Takeoff Constantly Under

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
gobie
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach
Lifetime Best: 15
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Takeoff Constantly Under

Unread postby gobie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:08 pm

Hello all,

I have a Decathlete who is a sophomore and was strictly a discus thrower in H.S. This is his second year with vaulting and currently his PR is 11'6". He is getting much better in all of the other events EXCEPT for vault.

The one key issue that he has is being too long on his final step. He has this same issue with long jump as well, but is able to generate enough force to hit 6.80 (low 22) consistently . Clearly this has a negative effect on vault and this is one issue that I HAVE NOT dealt with very often so I am kind of at a stand-still.

We have him work with the slide box and we have moved his step from 7 left's down to 5 (in order to maintain consistency). The kid is a national-caliber athlete, however the vault is holding him back. I understand it is only his second year, but the clock is ticking.

Any ideas on what would work best would be very much appreciated!

Raizethebar
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 14'2

Re: Takeoff Constantly Under

Unread postby Raizethebar » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:35 pm

This is a problem at all levels and really kills the vault. A drill that has worked well for me is teaching the athlete to run from slow to fast and trying to divide the run into two parts. More times then not the athlete will nail the final step if they move from slow to fast. Try these three drills and then combine them into coaching on the runway.

Drill 1:
Have the athlete "bound" as you see many vaulters start out at the beginning of their run. Look for them to give a good rhythm and do not worry about the speed. Emphasize high knees and running tall.

Drill 2:
Stet out tape for 20 meters and have the athlete run 20 steps in 20 meters as fast as they can (This is the drill from Beginner to Bubka) and really works well.

Drill 3:
Have the athlete run three lefts with the bounding pace and then have them change pace to the 20 meters in 20 steps drill.

Coaching:
Now put a cone on the side of the runway at the athletes mid mark. Ask to them get good rhythm to the cone and change pace once they get past it.

This combo works well and teaches them that the run has structure and isn't just a full out sprint to the box.

IWUcoach
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former college vaulter and college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.20

Unread postby IWUcoach » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:13 pm

I agree with Raize as far as the 20/20's go and using a mid check for his approach for sure! You say you use a slide box but have you worked up to that using a towel box first? That can help. Also, without out seeing your guy, I would ask if he is dropping his left hand below his elbow as he'ss planting? Doing so will shift your center of gravity and will cause him to slow down and extend that last step to compensate for it. I like to take a 1" mat out and place it at the take off spot and have them do some 3-4 left approach work. You can start the mat "under" and work it back out until he is at a free takeoff. It doesnt hurt to step on the mat and takeoff but it forces my guys to set that foot down and jump before it. I would say also to pull a tape out and do some stride pattern work with him. Hope it helps.

gobie
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach
Lifetime Best: 15
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby gobie » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:25 pm

Thank you very much Raize and IWU for your help. These drills WILL most certainly be done and I will update this thread with the progress.

IWU, we have used a towel prior to the slide box, and as for the drop in the left hand, I never even thought about checking for that in his vaults... Until now. I'm almost positive that he is, thanks for the heads up!

Thanks again and if there are any other ideas that you may have, feel free to chip in!

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Unread postby vquestpvc » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:27 am

In my 30+ years of coaching track it has become more apparent that many people want to separate the pole vault from the other jumps in track; particularly the long and high jumps. When in fact, all 3 require a similar technique: the take off. It is very interesting to note that you stated that your athlete also has problems being "over" in the long jump.

To the point: we don't spend neverly enough time teaching our athletes how to take off. Particularly the penultimate step (and why) and then the take off foot (and how). It is essential in all 3 jumps that the center of gravity is lowered while maintaining speed at take off; the penultimate step. But from this coach's experience it is even more important to realize that the take off foot must go down through the ground at take off. Typically, vaulters, like long jumpers, "run through" the take off and thus are "under" for vaulters and "over" for long jumps. The previously noted drills are good, but every drill develops a specific technique. We constantly (every practice and meet warm-up) do what I refer to as "run overs". Essentially, the athlete vaults on the ground. This drill requires the athlete to jump up on the pole. And as the athlete gets better, have him move his hand up the pole. This drill is reviewed by the coach or athlete a couple of ways: the vaulter should continue on a straight line and, his speed should continue through so that he cannot easily stop. The repeated cue is "put your foot down through the ground". If my vaulters are having problems being "under" during a meet, I ask "are you putting your foot down through the ground" and if there are doubts, have them go off to the side and do run overs. This drill also helps develop the concept of a "free take off". The fact is, a good technically sound take off is essential in the vault; and LJ & HJ. Ask any basketball player about a good take off during a layup.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:07 pm

vquestpvc wrote: Ask any basketball player about a good take off during a layup.
:yes:
Kirk Bryde
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”