Question of too much bend???

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
davidjRudman
PV Newbie
Expertise: 4 years high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'9"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Question of too much bend???

Unread postby davidjRudman » Sun May 13, 2012 8:46 pm

So i'm a 14 foot vaulter, but compared to most of my fellow 14 foot vaulters that i know, i bend the pole a lot more.

Here are a couple videos showing that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HriMSJzC ... el&list=UL
and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWw1hM3r ... ure=relmfu

When i was trying to answer this myself, a couple of things came to mind: Is it my lack of a vertical jump?? (i can't really touch rim even though i'm 5'11, i think it's just genetic really. it's hard to teach hops) Or is it my speed (i'm pretty fast even if you can't tell in the video, 11.44 100 meter time) Or is it my pretty good bottom arm??

Anyway, whatever it is, do you think it's a bad thing? If yes, what should i do to fix it??

Thats.What.She.Said
PV Follower
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Darren Niedermeyer :D

Re: Question of too much bend???

Unread postby Thats.What.She.Said » Sun May 13, 2012 9:58 pm

It probably has a bit to do with the fact that you pull down on the pole after you take off. It's easier to see in the first video because of the angle, but you can see after you takeoff, your top arm bends a bit. Then in the first video you can see you takeoff, and then a split second later your arms react and pull down a bit. This causes the pole to bend, but not in a good way. Funny thing is though, your jump looks wicked similar to my friend's who does the same thing. Anyways, work on keeping your top arm pushing up more instead of pulling down.
Lefties are cooler
I ♥ Darren Niedermeyer...NOT love
Put the pole in the hole and EXPLODE

davidjRudman
PV Newbie
Expertise: 4 years high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Unread postby davidjRudman » Mon May 14, 2012 7:30 am

Is your friend good?? lol

Thats.What.She.Said
PV Follower
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Darren Niedermeyer :D

Unread postby Thats.What.She.Said » Mon May 14, 2012 9:52 am

his PR is 13'9 I think, he struggled a lot transitioning to college track because it was the first time he focused solely on pole vault.
Lefties are cooler
I ♥ Darren Niedermeyer...NOT love
Put the pole in the hole and EXPLODE

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon May 14, 2012 10:19 am

good morning,

i see you stretching into the takeoff on the first one and going "flat", stressing the pole without an "UP" impluse..

the stretch wasn't as noticeable on the second but was still there and put you farther under.

Because of the way you stretched on number one, which may be the "norm"…. you are not "squaring" up for the plant, getting the arms up late and not "getting the feet down" correctly for an "jump"/up impulse… practice your run on the track… with a 6 step "MID"(approx.. 46 feet six step "MID". http://www.oneapproachrun.com) get your "feet down/piston action over the last six steps.. get a jump takeoff with the top arm fully extended, BEFORE the pole tip plants into a towel…

Us the best run from the track and move that to the runway.. maybe slightly closer at first (one foot) until you are comfortable and running, planting and taking off correctly.

dj

DLM
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Master, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 12.6
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragila

Unread postby DLM » Mon May 14, 2012 3:12 pm

As DJ said, you look to be under on your run, the pole is starting to bend before you finish your run, so you are bending your pole long before you can jump. a free jump would help your vaulting and lessen the bend in the pole at the height you are at.
Practice your steps on the track until you get consistent then trust them on the runway, when you get on the runway add 3 inch to your run and work from there. Have someone watch your steps, its always better to be a little out then under

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”