Pole Vault swing

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
shabeast
PV Newbie
Expertise: current high scool vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka3U

Pole Vault swing

Unread postby shabeast » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:11 pm

Every time I vault without the high bar, I tend to swing my legs fully up to my pole and I also row the pole properly. I could do these very well without a bar but once the bar shows up my swing doesn't finish all the way and I don't come around the pole properly. I would look at the bar and not swing my legs up to the pole. I want to know a strategy that could make me overcome this problem or any method that could help me in ignoring the bar.
Thank You

Rosie<3
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9'6"

Re: Pole Vault swing

Unread postby Rosie<3 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:38 pm

I have a similar issue, but when i have a crossbar i do not pull as much and turn to early or not at all. I have been doing better lately, not 100% but i am getting there. My advice is to practice more with a crossbar and pretend that it is a bungee or that there is nothing. It is just a state of mind, don't focus on clearing it, just focus on vaulting the best you can. If you can vault without a crossbar, then having the crossbar just gets inside your head. My PR should be 9'6 but it is only 8'6" right now because the cross bar gets in my head. If your coach lets you, practice with the cross bar more often and eventually you will be able to vault the same with or with out a crossbar
Last edited by Rosie<3 on Mon May 21, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

straightup
PV Nerd
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14-3
Favorite Vaulter: lazaro borges

Unread postby straightup » Thu May 03, 2012 12:59 pm

it could also be because your looking at the bar when youre vaulting.
get over or get out

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Unread postby vquestpvc » Sat May 05, 2012 10:10 am

Try developing the top hand as a focus point at take off and keep this focal point as long as you can throughout the vault. If you are swinging well enough, you should "cover" the pole with the feet over the top hand and possibly see this position as you thrust your hips up.

Not always sure what vaulters mean by "rowing". There can be two meanings. To some it means to pull the hands down through the pole as they invert. This type of rowing has been debated and I tend to agree it shortens a vaulter's radius on the pole by putting too much pressure on the bottom hand when the swing should actually be completely through the top hand. With too much pressure on the bottom hand the swing will be effected. The second method of "rowing" is what is done when an individual is inverted and is pulling the body up the pole as the hips are thrust up. This action simulates the actual rowing action of a person using a paddle in a canoe.

Of course the easiest fix might be to not look at the cross bar.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”