How do YOU get inverted?

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.

How high can you go compared to your handhold?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:26 pm

2 feet or more
50%
1-2 feet
25%
0-1 foot
17%
within a foot
8%

Total votes: 12

gpc3
PV Wannabe

How do YOU get inverted?

Unread postby gpc3 » Sun Oct 13, 2002 5:26 pm

Since so many intermediate vaulters can get their feet up, but not their torsos, how do YOU get upside down?
You can never clear a bar you never attempt.

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Sun Oct 13, 2002 5:51 pm

I act as if I am trying to kick my feet behind my head! Over exagerate it and it will even it out so that you are straight upsidown.
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:47 am

as for as for your poll question, i can jump over 2 feet over my grip....as for you question, just imagine getting your body to be like a part of that pole, like your whole body in line you know, this mentality works for straight poling, but like, as for with a bent pole, just, well, it's habit, lol
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

flateric
PV Newbie

wacky.....

Unread postby flateric » Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:05 pm

hey its me....And im not even gonna say what i jump compared to my hand hold. Brandon, please dont tell. Well anyways, Lets just say that Wacky took first in state so hes pretty good. (Wacky whats milakovich's username???)
I hate you Brandon, you're taking Mr. Hysong away!

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultFreak » Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:44 pm

Geez, somebody has something against Brandon! LOL. Anyway, I don't even think I can jump to my hand grip. And yeah, I can't get inverted, I kind of just...I don't even know what you would call it. :P I have a lot of problems....
Pole Vaulters get high!

h2ojunkie42
PV Beginner

Unread postby h2ojunkie42 » Tue Oct 15, 2002 2:01 am

(Wacky whats milakovich's username???)

well um this is my username. and hey you spelled it right :) so that leaves the question. who is this?[/quote]

mooski33
PV Nerd

Unread postby mooski33 » Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:27 am

I personally cannot figure out how to get inverted on a bent pole. I can do it all day straight pole-ing, but I've gotta get this inversion on a bent pole down..I learned some new techniques at vault camp this summer (who would have thouht that I would still be learning things after 5 of tim's camps?!) that I am itching to put into action..as soon as this ankle is better..I'll be "on the road again!"

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:36 am

mooski33 wrote:I personally cannot figure out how to get inverted on a bent pole. I can do it all day straight pole-ing, but I've gotta get this inversion on a bent pole down..I learned some new techniques at vault camp this summer (who would have thouht that I would still be learning things after 5 of tim's camps?!) that I am itching to put into action..as soon as this ankle is better..I'll be "on the road again!"

You'll get it Molly! I believe in you :)

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:32 am

mooski, something that will really help....think trail leg....if you can keep that straight, not only will you be on 5-10 lb bigger poles, but if you keep that leg swinging, all of a sudden you've rocked back on a bent pole, it's that simple...lol, dont worry, it'll come to ya
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.

-Stephen King

vaultovau

Unread postby vaultovau » Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:39 am

thats true, when you swing your trail leg you should keep it straight it will help you get upside down, but also concentrate on rotating your shoulders backwards. cuase if you keep your shoulders at the same stop without rotating them youll never be able to get completely inverted

Vaultbig
PV Newbie

Unread postby Vaultbig » Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:40 pm

vaultovau wrote: concentrate on rotating your shoulders backwards.

I dont think so much about rotating my shoulders back as I do rowing my arms forward. You should drive your arms to your legs as much as you think about swinging your feet to the pole. this will lay your shoulders back where they need to be as well as continuing movement forward. any movement backwards while inverted is bad in my opinion.

lavasteal
PV Beginner

Unread postby lavasteal » Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:40 pm

i have trouble bending mine b/c my arms collapse. however, i have seen pictures/videos of me vaulting and i am <u><completely</u> horizantal and a little on my side. when i try to keep my arms straight, its like the pole bends a little and then...rejects me or something, it goes back out and i barely make it onto the mats. to get above nine ft i need to learn some better form : )
Who else gets to say they fly?

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”