2 feet close take off

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
polevault-norway
PV Newbie
Lifetime Best: 4.05
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

2 feet close take off

Unread postby polevault-norway » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:45 pm

Ok. I've always struggled with taking off 2 feet under. For some reason I keep overstriding at the end of my approach. I dont seem to be able to run consistently. or more correct. Im very able to run consistently hitting perfect 2 feet under. I've just started vaulting again after a break after the season, and started with 2 steps (1 left). I thought I might be fine from a short approach without having to plant the pole, just starting with it over my head. but still Im in trouble. Its so consistent that I have litteraly tried just throughing my starting mark down the runway and starting at that random spot, and will, not surprisingly take off 2 feet under. I have tried a lot of drill work on the track, and trying to learn to run more evenly. Trying to learn to run consistently without worrying about the take off and planting it in the box. However I do it wrong even there. Does anyone have any tips on how I can fix this problem?

Heres a video of me jumping a while back. But technique is pretty much the same now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iBNm5fld8M&feature=plcp

altius
PV Rock Star

Re: 2 feet close take off

Unread postby altius » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:58 pm

Simple really. Learn to run -as fast as you can - but completing 20 steps within 20 metres. Although this seems like a very simple challenge folk usually find this incredibly difficult to do - simply because they have never learned to control their stride length. In fact it can take up to eight training sessions before you learn to run tall/hips high/high cadence. To make sure you are not cheating get someone to time you. Once you have nailed this you can move to 20 steps in 25 metres.

You can then begin to transfer this high cadence/controlled stride running to the last six steps of your approach run.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:51 pm

I addition to what Altius said. You are very late in your plant. This will always cause you to plant until. Work on this off the runway with a towel on the track. Mark the track just like the vault runway and work on planting a half step earlier. Start at three lefts walking until you are perfect. Then, jog three lefts until perfect. Then, run upright like in the 20/20's until perfect. Then, go back to 4 lefts and repeat.

This will take a long time with many reps because you have conditioned your body to plant late. Have someone watch you from the side. Do this as a part of your warm up until you no longer under.

Good luck.

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:38 pm

I lay a piece of the elastic rubber bunji across the runway. I tell the kids it's a snake and it'll bite them if they step on it. It works when all else fails. I appreciate the other suggestions.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:32 pm

hey

check the distance six step from the take off... move it in 2 feet so you don't stretch and can do the "20-20" posture and frequency...

dj

http://www.oneapproachrun.com

grandevaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: Three year highschool vaulter 1978-80. Now coaching highschoolers and competing in masters.
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Timothy Mack

Unread postby grandevaulter » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:15 pm

Watched the video. It doesn't appear that it is shot at an optimal angle to judge the foot position in relation to the top hand. Given that, it also doesn't appear that you are two feet under when I stop the vid.

polevault-norway
PV Newbie
Lifetime Best: 4.05
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby polevault-norway » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:51 am

altius wrote:Simple really. Learn to run -as fast as you can - but completing 20 steps within 20 metres. Although this seems like a very simple challenge folk usually find this incredibly difficult to do - simply because they have never learned to control their stride length. In fact it can take up to eight training sessions before you learn to run tall/hips high/high cadence. To make sure you are not cheating get someone to time you. Once you have nailed this you can move to 20 steps in 25 metres.

You can then begin to transfer this high cadence/controlled stride running to the last six steps of your approach run.

Tried the 20/20 drill today. Had no difficulty doing it. However, not sure Im doing it right though. It became almost like a normal high-knee drill. Take a look and tell me what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rhx-iO23_c&feature=plcp

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:53 pm

The focus must be on running as fast as possible! While ensuring exactly 20 steps in the 20 metres! Of course the athlete must not cheat so the knees must come high and the body position must be vertical -no forward lean. When you can manage 20 in 20 - get someone to time you so you know you re really going as fast as you can. However the stride length control and cadence -- not the stride length note - must then be transferred to the last six strides of the competition run up. In essence the challenge is to ensure that the last six steps do not increase in length over the one preceding that point - this coincides with the major lowering of the pole and the plant/take off. Normally increased speed in sprinting comes from increased cadence and stride length - over the last six steps the vaulter must increase speed - not by increasing stride length - but by increasing cadence. This keeps the hips high and enables the vaulter to better cope with the torque forces of the lowering pole. :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”