Running Through Vaults

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
ctvault36
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'3.5
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: jenn suhr and brad walker

Running Through Vaults

Unread postby ctvault36 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:14 pm

I am a high school vaulter currently jumping 11 feet. I usually start from 3 lefts, then move back to four, then five. However, when I move back to five steps, my step is never consistent and I usually end up running through the jump. When I go from 3 steps to 4, I move back 14 feet in the runway and up one handgrip (I have long stides). Is there anything I can do to stop running through when I move back on the runway? Also, is there anything I should look at for mental training? (It could all just be in my head...) Thanks

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Running Through Vaults

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:15 pm

Your strides are probably too long for your ability level, you're probably running through because you are too far away! Learn how to run properly and you'll find a lot more confidence on the runway.

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:15 am

There was a thread that dealt quite well with this subject and the troubles you are having. The thread was called "Failure to Launch" http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=19187&hilit=Failure+to+launch#p137539 . I'm guessing that many of the problems you are having are talked about on this thread. Take special note of the entries that DJ has made. In most cases, with a consistent run (which he tells you how to get with his mid mark chart application) the confidence will be there to take off from how ever many steps you are out. The secret is retraining your kynestetic senses that will allow you the confidence to take off and not run through. Give the thread a good read and see if it helps. Later.............Mike

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:28 am

good morning,

i have found "run throughs" to be a result of an "out" mid (six step check mark) 100% of the time..

the athlete has a grip that they know has to have their best speed, best run… they start their run a little faster (which I feel they should) and in doing so have “tighter” more accelaerated strides from the start to the “mid” and are out more than their “controlled run”.. they intuitively know they are out, can’t speed up, start stretching and run through because it would be un-safe to plant and try and go up…

the correct solution has been to move the grip down and the step up until they are running correctly… to get the correct run more quickly you should monitor the run with the six step “mid’, encourage them to accelerate a little faster from the start to the “mid’ (natural drive).. and hit a correct “mid’ for their grip and they will correct speed, posture and rhythm of the run more quickly and get back to vaulting and taking off.

dj

11kalnmitc
PV Nerd
Expertise: college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.73
Favorite Vaulter: Lazaro Borges

Unread postby 11kalnmitc » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:10 am

i warm up the same way sometimes i'll go from 3 lefts to 4 then to 6 and then to 7 lefts, the reason i skip five is because for some reason whenever i go from 5 lefts i can never actually vault my timing is always off, i think it might have something to do with it being in between my full step (7 lefts) and my short step (4 lefts), however i'm not really sure the reason. i just know i can vault from 3, 4, 6, and 7 lefts but if i'm at 5 lefts things just don't click........ and yes my run does usually change at five lefts, either shorter steps or i stride out and try to make it a 4 left jump..... which i have also done but it didn't work to well lol.

anyways my point is it most likely is in the run but i have found no problems going straight from 4 lefts to 6, if thats your problem at least, a video of your different approaches would help :D

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:10 pm

hye

if you give us (me) your start point for your 3 left?..

your 3 left (6 step) mid for your 4, 6 and 7?... we can determine your 5 left run.. by a correct 3 left/6 step "mid"..

ok

dj

Barefoot
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby Barefoot » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Getting the correct mid is probably part of the equation for your five step.

Another possible problem at that run length could be the timing of your pole drop and run posture... from six steps you have a better chance to settle into your run before the drop. Inside 4 steps you are probably dropping the pole from the start. Five steps probably means one step then "start the pole drop"... the timing of this may be throwing off your run and feel, even if the "step" is on.

If you have a good three, four, six and seven, why does one need a five step? Unless it is indicative of a funky start or something else like faulty run mechanics, can one live without the five step?

ctvault36
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'3.5
Favorite Vaulter: jenn suhr and brad walker

Unread postby ctvault36 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:46 pm

i recently started going to another coach who is really helping me with my step. It turns out that I was elongating my strides on the last couple steps which was hindering my ability to jump up and run with optimum speed at the end. Also, I needed to change my run to not sprint at first which was making me decrease my speed, instead of accelerating.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! They helped me so much!

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:08 pm

ctvault36 wrote:i recently started going to another coach who is really helping me with my step. It turns out that I was elongating my strides on the last couple steps which was hindering my ability to jump up and run with optimum speed at the end. Also, I needed to change my run to not sprint at first which was making me decrease my speed, instead of accelerating.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! They helped me so much!

If it is working right now and that is what your coach is teaching then go with it, but an accelerated run is inconsistent and will never let you reach your maximum running potential. An I think DJ will back me on that one..

bengals315
PV Newbie
Expertise: College
Lifetime Best: 13'
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby bengals315 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:29 pm

I'm currently a freshman in college and I was a 13' vaulter in high school. Ever since I came to college, I haven't taken off. I have no confidence and it feels like my body forgot how to vault. The few times I have taken off, I was either rejected or my hands slid. I wasn't using a 14' pole until the end of my senior year, and now it is all I have and I don't know if thats an issue. When I do my 3 steps everything seems okay but once move back everything changes for the worst. If anyone has any advise please let me know, its so frustrating scratching at meets because I can't leave ground..

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:54 am

It sounds like you are psyched out by a pole that is too big (at least mentally) for you to commit to a vault. Maybe it is the right pole once you get confident on it, but if you don't have an "in-betweener" pole, it is really hard to get that confidence. Is there a softer pole that you can get up in the air on, just to break the cycle of running through?

It's best if you have a range of poles that allows you to jump from several different steps, depending on the time of year and/or mental & physical conditions.
There are plenty of times that you may not be able to put it together on your 7 or 8 step run, but could have a good day of vaulting on your 5 or 6 left approach.

You mentioned that you are doing 3-steps--is this on the 14 foot pole (stiff poling), or do you have a smaller pole that allows you to use a bending pole from 3 lefts? I find it hard to believe that a college with a women's vault program wouldn't have any poles under 14' in length! If that is truly the case, maybe the college would be willing to buy you a new pole to allow you to get your confidence back and get back on the big sticks. Or maybe your high school would let you borrow a pole that you can jump on, if nobody is using it this season.

Another option is that if your parents (or other generous person) buys a pole for you and donates it to the school, it should be tax-deductible.

Good luck, don't get discouraged, this happens to everybody at some point.
If you haven't already, you should read through the rest of this thread for many other good suggestions.

Tom

bengals315
PV Newbie
Expertise: College
Lifetime Best: 13'
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby bengals315 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:31 am

I have been 3 steps on the same pole just doing rock backs over and over. We don't have and women vaulters so we have no small poles. We're a pretty low budget Community College so the poles we have are all 14's and my high school only offered 14' poles for me to borrow. Its just frustrating because I feel if I did take off, after a couple times I would be okay. When I go to a 7 step, I freeze up and screw up my drop. Thanks a lot for the advise though, I just wish we had a better pole selection..

-Brendan

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”