Blowing through when planting under???

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue May 15, 2007 8:12 pm

"Not everyone owns BTB." Altius knows that KYSEAMAN has got a signed copy because he got it from the man himself. Dont worry 3PO, we are fellow kentuckians and I make allowances because some of those folk up there in the hills cant read - even if they have learned to pole vault. But taking offf under - do me a favour - that notion should have been dead an buried thirty years ago - still perhaps some of those kids in them there hollers n hills probably havent got tv yet. :rose:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

captainfalcon43
PV Fan

Unread postby captainfalcon43 » Tue May 15, 2007 8:19 pm

you should definetely come to Boone!
Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat

VegasVaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby VegasVaulter » Tue May 15, 2007 8:38 pm

I kinda know what you mean. I've been having a habit of leaning forwards while running, and now that I'm trying a lot harder to run tall, I've made maybe one ok jump. Because I'm not standing straight upwards, when I plant, it feels as if my lower body is going to swing under me, and I can't delay it like I could before. I know it's just going to take a while to get used to.

About thinking you'd get higher if you're further in, I think it's just a waste of energy that could be spent jumping, instead of pushing so the pole doesn't fling you back.
~George
PR: 10'

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Tue May 15, 2007 8:44 pm

hallvaulter wrote:that could quite possibly be my favorite post of all time

mine too....the third person adds a great touch to it
pain is only temporary victory is forever

hallvaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Randy Hall

Unread postby hallvaulter » Tue May 15, 2007 9:00 pm

most definitely
Coach Bob Phillips

Siros
PV Nerd

Unread postby Siros » Tue May 15, 2007 9:25 pm

I think I vault under. I'm not sure though. A lot of my plants are just on time to late and I don't really swing up when I vault. Is that what taking off under is?

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue May 15, 2007 10:42 pm

altius wrote:"Not everyone owns BTB." Altius knows that KYSEAMAN has got a signed copy because he got it from the man himself. Dont worry 3PO, we are fellow kentuckians and I make allowances because some of those folk up there in the hills cant read - even if they have learned to pole vault. But taking offf under - do me a favour - that notion should have been dead an buried thirty years ago - still perhaps some of those kids in them there hollers n hills probably havent got tv yet. :rose:
ahh well thats good to hear. Lol i thought you were just tearing up poor kyle there! :crying:
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

KYSEAMAN
PV Whiz
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 17'10.5
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud

Unread postby KYSEAMAN » Wed May 16, 2007 2:38 pm

Well obviously I still have no answers, because everyone wants to be smarta$$es. Altius answer my question...did Lawrence Johnson take off under? did he try to? has anyone tried to use that technique?

Why does the pole roll you deep into the pit...and couldn't you make up for it by using much longer poles? If you can't do this why not?

O and Altius that great autographed DVD that I am supposed to be watching is useless anyway, you wrote on the wrong side of the CD :no: ...
Follow me on Twitter @PVSeaman
www.takogrip.com - The ONLY pole vault grip tape.
Knoxville, TN

multicard18
PV Fan

Unread postby multicard18 » Wed May 16, 2007 4:55 pm

pahaha, smooth move!

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed May 16, 2007 5:52 pm

KYSEAMAN - All I know about Lojo is that at the end of his career when he won a world indoors and a silver at the Olympics his coach was agapit so if he was taking off under, it was not because he intended to. There is not a lot of film of Lojo around so i cannot tell you definitively if he he did or did not - because as I said he was not intending to. Perhaps agapit will comment.

I responded as I did because I have been trying for several years - along with a lot of other experienced coaches -to convince young athletes not to take off under, I began my mission a few years ago just after learning that three young US vaulters had died vaulting within about a month, I had been to Reno and observed the vast majority of vaulters taking under -most of them because that is what they aimed to do. I wrote a paper for the "Pole vault standard" at that time, then a book and have tried on pvp to present the modern technique used by the three highest male vaulters of all time and by many others who have enjoyed success. I also have tried to show that young athletes can enjoy considerable success taking off out - not under - that it is not only possible for the superstars.

In fact you will find very few - if any - experienced coaches suggesting that you should take off under because of the problems it can cause. My response to your post was because it was frustrating to find that after all the effort to convince folk that it was potentially dangerous- someone as committed to the vault as yourself - living in a bit of a pole vault wilderness - would actually ask/suggest that lojo or any vaulter would take off 3/4' under - it was a bit stunning and I must say dispiriting because clearly i am having little impact on getting the message across.

The only folk who deliberately take off under do it because they dont understand the problems it can cause - many of the others take off under because of faults earlier in the run and plant - a topic agapit raised in the advanced section earlier.

Sorry about writing on the wrong side of the dvd - that is what happens when you are 80 years old and technologically challenged. I though you had the book - where at least some of the issues are dealt with - in the myths and misunderstanding chapter.

The major problem with taking off under is that it does cause an early bend - the further under you are at take off - the bigger that bend is. An early bend leads to an early recoil - an early recoil leaves you 15' plus above the box and not going forward. Even if you get away with it you will find you cannot improve your grip height because you can only compress a pole so much before it kicks you backwards down the runway.

Sure the pole feels soft -the temptation then is to go to a bigger pole - but this only makes the problem worse. You will kicked higher but still come down on the bar in the majority of your vaults. One way to think about this is to see the chord of the pole as a spring - when you bend the pole you compress the spring. If you compress the spring early it starts to fight back early.

The only way you can really progress in the vault -and stay safe - is to use a free take off where the pole is unloaded at the moment you leave the ground. That way the maximum bend occurs when you are well into the vault - with your trunk/back parallel to the ground - and you are well on your way to landing deep in the pad!

Sorry the OZ humour did not go down well but i was trying ot bring a little lightheartedness into what is a potentially life and death scenario. :rose:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

carryabigstick
PV Fan

Unread postby carryabigstick » Wed May 23, 2007 11:27 pm

ALTIUS....
I know your not messing w/ KYSEAMAN. I have most of your posts and most are pretty close.
Last edited by carryabigstick on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"pole vaulters are made in the last 4 strides"

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Fri May 25, 2007 8:01 am

good morning

kyseaman.. i'm pretty sure lawrence didn't try to take off under.. big stick has it correct....

again... lawrence's "under" was a product of his run and pole carry.. pole carry and run...

let me put it another way...........

1. a "MID" that was too far out 2. poor run mechanics 3. poor pole carry and drop.. 2.. poor run mechanics 1. a "MID" that was too far out..

a note to all... please understand this..

in physics.. "a point in time" will define what comes before and what comes after... view your vaults in the same manner...

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”