figuring out the right poles

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
zachwinters156
PV Fan
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

figuring out the right poles

Unread postby zachwinters156 » Sun May 08, 2011 9:31 am

Ive been stuck in a little slump recently this outdoor season. Every time ive had a meet, the weathers been pretty unpredictable with either the wind or rain. Most meets, the weather restricts me while taking my warmups, Ive only been getting off of the ground a couple times before starting the competition. Because of this, Ive been opening up my competitions with my small poles. Usually I keep the standards pretty far back and end up hitting the bar on the way up. Most of the timeI move up to my next pole, bury the standards, and still hit it on the way up. The same thing will happen with my third jump. The reason Im posting this is because Ive had one meet all season where I actually got out because the bar was higher than I could jump. I really need some advice on how to make sure I open up my competitions on poles I can jump on and not blow through. Im going to try to start jumping on my bigger poles at practice without gradually moving up poles so I can be more comfortable doing this at meets. I have a meet coming up this thursday and the weather is supposed to be pretty good so hopefully this should help.

Zach

kev44000
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt & Mark Hollis

Re: figuring out the right poles

Unread postby kev44000 » Sun May 08, 2011 9:59 am

You need a coach!!!!!!!! Simple

Errc
PV Newbie
Lifetime Best: 12'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: figuring out the right poles

Unread postby Errc » Sun May 08, 2011 11:18 am

Well if you have pole A,B,C.D that you know you can jump on and D is one you ideally need to be on. Then don't start at A if you know that you will get in the pit on C. Start on the biggest pole that you are confident that you will get into the pit on. Make sure you get your steps during warmup, so that you are not under or out, and make sure you have a good takeoff if nothing else on your first jump.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”