How to fix crazy approach run and grip issues?

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Aggietom
PV Beginner

How to fix crazy approach run and grip issues?

Unread postby Aggietom » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:45 am

I have a young vaulter who has some speed and the ability to swing relatively well for a newbie.

She has actually been vaulting for 2 years, but the work they've done prior to her arrival here was basically just 2 years of practicing bad habits.

I did a lot of off runway approach runs and measured her at 8 steps until it was consistent. Then we go to the runway (we usually do 6 step drills) and I notice from that same off-runway 8-step mark she is now doing 10 steps. So the addition of the pit has given her 2 extra steps. This happens in the last 6 strides as she sorta forces them in there. Is it a fear thing? Her grip isn't that high. Maybe 10'mid. She is currently clearing 8'6" without problems.

The other thing she does is slides her top hand down upon jumping. She slides it to the bottom hand and swings like tarzan. She does swing pretty well, but it limits her height due to the top hand coming down and not being firm on the pole during the entirety of the plant.

So....I keep saying to go back to square one and we keep going back to the track for approach work. She looks fine over there. Then the same crap happens back at the runway. What is the fix for this? She is fine on a 6-step approach, but when I move her to her 8 mark she forces two extra steps in. It is nuts.

The thing with the hand sliding down...doesn't do it on shorter drills. I've lowered her hand grip several grips down and she does it no matter what - always brings top down to bottom. I've even toyed with bringing bottom hand up toward top and it helps a little bit, but this obviously limits control of the pole drop.

Thoughts? It is frustrating because I know she can go 10' this year with even halfway decent form.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: How to fix crazy approach run and grip issues?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:07 pm

She feels too far away when you are backing her up to 8 steps. Scoot her in several feet until she stops adding extra steps. Make sure she is not overstriding on her 6 step run, you may need to move that in a bit as well.

As far as the hand sliding, check and see how she is holding the pole as she raises it. Is her grip sliding because she's taking off way under and it is jerking her hand down, or is she sort of sliding it down as she plants the pole, before it even hits the back of the box? A little sticky spray might make her more aware of the issue, if she's having a hard time feeling it, but it won't fix the problem.

Aggietom
PV Beginner

Unread postby Aggietom » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:49 pm

I'll film and get back to you. Moving her in might help initially.

And, yes, she is doing it as a safety mechanism.

As far as the hand goes, it appears she is doing it right upon contact. Her plant is actually pretty high sometimes (straight overhead) and she will slide her hands down as she goes through the air until it looks more like she is swinging on a vine.

She does it even if the grip is low - no matter if it is a 9' or 10'6" grip. Weird deal.

Aggietom
PV Beginner

Unread postby Aggietom » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:50 pm

And for six step "guesstimates".....how do you personally come up with them?

I have seen good vault programs all do it differently - some lunge step it out backwards, some run back, some use the mid-chart, and so on and so forth.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:38 pm

Aggietom wrote:And for six step "guesstimates".....how do you personally come up with them?

I have seen good vault programs all do it differently - some lunge step it out backwards, some run back, some use the mid-chart, and so on and so forth.

I just estimate. A really really slow girl (and I've had a lot of them) I start about 27'. An average girl 29ish-30ish. Boys usually 30'-35' feet depending on their speed and size. You just get them in the ballpark and then adjust from there.

Their six step shouldn't be changing dramatically from practice to practice. I usually have them start 6"-1' closer than where they finished last practice and adjust based on what they are doing that day. If they are all over the place, they need practice on the track with taking a nice powerful and consistent first step, and more time in the sand pit getting comfortable with running/planting/jumping.

CoachEric
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Private Coach for HS and College Athletes
Lifetime Best: 16'
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby CoachEric » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:42 am

Becca is right on the step issue. Your vaulter is running slower on the runway, so she is out and has room to squeeze in a couple extra steps. I prefer to have the vaulter take large backward steps from the box. It almost acts as a sort of mental visualization for the vaulter to be able to see where their feet are going to strike the runway. The further the run, the more likely you will need to add a foot length or two.

As for the hand shift, does she have a gymnastics background? I have found that young former gymnasts tend to shift their hands because they are used to swinging from a bar with both hands. Your vaulter probably feels like she needs the support of both hands to be able to swing. All you can really do here is help her understand the issue and back her up to square 1, with basic hanging drills. You could also try some 6 step takeoffs where she starts with hands completely close together, dragging the tip, and then gradually widen the grip by 1 or 2 inches at a time.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:02 am

morning

take a look at the six stride chart.. www.oneapproachrun.com

set up the run "mid" to grip from 3 lefts/6 steps.. when you go to 4 lefts/8 steps run back 2 steps from the mid..

10 steps/5 lefts is 4 steps back from the mid.. etc

use this as a "check" point..

dj

Bmiller16
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavellenie

Unread postby Bmiller16 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:21 am

Is this a highschool girl? If so an 8 step is probably very drastic and too long. This is often used to makeup for poor takeoff and bad form.

cspar
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Unread postby cspar » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:16 am

Good luck with the step, just seems like a mental game that will come with practice. As far as the sliding grip, I would have her try taking practice plants while just standing in front of the box and have her press into the pole a bit. This may get her a little used to the feeling of taking off and holding on to the correct spots with both hands. It seems to help my vaulters. Other than that, try lowering her handgrip to make it easier for her.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”