, so we got lucky that first year."

And now?

"Now, we have it down to a science," Patterson said. "We have a guy with a bulldozer who lazer-levels it and we are always on time. We have gotten a lot smarter."

The first Grand Haven Beach Vault started with one runway, but now uses two.

The event also has attracted an increasing number of spectators and competitors each year. Patterson expects this year’s field to include close to 320 competitors, about 20 more than last year.

"What’s surprising, in spite of the economy, the growth has been strong," Patterson said. "That is a testament of the support parents give their kids. We have been blessed."

As in recent Grand Haven Beach Vaults, the competition Friday will include youth and high school vaulters. Masters, elite and high school elite vaulters will hit the sand Saturday.

Competition begins at 10 a.m. on Friday and 9 a.m. on Saturday.

"We have probably our biggest field for the guys ever from the elite standpoint," Patterson said. "We have at least four guys that have jumped at least 18 feet, 8 inches, so that will be exciting to watch on Saturday. And we have the NCAA D-I champion from Oregon (Melissa Gergel) coming out. So the quality will be good."

Spectators and competitors alike can expect a lively atmosphere.

"I plan on doing a lot of giveaways, so it will be pretty festive," Patterson said. "It should be a good weekend."

BEACH VAULT
What: More than 300 pole vaulters competing in 10th annual event

Where: Grand Haven City Beach

When: Youth and high school vaulters, 10 a.m. Friday; masters, elite and high school elite vaulters, 9 a.m. Saturday

Return to “Michigan”